Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 13:26   #7216
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
How is the route via Theni-Kumily to Pathanamthitta? I am hearing news about Kumily route shut down due to heavy rain and landslides around Kumily. Please let me know guys!
Fine road. You can turn off at Kanjirapalli and go to Pathanamthitta.
AFAIK, no landslides or road closures.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 13:41   #7217
Senior - BHPian

Great, thanks HVK sir!

How is the route to Munnar via Bodimettu? We were planning a drive, but again too many warnings about this route and we changed plans to Kodaikanal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Fine road. You can turn off at Kanjirapalli and go to Pathanamthitta.
AFAIK, no landslides or road closures.
Old 12th August 2014, 14:09   #7218
Senior - BHPian

Apleppy - Changanassery road condition yesterday !
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-acroad.jpg  

Old 12th August 2014, 15:01   #7219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If the purpose is to just explore a new route, why don't you try the one through Silent Valley ? (Mannrkad-Agali-Anaikatti-Karamadai-Bhavanisagar-Bannari-Dimbam-Chamarajnagar) . That's one route I'd like to try out when I have time.
This looks like a good option to explore, had any of your friends ever tried this (especially between Mannarkad and Bannari) and if yes how is the road condition? I have been through rest of the section on many occasions.
I will consider this for my next trip which I may do during Onam week.

Cheers!
Old 12th August 2014, 15:16   #7220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
This looks like a good option to explore, had any of your friends ever tried this (especially between Mannarkad and Bannari) and if yes how is the road condition? I have been through rest of the section on many occasions.
I will consider this for my next trip which I may do during Onam week.

Cheers!
Please note the road via Anaikatti is very high on wild life. Hence you need to be careful.
Old 12th August 2014, 15:42   #7221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note the road via Anaikatti is very high on wild life. Hence you need to be careful.
Thank you Ampere.
I've heard many adventurous incidents involving wild animals at Sholayur from my cousin who was with Reserve Police. Sholayur is very close to Anaikatti but then it was 4 ~ 5 years back.
So its safe to assume these situations can happen even now isn't it? Anyway we'll wait to hear from any other Bhpians who had used this route recently on road conditions as well.

Cheers!
Old 12th August 2014, 17:19   #7222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I have a Mahindra Quanto so ground clearance is not a problem. But I wanted to experiment a different route (as a backup). This time I am driving alone, would have a couple of extra hours to spare - so this may be the right time to try an alternate route (and even lose the way). And I also wanted to skip that irritating L&T bye pass where we have to stop and show the toll receipt in multiple places. The sign-board less NH stretch between Walayar and Palakkad is another one which I wanted to skip.

There was another route suggested - but here we take a deviation at Perundurai. Would that be a better approach? I understand that if I go through Perundurai, then I need to pass Kangeyam as well. My idea was to skip the entire stretch of highway where construction is going on. So if I have to take a detour at Avanashi, I would have to go through a stretch of "being built" highway, right?

Will wait for your feedback as well. I may be going this week end. And I need to pass through Palakkad town, so would not take the Vadakkanchery route. From Palakkad I would take the Ottapalam, Shornur route to Thrissur.
If time is not a constraint for you, then try this route

Via Attibele, Hosur by pass road via Rly station, Rayakottai, Palacode Town, Pennagaram, Mecheri, Omalur town, Tharamangalam, Sankagairi, Erode, Kangeyam,Palladam,Pollachi to palakkad.

You will pay ZERO TOLL in this route. I have done the above route from Pollachi to Bangalore once before.

You will enjoy this route
Old 12th August 2014, 22:15   #7223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark
This looks like a good option to explore, had any of your friends ever tried this (especially between Mannarkad and Bannari) and if yes how is the road condition?
What are the main places in this route? If any expert can plot them on Google Maps it would be highly beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Via Attibele, Hosur by pass road via Rly station, Rayakottai, Palacode Town, Pennagaram, Mecheri, Omalur town, Tharamangalam, Sankagairi, Erode, Kangeyam,Palladam,Pollachi to palakkad.
Would try this some time. At present chances of me taking this route is bleak. Generally the family would be there (including our baby), so wife and in-laws generally may prefer a route which is well known. The adventure spirit of the whole gang in the car comes down naturally . Perhaps have to suggest this route to my cousins and plan for it.
Old 13th August 2014, 01:07   #7224
BHPian

Just an update for general info. I did Blore Intl Airport to Kochi yesterday. The road is good from Blore till Chavady near Valayar. After that, the road condition is pathetic till Mannuthy (near Trissur). The only place decent is the Kuthiran stretch (for a change). Expect to cover the entire route in about 9.5hrs if you are keeping your top speed at about 110kmph.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 06:42   #7225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Thank you Ampere.
I've heard many adventurous incidents involving wild animals at Sholayur from my cousin who was with Reserve Police. Sholayur is very close to Anaikatti but then it was 4 ~ 5 years back.
So its safe to assume these situations can happen even now isn't it? Anyway we'll wait to hear from any other Bhpians who had used this route recently on road conditions as well.

Cheers!
Even now there have been instances of elephants straying into villages like Thudiyalur, Periyanaicken Palayam, Anaikatti, etc in Coimbatore. And it would be a good idea to avoid going to these places during Migration period when they migrate from silent valley to Satyamangalam area.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 10:31   #7226

Guys, I am planning to go to Kochi from Bangalore this weekend. Now a lot of people are suggesting that the roads are really bad, infact pathetic. I will be driving a Honda Amaze. Should I be wary of travelling at this time at all?

Also if someone can suggest a good route for this time of the year, that will be very good.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:57   #7227
Senior - BHPian

I did Bangalore-Kochi day on Monday night.

Hosur-Rayakottai-Thoppur-Salem-Coimbatore-Trichur-Kochi.

I will not take Walayar route for next few trips, if possible. Its bad, bumpy and traffic at 2-3 am was bad. Pollachi route is far better IMO.

Also the road between Alwaye to Kochi is terrible. Anybody traveling beyond Kochi may take alternative roads.
coolclouds is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 11:08   #7228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I will not take Walayar route for next few trips, if possible. Its bad, bumpy and traffic at 2-3 am was bad. Pollachi route is far better IMO.
What gets my goose is the absolute lack of signage on this stretch. I have seen NH four laning happening else where, where they clearly put sign boards and deviation signs. But once you cross Walayar all that is history. The worst is that part of the road which leads to the Sales Tax and RTO check posts. There is no clue indicating that those tracks are meant for trucks. So if a car goes on that track, it would land up behind the trucks and then there is no way to get out easily. A board put up right in front of that track asking vehicles other than trucks to keep right, would be useful. But no, the 100% literate state expects drivers to be astrologers who can forecast what lies ahead and make corrections .
Old 13th August 2014, 11:29   #7229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I did Bangalore-Kochi day on Monday night.

Hosur-Rayakottai-Thoppur-Salem-Coimbatore-Trichur-Kochi.

Also the road between Alwaye to Kochi is terrible. Anybody traveling beyond Kochi may take alternative roads.
Exactly. Edapally - Alwaye and Thrissur - Palghat is horrible. Watch out for really huge potholes in Edapally-Alwaye stretch.

Jain - I am driving to Chennai next week. Although I prefer the usual route, I would like to avoid it this time. Am planning to leave at 3am and definitely want to avoid Edapally - Alwaye and Thrissur - Palghat stretch. Can you let me know the best alternate route? Couple of others have suggested alternate route, but would like to avoid the metro stretch too.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:35   #7230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Am planning to leave at 3am and definitely want to avoid Edapally - Alwaye and Thrissur - Palghat stretch. Can you let me know the best alternate route? Couple of others have suggested alternate route, but would like to avoid the metro stretch too.
Why not the Theni/Dindigul/Trichy option? Should work out much much better in my opinion. The only hitch is the best option to reach Theni.

Either : Ernakulam-MVPA-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Bodi-Theni (ghats)

or Ernakulam-MVPA-Thodupuzha-Iddukki-Kattapana-Cumbum-Theni. Once past Theni you are on the fast track.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed