Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2015, 10:49   #9046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Thanks Rajeev & Sans, I would be starting before noon and hope to cover this stretch before evening hopefully to avoid the evening rush to BLR after Diwali.
I heard the Coorg issue has created an impact across Mysore and there would be blockages at all borders, hence the concern. And why would police close the routes in Kollegal? Is it due to the same issue?
Yes there were blockages in the Bangalore Mysore stretch yesterday. The point sansvk mentioned is not related to this agitation. Due to the higher traffic on the kollegala route, police diverted traffic to avoid jams in those narrow stretches( I think it was at the end of the dusserha weekend). Since it is the end of Diwali weekend and the agitations many folks may take the kanakpura route tomorrow. So expect good traffic on this route also ( will be better than Mysore Bangalore).

Are you starting from Calicut? If it is from any where down south from calicut, may make sense to take Coimbatore Salem. ( toll crowds could be an issue though).
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 12:36   #9047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Are you starting from Calicut? If it is from any where down south from calicut, may make sense to take Coimbatore Salem. ( toll crowds could be an issue though).
Yes Rajeev, would be starting from Malappuram District. I do expect longer queues at the tolls enroute Salem, specially afternoon. Hence wanted to try the Chamaraj nagar route.
Old 14th November 2015, 13:43   #9048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Rajeev, would be starting from Malappuram District. I do expect longer queues at the tolls enroute Salem, specially afternoon. Hence wanted to try the Chamaraj nagar route.
I frequently start/go to Tirur and I by default take the Salem-Cbe route from now a days. It is definitely faster than the Gundlepet route. My route is:

Tirur-Kuttipuram-Kumbidy-Trithala-Pattambi (or Valanchery-Koppam-Pattambi)-Ottaplam-Mankara-deviate from Mankara via Kottayi-Kuzhalmannam and join NH 47 at Kuzhalmannam-CBE-Salem-Bangalore.

During the May 1st long weekend this year, I happened to drive Tirur-Bangalore via Gudalur-Gundlepet (12PM start), there were mini jams inside the Mudumalai forest itself (Crowd returning from Ooty). In addition the Forest Entry-Theppakadu stretch was in shambles (and still is).

Not trying to discourage from the ch.nagar route. Just stating some experiences.
Old 14th November 2015, 14:32   #9049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tirur-Kuttipuram-Kumbidy-Trithala-Pattambi-Ottaplam-Mankara-deviate from Mankara via Kottayi-Kuzhalmannam and join NH 47 at Kuzhalmannam-CBE-Salem-Bangalore.
Wow - how many times do you cross the Nila? :-) All the bridges are in good shape in this route?
Old 14th November 2015, 15:05   #9050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I frequently start/go to Tirur and I by default take the Salem-Cbe route from now a days. It is definitely faster than the Gundlepet route. My route is:
Is it really worth? extra 100kms, and almost 500 Rs in tolls? Does it give a significant advantage over the Gundlupet-Wayanad-Ramanattukara-Chelari route? Mudumalai-Gudalur stretch is in absolute shambles as per many reports. So nadugani route could be out of contention till it is repaired.
Old 14th November 2015, 15:22   #9051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tirur-Kuttipuram-Kumbidy-Trithala-Pattambi (or Valanchery-Koppam-Pattambi)
You can try the Tirur-BP Angadi-Chamravattom bridge-Edappal-Thrithala-Pattambi route as well. Found this less infested by mad private buses compared to the other two routes.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 15:52   #9052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Wow - how many times do you cross the Nila? :-) All the bridges are in good shape in this route?
Ha ha. Good point. Never thought of it that way. Lets see, I cross it at Kuttipuram, then cross back again at Pattambi, cross again at Mankara and then again a couple of times on NH47 (by which I think it has split into couple of tributaries). Bridges are all narrow but good. The Mankara one is relatively new (maybe 10-15 years? Did not exist in the 90's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Is it really worth? extra 100kms, and almost 500 Rs in tolls? Does it give a significant advantage over the Gundlupet-Wayanad-Ramanattukara-Chelari route? Mudumalai-Gudalur stretch is in absolute shambles as per many reports. So nadugani route could be out of contention till it is repaired.
Yup 520 km as opposed to 378 via Gudalur-Nadugani. But still time wise, Tirur via Salem-CBE has taken me 8.30-9 hrs of driving time (last 2-3 trips). The Gudalur route takes approx the same time give or take 15-30 min (mostly higher), but as you mentioned need to contend with the bad roads, forest humps and ghats. So since it takes the same time or even less time, may as well take the less stressful route. With the Madukkarai-Walayar Stretch getting complete, this will further reduce by 10-15 min. The other point is that since I start from Sarjapur Road side, I am quickly out of the City via Sarjapur-Attibelle or via Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur.

Going via Calicut to Tirur definitely takes longer. It is ~420km and now a days easily takes 9.5-10 hrs of driving time. Definite advantage in going via Salem as opposed to via Calicut.

On the cost, yes the toll is extra. But the mileage difference (I get 12-13kmpl in the gudlalur/Calicut route and ~16-17 kmpl in the Salem route) kind of offsets the extra distance.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 14th November 2015 at 15:55.
Old 14th November 2015, 20:04   #9053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
So sandsun, do you recommend NOT to take the Nadugani route? Last year the roads were great when I travelled this route, except within Bandipur

Quote:
there were mini jams inside the Mudumalai forest itself (Crowd returning from Ooty). In addition the Forest Entry-Theppakadu stretch was in shambles (and still is).

Not trying to discourage from the ch.nagar route. Just stating some experiences.
Thanks Rajeev. Will decide upon the time we finally make a move in the morning. Had some work at Malappuram, hence was planning to take the Nadugani route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You can try the Tirur-BP Angadi-Chamravattom bridge-Edappal-Thrithala-Pattambi route as well. Found this less infested by mad private buses compared to the other two routes.
The stretch between BP Angadi and Chamravattom bridge is now too bad with very deep potholes though a its just a few kms.
Also we have the new bypass from Kuttippuram Bridge to Ponnani (Chamravattom Jn) now open which should be easier for people travelling Kuttippuram - Gvr - Ekm and a bit stress free.

Note from Support: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi-quote/QUOTE+ to quote multiple posts and respond to them.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2015 at 10:15. Reason: Please read the note posted above.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 21:20   #9054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So sandsun, do you recommend NOT to take the Nadugani route? Last year the roads were great when I travelled this route, except within Bandipur
The stretch between Theppekadu and Gudalur is in absolute shambles is what I heard. I had done this stretch before monsoons and even then it was terrible. NO repair work has been carried out, and it is anybody's guess what would be the condition now. Also, saw a report in another forum that recent rains had broken up tarmac resulting in lot of potholes on the beginning of the ghat towards Nadugani side.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 00:33   #9055
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Kerala (Thrissur and Kochi), 2 families in an Accent and Honda City on 23rd December. Planning to stay for 2 days at Coco Lagoon Resort (Meenkarai Road, Vazhaikombu Nagoor Village, Pollachi, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 642103)
Planning to start early morning by 5 from Bellandur on 23rd.

Please can regulars / experts let me know the best route.

Was planning on Bangalore, Hosur, Krishnagiri, Perundurai, Kangeyam, Palladam, and Pollachi.

And while going further to Kerala from Pollachi, was planning on taking Pollachi, Meenkarai, Kollengode, Alathur and then joining NH47

Is this the best option?
One family has a small 1 year old baby, so we are not planning anything very adventurous this time
Old 19th November 2015, 07:34   #9056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Please can regulars / ----- let me know the best route.
Keep driving in the 4/6 lane till you reach L&T bypass and take the left at Karpagam College. The other options are not worth it. period.

The ROB at Pollachi is now complete, so use google maps to reach the resort. The left from the resort will take you to Vadakkenchery(good roads) at NH47.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 07:49   #9057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Keep driving in the 4/6 lane till you reach L&T bypass and take the left at Karpagam College. The other options are not worth it. period.
So no more Avinashi/Palladam/Pollachi? If the bypass 4-lane is done and dusted, then as you say it surely does not make sense to go via the 2-lane roads. Some how Google estimates similar times for both the routes. That does not make sense, as one should definitely gain time on the 4-lane.
Old 19th November 2015, 08:25   #9058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So no more Avinashi/Palladam/Pollachi?
Yes Amp. E-city to home now takes me just 5 hours with a sedate 100 kmph top speed. No point entering the 2 lanes, stopping for speed-breakers, towns and such.

And all good things comes with a price. Rs.80 one way at the end of the 6 lane before joining L&T.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:26   #9059
Senior - BHPian

Comrades, planning for a solo trip to KL this time. Was just wondering if the Bangalore->Chamrajnagar->Dimbam Ghat road is good. Being "solo", I don't have very strict time lines to keep. Can start early morning from Bangalore. Going on that road, which point would be ideal to join back NH 47? I am proceeding towards Kochi side.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:46   #9060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Comrades, planning for a solo trip to KL this time. Was just wondering if the Bangalore->Chamrajnagar->Dimbam Ghat road is good. Being "solo", I don't have very strict time lines to keep. Can start early morning from Bangalore. Going on that road, which point would be ideal to join back NH 47? I am proceeding towards Kochi side.
Not sure whether it is advisable to take Dhimbam route during heavy rains.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed