Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 21:45   #5281
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I did Kodungallur (Thrissur) - Bangalore last weekend. IMO, except the stretch from Walayar to Madukkarai, there are no problems elsewhere. Neelambur to Avinashi Bypass - there aren't any diversions - one side of the 4-lane alignment is opened for traffic all the way - all the ROBs are open as well. The only headache is Perumanallur - that IMHO is better than driving from Perundurai to Alathur in a 2-lane road.
Thanks for the update.
By taking Thrissur-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad route, you avoided the Kuthiran-Alathur-Palakkad stretch which is not very good overall and is 2 lane as well.

Also, Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi has extremely good 2 lane roads, so I would prefer to take this route and then Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur route (if starting early morning from Bangalore).

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2013 at 21:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 08:14   #5282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Did you do this trip ? What was the condition of the stretch that you were worried about ?
Aren't you a bit late to the party? :-) I posted this after I reached Calicut:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3172026

The return journey was yesterday. Started at 4AM and the Churam climb at around 5AM. Was quite scary, with rain, fog and the black exhaust smoke causing thick smog everytime I crossed a downhill truck. Several times I had to stop on the road with my hazards on waiting for this smog to clear, since visibility was zero. This 12-km nightmare lasted for about 30 minutes. I do wish they put up decent reflectors on the churam (there is one small stretch with bright red ones) and perhaps street lighting at least at the hairpin bends.

Reached my regular tea-stop at Chamarajanagar at 8 AM and the NICE Road toll booth at 11 AM. Home took a further hour, and office, another 2.

It did not rain at all while I was in KA, but it was incessant all the time I was in KL.
Old 10th July 2013, 09:24   #5283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Aren't you a bit late to the party? :-) I posted this after I reached Calicut:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3172026
Oops, sorry about that. Missed that one - may be because that was the last post on that page and I might have checked only the next (new) page.
Old 10th July 2013, 19:16   #5284
Senior - BHPian

AC Road (Alappuzha-Changanacherry) is flooded again as per somebody who stays in the region.Its been raining continuously over the past two days there.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:53   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Looks like heavy rainfall for the next couple of days.Kerala has apparently declared holidays for all schools for the next couple of days

All Roads to Kerala-image1133074872.jpg
Old 12th July 2013, 08:28   #5286
Senior - BHPian

I'll be doing a round trip to Kerala in the first week of August. Hopefully the rains reduce by then although I am sure the road conditions will worsen if not remain the same as it is now.
I already banged up the under carriage of my car on recent trip to Hampi due to a wrong turn adviced to me by brilliant Googlemaps.

The route is Blore-Calicut-Kottayam-Blore.
The last I did Blore- Calicut was Dec last and the roads were amazing except for a small patch in Waynad. And thinking of rest of the trip in Kerala, I wish I had a SUV.
Regards
Old 12th July 2013, 15:23   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Palakkad-CBE status today around Walayar(courtesy a friend who travelled the route today morning).Photo credit to the original owner.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-n.jpg  

ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:35   #5288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Well I was fined by "the interceptor" just after Walayar a few months back (KA registered). I was doing 79 and the traffic inspector regretingly informing that speed limit is 70, and he has strict instruction to fine all vehicles doing above 75. The best part , he indicated locations where interceptors could be expected till Trichur.
I'm surprised if you can do above 45kph on those roads, owing to their pathetic conditions. You can speed on the Palghat-Shornur-Trichur road but again, it has so many bends.
Old 12th July 2013, 15:42   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Re: All routes into Kerala

planning a road trip to Kerala (Trivandrum and back) via Madurai. anybody know the route and the current condition? Google gives three routes and the the shortest is 731kms.

any alternates?
Old 12th July 2013, 15:59   #5290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
planning a road trip to Kerala (Trivandrum and back) via Madurai. anybody know the route and the current condition? Google gives three routes and the the shortest is 731kms.
any alternates?
IronH4WK, you can check in the more active thread for a updated information : Current road condition to Kerala
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 15:07   #5291
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

any alternates?
Krishnagiri-Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari on NH7 is excellent all the way There is road widening work on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch so time your drive on this stretch.
Expect narrow roads, slow moving traffic on the Nagercoil-Trivandrum route (NH47). If you intend visiting Kanyakumari, then better to take Nagercoil route, possibly a late night drive may not have that bad traffic, but I'm not sure.
Also, I'd suggest visits to the Suchindram Temple and/or Padmanabhapuram Palace at Thuckalay which is on the way to Trivandrum from Nagercoil.
From Trivandrum if you're going towards Trichur, then you can also plan for Valparai and then take Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai (NH47)-Salem-Bangalore for your return journey.

Last edited by NPV : 13th July 2013 at 15:08.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 16:01   #5292
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot! That is really helpful
Old 15th July 2013, 14:29   #5293
BHPian

I am doing Bangalore-Pondicherry next week and would be proceeding to Palakkad from Pondy. Any suggestions on good routes without touching NH47?
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...t=m&z=10&via=1
From google maps figured out this route Pondy-Karur-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad. I have done the Kangayam-Palakkad in the past coming from Bangalore. Can some one comment on the conditions between Pondy-karur?

Last edited by sansvk : 15th July 2013 at 14:35. Reason: added link from google
Old 15th July 2013, 14:40   #5294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I am doing Bangalore-Pondicherry next week and would be proceeding to Palakkad from Pondy. Any suggestions on good routes without touching NH47?
My recco would be:

Pondy-Ulundurpet-Attur-Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad
http://goo.gl/maps/yOQtZ
Old 15th July 2013, 18:41   #5295
Senior - BHPian

Kanyakumari to Trivandrum, the road is downright pathetic! Potholes so deep, if you're not careful, you could lose a tyre! It gives a good workout for the suspension I drove from Kanyakumari to Trivandrum this afternoon and I would say 75% of the distance covered is pathetic roads; the rest 25% is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks