Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 08:40   #5956
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Thanks lloydofcochin. plan to start by 8am tomorrow.

Hi meisnutz, Is there an alternate route somewhere to avoid getting stuck?
Sorry for the late reply. Bad time to start considering you will be heading to banglore in the evining traffic.I did a night drive from 6PM from alpy to 5AM in Banglore through this route.Another route will be through sathyamangalam. But iam not sure you can avoid banglore traffic by this route.

Please drive attentively in banglore and also keep eyes for speed'walls' and cows on the road.
Old 10th November 2013, 11:34   #5957
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning a Kerala trip towards the end of this week. What's the current status of the stretch from Avinashi to Palghat? There were many places where flyovers had steel reinforcements which brings real rough ride! The road between Coimbatore till Palghat was also very horrible.

What is the current condition from Palghat to trichur via NH47?

How about an alternative route such as via Nilambur?
Old 10th November 2013, 12:49   #5958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Depends on where exactly you are heading out in Kerala. Based on that we can suggest.
Old 10th November 2013, 13:33   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning a Kerala trip towards the end of this week. What's the current status of the stretch from Avinashi to Palghat? There were many places where flyovers had steel reinforcements which brings real rough ride! The road between Coimbatore till Palghat was also very horrible.

couple of tips:

By talking about flyovers I think you are referring to the expansion gaps that have been left as such right?And on this stretch you cannot figure out which way the on coming traffic is coming. Time it so that you can avoid it at night.As for 'fly overs' look for a increase in height in the divider and you will know the bump coming though most of it has been done away with now.

Also the palghat area is getting better and most of the road has been paved leaving about a 6 km stretch of bad roads but much better than earlier times.
Old 10th November 2013, 15:43   #5960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz View Post

And on this stretch you cannot figure out which way the on coming traffic is coming. Time it so that you can avoid it at night.As for 'fly overs' look for a increase in height in the divider and you will know the bump coming though most of it has been done away with now.
Been to coimbatore during diwali weekend taking this avinashi-coimbarore city stretch. Now both sides of the road are operational with divider in between. They have put up bump warnings just before these bumps and there are around 7-8 of these speed breakers now on the stretch. Difficult to miss these warnings even during night too!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 22:24   #5961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

Nilambur: Would take more time and ghat surface is bad. Short distance, more time, no tolls. High chances of spotting wild life.

Satyamangalam: Two lane, small towns, relatively higher traffic between Kanakpura and Bangalore. No tolls.

Avinashi: Fastest route. Flyover joints are well marked. Nothing to worry till L&T exit. Bumpy ride post L&T till Vadakkancherry. Will not harm vehicle.
Should spend Rs. 400+ toll.

Pollachi: Good surface. Since Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy is relaid, smooth surface almost throughout. Few towns.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 08:42   #5962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Depends on where exactly you are heading out in Kerala. Based on that we can suggest.
My destination is Ernakulam.

@meisnutz: You're right, that's exactly what am referring to. I had simply run over these the last couple of times.

@coolclouds: Thanks for the various route into. I may take the ottapalam route as well, hope this is still in good condition.

Last edited by nitinbose : 11th November 2013 at 08:45.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:07   #5963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My destination is Ernakulam.
If Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy is relaid, I would say take the Avinashi-Palladam--Pollachi-Vadakkancherry option. Would be fastest.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:36   #5964
Senior - BHPian

What time do the KA/TN and KA/KL borders open/close? This would help me plan should I be using the non-AH47 routes.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:38   #5965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What time do the KA/TN and KA/KL borders open/close? This would help me plan should I be using the non-AH47 routes.

Am not aware of any border timings. I thought they are always open. Unless you take a roads via the wild life sanctuaries. Then its a different aspect.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 09:53   #5966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Am not aware of any border timings. I thought they are always open. Unless you take a roads via the wild life sanctuaries. Then its a different aspect.
Well, that's exactly what I'm referring to: The KA/TN border at Theppakadu and the TN/KL border after Gudalur (if this closes).

I'm of course aware the other route (AH47) is always open.

Just trying to optimize a good route so as to save the vehicle!
Old 11th November 2013, 10:07   #5967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's exactly what I'm referring to: The KA/TN border at Theppakadu and the TN/KL border after Gudalur (if this closes).

Bandipur sanctuary gate while going towards Theppekadu closes at 9 PM and reopens at 6 AM. Similarly, the forest gates before/after KA-KL border at Moolaholle/Maddur checkposts close at 9 PM and reopens at 6 AM.
The Nagarhole sanctuary gates (going from/towards Kutta/Tholpetty from/towards Hunsur) closes at 6 PM and reopens at 6 AM.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:45   #5968
BHPian

Planning a Bangalore - Varkala - Bangalore trip. Route Options:

1. Bangalore - Madurai - Tenkasi - Punalur - Varkala
2. Bangalore - Nagercoil - Thirvananthapuram - varkala

Please recommend which route is better/ faster.

Plan to leave at about 5 AM in the morning, do suggest breakfast and lunch points.
Old 12th November 2013, 12:19   #5969
BHPian

MC Road widening to be delayed further

Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Widening of Chengannur-Ettumanoor-Muvattupuzha stretch of Main Central Road under the second phase of the Kerala State Transport Project (KSTP) is likely to get delayed as the state government is still pressing World Bank to accept the lowest bidder, which is falling short in meeting the qualifying criteria.
Old 12th November 2013, 13:02   #5970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just trying to optimize a good route so as to save the vehicle!
If you're one who's very concerned about your vehicle, don't even think about the Gudalur-Nilambur route. The ghat section is not in the best of condition right now, and the forest section in TN also is supposed to be on the rougher side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks