Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 07:27   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I believe Jet and Kingfisher are looking to replace Emirates role in Sri Lankan.
That was an old khabar circa January. Since then denials to the same have also been issued.

Plus, Emirates runs a very tight ship. Jet/KF managing the same is highly unlikely for a couple of years. Plus our airports don't have thelevel of integration with airlines as Emirates/SL achieved.
Old 4th April 2008, 01:21   #347
Senior - BHPian

oops!! Read about it on the newspaper - T5 must have been one big mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
All have is a spare pair of undies and socks
oops again..Didnt you carry cabin baggage?
Old 4th April 2008, 01:53   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

At one point the BBC had the baggage backlog at 28,000 pieces!

The last I read, BA was shipping them out to Milan to be sorted by couriers for delivery on mainland Europe.

Mess? Yes indeed: absolute failure. But all you get out of corporates is excuses and marketing bull.
Old 4th April 2008, 02:40   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
oops!! Read about it on the newspaper - T5 must have been one big mess.

oops again..Didnt you carry cabin baggage?
Had my laptop and some other stuff. I assumed that being a low season, nothing much would happen. How I was wrong. I leave to London tomorrow. The suitcase is in San Franscisco but no one knows where!
Old 4th April 2008, 03:56   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had my laptop and some other stuff. I assumed that being a low season, nothing much would happen. How I was wrong. I leave to London tomorrow. The suitcase is in San Franscisco but no one knows where!
Sorry to hear about the whole mess. I travelled from Bangalore to US via Heathrow on March 31st. Fortunately, we landed and left from terminal 4 and I hope the same on the way back.

These are the situations where Singapore Airlines just rocks! I must have had at least 15 round trip flights from India to US on Singapore Airlines in last decade but never once lost my bags.
Old 5th April 2008, 21:08   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My luggage still has not been traced. Wonder whether I will get it in time!
I'm so sorry to read about your situation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, BA stands for Baggage Afterwards.
Old 9th April 2008, 08:43   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm so sorry to read about your situation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, BA stands for Baggage Afterwards.
True, I had personal reasons for stopping in the UK hence this option.

Landed in Heathrow T5 along with another colleague, As stated, bags came on line in 15 min of arrival, except that half were on one carousel and another lot were on another carousel on the other side.

Had to fly from Manchester to London, back to T5. It was a tense couple of dayss not knowing whether the flight would actually happen, and if it did happen, would the bags arrive. Due to "a little" snow, flights were cancelled. Minimised potential losses by checking one bag in and hand carrying the other. Flight sat at gate for 10 min since no supervisor to sign aircraft in

Chatted with the airport staff who agreed that I did the right thing by pulling the bags from T5 to T4 myself. The staff on the ground are laughing at the BA management, even the flight steward was critical.

Transferred to T4 involved, hauling baggage to basesmen. Haul onto one train, haul off and haul onto another train. T4 is a dump . duty free costs that same as normal high street retail shops

It is a shame as the flight experience was good. On the ground, things spoil the fun.

BTW, I believe my bags landed in San Francsico yesterday, two days after I left. I really don't know whether to laugh
Old 9th April 2008, 10:18   #353
Senior - BHPian

I had a horrible experience on my way back from US. The flight reached London airspace at correct time. We were made to circle Heathrow for some time and landed 30 minutes late. So far so good. Just after we landed we stayed at runway for almost an hour because there were no parking spots available. Finally a parking spot was allocated to us however there were no coaches available to take us to the terminal. Another hour later, coaches came and we reached our terminal. By that time, the flight to Bangalore had left.

All the passengers were irritated. However we understood that sometimes this happens so we went to transfer desk of BA so that we can find alternative arrangements to reach India. As an aside there were tons of folks who missed their connections to US, India and elsewhere. It was one of those bad days at Heathrow and no, terminal 5 had nothing to do with it.

Now comes the worst part. There were 50 people in line and only 3 agents to help and things were really slow. A lot of passengers requested BA to find more customer service folks and speed things up but all we got was "This is best we can do sir". Their attitude about customer service, or lack thereof, infuriated a lot of folks. I was in queue for four and a half hours before I could get an alternative flight to Bangalore. A lot of people had to stay overnight in London and I heard BA agents tell them, please find a hotel for yourself and reimburse tomorrow.

Coming to bags, I got one bag a day after I came back and another one is missing. Nobody knows where it is but I guess they will find out some day.

Pretty bad experience. I will think ten times before flying BA again. When everything is going good, they are a good airline to fly. However when things get screwed up (and there is an opportunity to make a great impression on customer about their service), they aren't equipped to deal with it.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:21   #354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We were made to circle Heathrow for some time and landed 30 minutes late. So far so good. Just after we landed we stayed at runway for almost an hour because there were no parking spots available.
We do not have to be apologetic about indian airports, service in our airports is infinitely better. One may wait for a parking slot but at least the steps, supervisor, utilities come on time

Quote:
However we understood that sometimes this happens so we went to transfer desk of BA so that we can find alternative arrangements to reach India. As an aside there were tons of folks who missed their connections to US, India and elsewhere. It was one of those bad days at Heathrow .
This has happened to me on Emirates but when you land, they are waiting for you with an alternative plan. Never plan for a transfer less that 5 hours in Heathrow

Quote:
Now comes the worst part. There were 50 people in line and only 3 agents to help and things were really slow. A lot of passengers requested BA to find more customer service folks and speed things up but all we got was "This is best we can do sir". Their attitude about customer service, or lack thereof, infuriated a lot of folks.
They are so short staffed- I got pics of a service desk open and no person. On the first day of T5, they should keep more people around but they had less. The attendants and ground staff are really cheesed off - believe me!
Quote:
Pretty bad experience. I will think ten times before flying BA again. When everything is going good, they are a good airline to fly.
Agreed, will consider BA if I have a long stopover only
Old 9th April 2008, 14:32   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never plan for a transfer less that 5 hours in Heathrow
Even 5 hours may not be enough. Standing in line with us were people from Chicago-London flight as well (which reaches approximates 5 hours before London-Bangalore flight). Their plane was diverted to Manchester for a couple of hours and brought back.

Quote:
They are so short staffed- I got pics of a service desk open and no person. On the first day of T5, they should keep more people around but they had less. The attendants and ground staff are really cheesed off - believe me!
They definitely are short staffed. Interestingly, just before the line (in which we were waiting) started, there was a board that said something like "We will take strong action against verbal and physical abuse of our employees etc. etc". The fact that this board was so prominently displayed probably indicates that such situations do actually occur frequently enough for them to put up signs like that. One would think that they would focus their energies on preventing such situations.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:54   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Please let some other airline compete on the chennai/Heathrow-direct route before my next trip (2009. perhaps).

Doesn't look likely, though :(
Old 10th April 2008, 10:44   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please let some other airline compete on the chennai/Heathrow-direct route before my next trip (2009. perhaps).

If you don't mind a 2.5 hrs domestic flight to Delhi, a good option is Virgin Atlantic!
Old 10th April 2008, 12:38   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

It is surely worth thinking about.

I do find the ten-plus hour journey long enough already, though, and more than one take-off/landing on the trip is very hard on my ears
Old 10th April 2008, 21:56   #359
BHPian

Quote:

Again if you don't mind breaking your journey, Lufthansa is good with a transit in Frankfurt or Srilankan Airways with a transit in Colombo
Old 10th April 2008, 22:23   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is surely worth thinking about.

I do find the ten-plus hour journey long enough already, though, and more than one take-off/landing on the trip is very hard on my ears
Come to Delhi Thad. We will organize a t-Bhp meet with you as the chief guest. cheers:

Stay overnight at my place, most welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks