Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 19:41   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Hello experts,

I have a wedding to attend at Thiruppur next week. I need to reach the venue at 6:30am and plan to take the usual Hosur- Krishnagiri-dharmapuri- Bhavani route. Would I get there on time if I leave by 3:30am? Car is a Creta 1.6 with HID lights and I am used to night driving. Please advice.
Thanks!
It takes 5 to 6 hours easily to reach Tiruppur. Go by train or reach the previous night.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 19:48   #1007
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Hello experts,

I have a wedding to attend at Thiruppur next week. I need to reach the venue at 6:30am and plan to take the usual Hosur- Krishnagiri-dharmapuri- Bhavani route. Would I get there on time if I leave by 3:30am? Car is a Creta 1.6 with HID lights and I am used to night driving. Please advice.
Thanks!
Absolutely impossible. Please don't even try it. I believe it will be around 320km and you would need to average 100 per hour.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 21:05   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello experts,

Thanks!

If you are used to night drives, then why not start at 2:30am? Its possible to cover this distance in 4 hours as long as the tolls are not crowded.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 22:07   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Like many have said already its not advisable at all. I did a weekend trip to Coimbatore and it took an extra hour due to the ongoing road work (tar laying) between Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri- Thoppur. Please avoid driving during night / odd hours especially if you're travelling with family. Good luck!
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 12:30   #1010
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your valuable advice. I have decided to drive the previous day itself and drive back after the wedding. Thanks again!
Old 10th April 2019, 10:04   #1011
BHPian

Last week I had a trip to Tiruppur. I traveled via the regular route. While returning I had a work in hosur. Hence took a detour from Dharmapuri. Took the Palacode - Royakottai route. I must say this route is scenic and pleasant to drive. Because of the abundance of trees I didnt feel the scorching summer heat. Moreover this route was some 10 to 20 odd KMs short. I reached hosur in 1hr 15 mins from Dharmapuri which is very less than the regular route! Average speed was in the range of 60 to 80kms since its a 2 lane state highways. Is there any other route like this from Salem to Dharmapuri?
Old 10th April 2019, 11:33   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Last week I had a trip to Tiruppur. I traveled via the regular route. While returning I had a work in hosur. Hence took a detour from Dharmapuri. Took the Palacode - Royakottai route. I must say this route is scenic and pleasant to drive. Because of the abundance of trees I didnt feel the scorching summer heat. Moreover this route was some 10 to 20 odd KMs short. I reached hosur in 1hr 15 mins from Dharmapuri which is very less than the regular route! Average speed was in the range of 60 to 80kms since its a 2 lane state highways. Is there any other route like this from Salem to Dharmapuri?
If you are coming from Coimbatore\Erode towards Bangalore, then there are two options (other than the one you mentioned):
1. Near Sankagiri you can turn left and reach Omalur.
2. You can enter Bhavani and go to Mettur and reach near Thoppur Ghats.

These are normal State Highway roads. They are scenic and cool.
The only difference between these roads and the NH is that you need to shift gears often due to numerous villages, speed breakers, people running around, lorries, two-wheelers, etc.
Speed depends on one's expertise in handling such roads and traffic.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:18   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
While coming from Tiruppur, you can go via Edappadi, Jalagandapuram, Nangavalli, Mecheri and Mettur before joining the NH.
Other option is via Omalur, Tharamangalam, Mecheri, Pennagaram and Palacode.

In the 2nd option, you can avoid paying toll at Thoppur.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:40   #1014
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
While coming from Tiruppur, you can go via Edappadi, Jalagandapuram, Nangavalli, Mecheri and Mettur before joining the NH.
Other option is via Omalur, Tharamangalam, Mecheri, Pennagaram and Palacode.

In the 2nd option, you can avoid paying toll at Thoppur.
Suresh, how's the Edappadi, Jalakandapuram, Mecheri road? Any idea?

Thinking if that's a worthy alternative to escape the truck traffic on Tharamangalam.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:46   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Suresh, how's the Edappadi, Jalakandapuram, Mecheri road? Any idea?

Thinking if that's a worthy alternative to escape the truck traffic on Tharamangalam.
I have done the above route 3 times. The last I went by this route was 2 days before Diwali 2018. I had been to Tex valley.
For the onward journey, took the Thoppur, Mettur, Bhavani route. For the return journey cam by the route via Jalagandapuram, Nangavalli. Less traffic when compared to Mettur Bhavani route.
ROB was being constructed at Mettur Rly stn. I suppose this should be over by now. Assuming if it is ready by now, it is smooth sailing rather than taking a detour around the station.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:58   #1016
BHPian

One issue on these roads you need to be aware of is the truck traffic. If you are struck behind a convoy of slow moving trucks, its difficult to overtake.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:51   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on north BLR to Coimbatore?

Have a couple of business meetings at 1100 in Coimbatore city. Can take a flight but was exploring combining a pleasure trip too by car. Is it practical to say leave Hebbal area at 0400 & be in CMB by 1100?
Old 7th May 2019, 11:58   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any update on north BLR to Coimbatore?

Have a couple of business meetings at 1100 in Coimbatore city. Can take a flight but was exploring combining a pleasure trip too by car. Is it practical to say leave Hebbal area at 0400 & be in CMB by 1100?
Easily doable. Early morning departure will allow you to cross BLR city quickly. 5 to 5 1/2 hrs road time is good enough for BLR to CBE. Roads are excellent. Crossing Salem too is fast now since flyover bridge construction is over.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 07:30   #1019
BHPian

Hey Folks, I am currently in Coonoor. Plan to drive back tomorrow to Bangalore. There are two options.

The regular one through Ooty, Gudalur, Bandipur, Mysore which is a traffic nightmare as always.

The other option is through Tirupur, Erode, Dharmapuri, Salem, Krishnagiri. Though almost 60 kms more, it shows a few minutes less.

Need guidance from fellow TBhpians on this route. Travelling with two 6 year olds and wife. All advice deeply appreciated.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:51   #1020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Hey Folks, I am currently in Coonoor. Plan to drive back tomorrow to Bangalore. There are two options.

The regular one through Ooty, Gudalur, Bandipur, Mysore which is a traffic nightmare as always.

The other option is through Tirupur, Erode, Dharmapuri, Salem, Krishnagiri. Though almost 60 kms more, it shows a few minutes less.

Need guidance from fellow TBhpians on this route. Travelling with two 6 year olds and wife. All advice deeply appreciated.
In general from Coonoor would recommend the Salem route. Will definitely be faster. Being a week day, the tolls also will not be crowded. Definitely a much more fuss free drive once you hit the main NH.

Note: Not sure why you would need to touch either Tiruppur or Erode.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks