Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 12:18   #2371
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

An update on the Poonamalle - Walajahpet toll road

http://www.financialexpress.com/econ...ilders/272706/

The Essel group has been playing truant for a while now. They don't seem to be committed to this project. There were similar issues raised prior to starting work in 2013 as well. Hope the project goes to L&T. Their stretch is the best I've seen.
Mubeen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:09   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
An update on the Poonamalle - Walajahpet toll road

http://www.financialexpress.com/econ...ilders/272706/

The Essel group has been playing truant for a while now. They don't seem to be committed to this project. There were similar issues raised prior to starting work in 2013 as well. Hope the project goes to L&T. Their stretch is the best I've seen.
L&T is also one of the most expensive too. They used to produce really smooth roads like the Krisnagiri- Salem highway. Now though, it's bumpy.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:01   #2373
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the best way to get to VGP Prabhu Nagar (Perumbakkam Road) from Kancheepuram after lunch at Regency (GRT) ?
How are the State highway roads - Walajahbad, Vandalur, etc ?
Google is suggesting this route - Link
Old 10th August 2016, 21:18   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What is the best way to get to VGP Prabhu Nagar (Perumbakkam Road) from Kancheepuram after lunch at Regency (GRT) ?
How are the State highway roads - Walajahbad, Vandalur, etc ?
Google is suggesting this route - Link
You could take the blue route highlighted by Google. Please note the roads will be congested when you near Tambaram.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:24   #2375
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
You could take the blue route highlighted by Google. Please note the roads will be congested when you near Tambaram.
Thanks!
How about this one ? Only difference is the portion circled. Instead of going all the way till the Vandalur junction, can we take this road to the left ?
Map Link

Map image here:
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-route.png
Old 11th August 2016, 11:59   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
How about this one ? Only difference is the portion circled. Instead of going all the way till the Vandalur junction, can we take this road to the left ?
Map Link

Map image here:
Attachment 1540633
That takes you through west tambaram (Selaiyur etc). That is a single long road, mostly smooth - but careful as there are occasional groups of stray cattle happily resting on / beside the road's median.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 12:21   #2377
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That takes you through west tambaram (Selaiyur etc). That is a single long road, mostly smooth - but careful as there are occasional groups of stray cattle happily resting on / beside the road's median.
From the map, it seems that is better to via Mudichur road since there is just the junction with the Chennai ORR (is there an underpass or flyover here ?) and after that one can get on to the Tambaram-Velachery road directly.

As compared to that if one stayed on the Vandalur road, ends up at the Tamabram flyover (several junctions there and difficult for a first timer to easily spot the road to take).
Hence the above plan, let me know if that's a good idea

Last edited by NPV : 11th August 2016 at 12:22.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:40   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is compared to that if one stayed on the Vandalur road, ends up at the Tamabram flyover (several junctions there and difficult for a first timer to easily spot the road to take).
The junctions are clearly signposted and there's always google maps

Don't worry it is a straightforward route.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 13:28   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
From the map, it seems that is better to via Mudichur road since there is just the junction with the Chennai ORR (is there an underpass or flyover here ?) and after that one can get on to the Tambaram-Velachery road directly
For crossing the ORR, you will take the underpass, not much confusion here. The section highlighted in your previous post is 2 lane road separated by divider and mostly in decent condition.
Quote:
As compared to that if one stayed on the Vandalur road, ends up at the Tamabram flyover (several junctions there and difficult for a first timer to easily spot the road to take).
You need to take the ramp from GST to climb the flyover, and take the second exit at the roundabout towards Tambaram.
It is better to take the first route, since sometimes the traffic around Vandalur could get chaotic depending on your time of travel.

By the way, I stay near to your destination place, so in case of any help, you can reach me. I will PM my number
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 11:39   #2380
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @searacer932, @hserus and @Makin Rulesz for all the inputs, had a peaceful drive.

Took the Kancheepuram-Chengalpet Road (SH 58)-Walajahbad-Oragadam-Mudichur Road (SH 48) and Velachery-Tambaram road (SH 110) to get to Perumbakkam and reached in about 2 hours.

SH 58 is 2 laned and narrow at some places but road conditions are good with the odd rough patch. From the SH 48 turn off, it becomes a 4 laned road with median but not very wide. After the Apollo tyres factory at Oragadam, 6 laning work is in progress so there are several deviations with 2 lanes usable for traffic in both directions but wasn't too slow since traffic was low. The construction zone continues till the Mudichur road turn off to left near Mannivakkam. From here it becomes 2 lane road with median and quite narrow. It goes below the Chennai ORR and gets you to the flyover roundtana near Tambaram and the second exit joins the Velachery-Tambaram road. This road is quite wide with many traffic signals and road widening work. Since it was late afternoon, traffic was manageable.

Next day, took the Velachery road to get to T Nagar in the afternoon. Nearing Mount Road, the traffic was very heavy especially at the large junction before CIT Nagar (Anna Nagar ?) due to Metro construction work. Took almost 1.5-2 hours to reach T Nagar.
And, the usual drama around Panagal Park, there are probably more humans on the roads here than vehicles

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2016 at 11:42.
Old 16th August 2016, 12:02   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Next day, took the Velachery road to get to T Nagar in the afternoon. Nearing Mount Road, the traffic was very heavy especially at the large junction before CIT Nagar (Anna Nagar ?) due to Metro construction work. Took almost 1.5-2 hours to reach T Nagar.
And, the usual drama around Panagal Park, there are probably more humans on the roads here than vehicles
The junction you are referring here is CIT Nagar, Nandanam and not Anna Nagar. The road next DSC Hyundai Show room at this junction will lead to T Nagar Bus Terminus via South Usman Road. The stretch from Saidapet Junction till Gemini Flyover is in a complete mess nowadays due to Metro work and the traffic chaos is intense during peak hours!
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:42   #2382

Recently on Aug 15th holiday I did Bangalore-Chennai trip.
After Essel Walajahapet toll gate the road (> 110 km stretch) was pretty bad in condition that the patchy worked road did slow down the speed to <80 kmph. The toll 45 Rs. is not justified at all. The 3 lane widening seems stopped or I am seeing in the same state for a quite a long time now.
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:37   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manickaraj View Post
Recently on Aug 15th holiday I did Bangalore-Chennai trip.
After Essel Walajahapet toll gate the road (> 110 km stretch) was pretty bad in condition that the patchy worked road did slow down the speed to <80 kmph. The toll 45 Rs. is not justified at all. .
Oh yeah, this weekend was specially worse on Chennai - Kanchipuram segment of Bangalore highway. As per my friend, T.Nagar to kanchipuram trip took 3 hours instead of normal 1.5 hours. From kanchipuram, he came back via Tambaram in 2 hours instead of taking the same route back
Old 27th August 2016, 14:48   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Came to Chennai for some personal work. Started at 7, and at 12 was turning off the GQ at Sriperumbudur towards Oragadam (with a 45-minute fuel+breakfast break in between at BPCL/A2B Shoolagiri). I thought that was a very good run - in fact, did Krishnagiri-Pallikonda toll to toll in about 70 minutes (100 km). More enterprising drivers might be able to manage this in less than an hour.

The Oragadam-Vandalur stretch is being 6-laned. Which tells me how long it has been since I came to Chennai - last time I came bulk of this sector was single carriageway. :-) What is the status of the alternative route from Sriperumbudur to Vandalur via Manimangalam - is it all good roads?

It seems to me Bangalore-Chennai is now possible within 5 hours. By which I mean Hosur-Sriperumbudur (270 km) in more or less 3 hours.

Now what they need to do is to expand the capacity of the toll booths. Apart from fixing the terrible stretch after Chennasamudram toll towards Sriperumbudur.
Old 27th August 2016, 16:16   #2385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The Oragadam-Vandalur stretch is being 6-laned. Which tells me how long it has been since I came to Chennai - last time I came bulk of this sector was single carriageway. :-) What is the status of the alternative route from Sriperumbudur to Vandalur via Manimangalam - is it all good roads?
If you plan to head on radial ring road via Pallavaram, Manimangalam makes much more sense.

Quote:
It seems to me Bangalore-Chennai is now possible within 5 hours. By which I mean Hosur-Sriperumbudur (270 km) in more or less 3 hours.
Cant comment on timings. But it sure has improved. What has helped is Bangalore-Krishnagiri 6-lane. So Bangalore-Arcot can be covered swiftly.

And beyond is the bus and truck menace. Sriperumbudur-Tambaram-Destination can be deterministically managed in 1 hour easily

Last edited by ampere : 27th August 2016 at 16:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks