Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:01   #691
BANNED

What is the current scene with taking liquids in airlines? i.e. if I have a small perfume bottle, sunscreen etc, does it have to be checked in or can it be carried in cabin baggage?

Few years back, I had to throw out stuff because it was too late for checking in & wasn't allowed in cabin baggage.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:18   #692
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

Planning for a trip to Hongkong from Chennai. Any one has some idea about Cathay Pacific. Seems that is the only direct flight. When can we get the cheapest tickets.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:36   #693
Senior - BHPian

@carboy:100ml is the way to go. read the LAG restrictions - it specifies stuff which can fit in a clear plastic bag - i had to throw my eye lens solution at the suvarnabhumi airport in 07!
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:12   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the current scene with taking liquids in airlines? i.e. if I have a small perfume bottle, sunscreen etc, does it have to be checked in or can it be carried in cabin baggage?

Few years back, I had to throw out stuff because it was too late for checking in & wasn't allowed in cabin baggage.
Is it domestic or international travel? Since you have asked in the domestic travel thread, i'll assume that this is a domestic travel.
I have had no problems carrying liquids like sunscreen (regular bottles and not 100ml). But I was warned by the security that I should not carry deo (read pressurized container) and made to throw away a pet pepsi bottle.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:03   #695
BANNED

I will be using Thai airways on thursday to bankok. Can i take along handy cam, digital cam, laptop in cabin baggage.?

i think i also need to declare them while leaving india so that custom can make entry of same in my passport.

I am afraid about OS of my ASUS netbook as it has XP (no original). Do i need to be bothered on this?
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:23   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
I will be using Thai airways on thursday to bankok. Can i take along handy cam, digital cam, laptop in cabin baggage.?

i think i also need to declare them while leaving india so that custom can make entry of same in my passport.

Yes you can take them in cabin baggage.

Quote:
I am afraid about OS of my ASUS netbook as it has XP (no original). Do i need to be bothered on this?
I think you are worrying too much. Do not worry about such petty things. Have a pleasant journey and a wonderful trip.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:52   #697
Senior - BHPian

@idea,
have nice trip and do post your experience.

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd December 2009 at 09:08. Reason: Post edited. Will PM you on this.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:35   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I recently had a trip from UK to Bangalore through Emirates Airlines. Was surprised to find that they are offering mobile connectivity on their flight between Dubai and Bangalore. I was able to make and receive calls and SMS while flying. They seem to enable it only after about half hour after take off and turns it off about half hour before landing. My Airtel phone was showing "NOR 14" as the service provider on the screen and got an SMS from Airtel welcoming me to Norway . This facility was not available for the leg between Dubai and UK.
well actually the system turns on when aircraft reaches a cruising altitude and the crew decides that they can turn on the system. It is provided by Aeromobile whose major shareholder is Telenor - Hqed at Norway and hence NOR14.
GPRS/3G services are supported.

The system works by providing a picocell (wikepedia it to know more). Depending on which aviation authoriy has approved and which one not - and whether the crew remembers to turn services on/off, it may work and may not work.

BTW, it started on Ryan air as well early this year.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:09   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi friends,

Planning for a trip to Hongkong from Chennai. Any one has some idea about Cathay Pacific. Seems that is the only direct flight. When can we get the cheapest tickets.
Cathay is fine to H.K. from Chennai. I got a deal direct from the Cathay Pacific website itself.

Prefered to book through Cathay directly with my credit card, rather than use my travel agent who was about Rs. 250/- cheaper. ( Since, I get the points and 45 days credit on my card. )
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:26   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, you need not declare your laptop, but it is safe to declare your handy cam and digitial cam, so that you are not asked to pay tax on those items when you return.

Generally they will try to misguide you by saying it is not necessary, but please insist. The law in India imposes taxes on all electronic goods brought into the country if their combined value exceeds Rs 25000/- (laptops are not included, thankfully for computing this amount).
Old 29th December 2009, 16:48   #701
BHPian

My two cents: booked a couple of tickets on makemytrip.com for paramount chennai>cochin. always found a diffrence of +200 rs on the make my trip.com versus tickets booked directly on the paramount website
Old 8th January 2010, 15:05   #702
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is the Delhi Airport (Indian Airlines terminal) easily the best in India? I think so. I've flown in and out of Delhi several times, but all of them have been in the larger Jet / Kingfisher terminal. I wasn't particularly looking forward to the quaint li'l "other" terminal, but man.....how wrong could my expectations have been?!

Check-in process - Simple. No line.
Security check - Simple. Minimal line.

But what really impressed me about the airport was:

- Free to all wifi internet connectivity
- Super-clean restrooms. With paper towels (no silly hot air hand dryers here)
- Ample seating space
- Laptop stations with power sockets
- Osim foot massage machines. And several of them
- Smoking room. With clean ashtrays and a working lighter

A job well done is to be appreciated. Pat on the back to the guys in charge!
Old 14th January 2010, 16:23   #703
BANNED

My 2 Cents:

There clipper lounge on most of domestic and international terminals across major metros. Access is free for mastercard - platinum + holder. You need to check if your credit card provides this facility. My hdfc platinum + and standard chartard titanium works well.

They offer food,cold drinks including drinks free of cost in business class environment.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:28   #704
BANNED

How is Air Emirates other than being expensive i guess?
Old 14th January 2010, 17:46   #705
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
suppose I am taking my Nikon camera out and bringing it back, it saves a whole load of explanation / misunderstanding with customs
what exactly is process?

i tried to get one for my handy cam and digital camera @ mumbai airport customs while flying to BKK.

But customs officer said , not required, now a days no body bothers about handy cams and digital camera's !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks