Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 07:45   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
How are the roads on the pazhayanur alathur route ...width, traffic, surface etc? According to Google it takes about 30 minutes more than the regular Palakkad - Shoranur - Trichur stretch - would that be accurate ?
The width is like regular Kerala minor road - just sufficient for two buses to pass each other (7.5m wide). The good thing is that unlike elsewhere, this road has sufficient soft shoulder. Its surface is fine - not NH47 quality but not bumpy either. I had taken it in the early hours so can't really assess the traffic, though can say that traffic till the Vazhacode junction from Thrissur is far higher than that from the junction till NH47 at Alathur.

The main plus of this road is that you avoid Kuthiran but re-join NH47 as early as possible. If that is not a concern then there is nothing that makes this route preferable over Thrissur-Shoranur-Palakkad.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 10:22   #9542
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
How are the roads on the pazhayanur alathur route ...width, traffic, surface etc? According to Google it takes about 30 minutes more than the regular Palakkad - Shoranur - Trichur stretch - would that be accurate ?
The road is wide enough (no median though) in some places but generally the route from NH47 Alathur turn off-Kavasseri-Pazhayanur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur was quite decent when I last traveled about a year ago.
*Compared to this, the road on other side of NH47 from Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur is much more narrower.

If you take this route from the Thrissur side, make a right turn about 2 Km after you pass the Kavasseri Parakkat Bhagawathy temple (on right side) and join the NH47 and turn left towards Palakkad direction. If you miss this right turn and go straight, you will pass through the narrow, heavy traffic parts of the Alathur town where SNR chips and several other shops are located, after which you get another turn off to join NH47.

Last edited by NPV : 31st May 2016 at 10:24.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 11:02   #9543
BHPian

Guys, is it possible to touch Guruvayur from Pune in a single day assuming I start really early? Also which is the best route to go with? Might go around July this year and would be having my family in tow. Will continue on to Trivandrum the next day and return back after a week.

Last month I had been to Kollur and Murudeshwar via Dharwad - Yellapur but after Kumta, lot of places there were diversions owing to road works being undertaken. Is it better to take this route and continue to Udipi-Mangalore-Kannur-Kozhikode or is it better to go till Sira and take the Mayasandra - Sira Rd?
Old 31st May 2016, 11:28   #9544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Guys, is it possible to touch Guruvayur from Pune in a single day assuming I start really early?
Man!! That really seems to be a "Bridge Too Far". The distance is 1250 odd kms, and Google Maps says it would take 20Hrs for you to cover the distance. And that seems to be a very optimistic time table. If you are coming via NH17, you would never be able to go at a steady speed. Plus you need to have your breaks etc. And also you have to prepare yourself to face the large crowd at Guruvayur.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:42   #9545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is it possible to touch Guruvayur from Pune in a single day assuming I start really early?
One driver - not recommended. Two drivers - you can try if family is comfortable sitting 24 hrs continuous.

Plan for 20-30 kmph avg speed during day time within Kerala ( and double that during night ).

Last edited by arjithin : 31st May 2016 at 11:46.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:45   #9546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Man!! That really seems to be a "Bridge Too Far". The distance is 1250 odd kms, and Google Maps says it would take 20Hrs for you to cover the distance.
Yes precisely why I wanted to know if leaving early like say 3-4 AM will slightly reduce the time period involved. Most likely I would be having another family member who can drive. So that shouldnt be a problem. I would taking a break at Guruvayur, halting for a full day and carrying on the next morning. Return leg will be Trivandrum-Pune with a halt at Bangalore maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
One driver - not recommended. Two drivers - you can try if family is comfortable sitting 24 hrs continuous.

Plan for 20-30 kmph avg speed during day time within Kerala ( and double that during night ).
Sure. We will be 2 drivers atleast as of now. If not a family members, will take along our driver.

Last edited by centaur : 31st May 2016 at 11:47.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:15   #9547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is it possible to touch Guruvayur from Pune in a single day assuming I start really early? Also which is the best route to go with?
I once did the 1400 km from Mumbai to Chennai in 20 hours - 5 AM start from Malad, 1 AM next day arrival at Thiruvanmiyur. But then I was alone, and it was an incredibly tiring journey. Looking at Google Maps, this is also a 20 hour drive but with family/kids etc., it will be much more difficult.

You can either do the full GQ/NS corridor - Pune-Bangalore-Salem-Palakkad and then Pattambi-Guruvayur. Or you could go via Pune-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Pattambi-Guruvayur. Though Google seems to think both as taking same amount of time, the former has the advantage of less time on non-GQ/NS roads. The trick I guess is to hit Kerala roads after the evening rush hour is over - that is, cross Palakkad at around say, 9 PM. Working backwards, that requires you to be out of Bangalore by 3 PM, or start from Pune latest by 4 AM. If you are good for that, you could arrive in Guruvayur by midnight (or 1 AM).

Needless to say, this requires stamina, concentration and passengers who are amenable to such a drive.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 12:29   #9548
BHPian

Thanks a lot Binad. Which of the routes has the roads in good condition and better traffic conditions?

Looks like I might have to take a break after 14 hours because that is the max we have driven so far at a stretch. Doubt if the family will be willing to sit it through till Guruvayur even if the man and the machine are willing to
Old 31st May 2016, 13:20   #9549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Binad. Which of the routes has the roads in good condition and better traffic conditions?

Looks like I might have to take a break after 14 hours because that is the max we have driven so far at a stretch. Doubt if the family will be willing to sit it through till Guruvayur even if the man and the machine are willing to
The Bangalore-Salem-Palakkad route means that you are on a 4 lane NH pretty much all the way through. Only the Palakkad-Pattambi-Guruvayoor stretch is a regular 2 lane highway (in addition to a small stretch around Coimbatore)-Probably 2-2.5 hours.

With the Mysore route, from the point you leave NH4, all the way to Guruvayoor via Mysore-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perithalmanna-Guruvayoor will be 2 lane roads with reasonably heavy traffic once you enter Kerala. So this means maybe 6-7 hours of 2 lane roads which includes the Bandipur/Mudumalai Forest and the Gudalur-Nilambur ghat section also.

With Route 1 you can break at Bangalore-or maybe push on till Salem. With route 2-you can break at Mysore.

Keeping the 4 lane/2 lane aside, road conditions should be excellent all through in both routes. Traffic and fatigue wise, route 1 would be better. Route 2 is better if you want to avoid Bangalore and like some Forest scenary

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st May 2016 at 13:23.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 13:24   #9550
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which of the routes has the roads in good condition and better traffic conditions?
If you're planning to take the Mysore route, you can try and reach Mysore for an overnight halt. So you can turn off from NH4 at Hiriyur and reach Mysore via Nagamangala and Srirangapatna. 4 lane road ends at Hiriyur in this case.
Next day, do Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Guruvayoor. Narrow roads from Gudalur.

Alternatively, stop over at Tumkur or Hosur (Take NICE Road from NH4 and then get off at Hosur Road exit and proceed towards Hosur). If you go up to Hosur, it will be good as you would have bypassed Bangalore and next day drive will be easier.
Next day, do Hosur-Salem-Palakkad-Guruvayoor. 4/6 lane roads almost upto Thrissur/Mannuthy if you're taking NH47.
You can even consider Palakkad-Shornur route or NH47 till Alathur-Pazhayanur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Guruvayoor.

Also, refer this thread for more information on Pune-Mysore route - here

Last edited by NPV : 31st May 2016 at 13:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 16:47   #9551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternatively, stop over at Tumkur or Hosur (Take NICE Road from NH4 and then get off at Hosur Road exit and proceed towards Hosur).
This is an important factor. If the driver enters Bangalore city (when coming from Pune), he would certainly lose more time trying to identify the way out in slow traffic. Make sure that a correct map is there always to guide you. And on the stretch towards Salem to Palakkad (NH47), the L&T tolled highway (two lane) also needs to be clearly marked up. Or else if the driver lands up at Coimbatore city, again it would lead to delays.

PS: Some of my so called "well planned" journeys have got slightly messed up thanks to superb map reading skills of MapMyIndia.
Old 31st May 2016, 17:02   #9552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
If the driver enters Bangalore city (when coming from Pune), he would certainly lose more time trying to identify the way out in slow traffic.
A situation that can be avoided by taking the NICE Ring Road at Nelamangala.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:44   #9553
BHPian

The KG chavadi bye-pass is almost complete. Took the flyover this time and only the last 300m or so was not complete. Of course, all the finishing work (shoulders, lane-markings)is yet to be done.

The Coimbatore bye-pass is increasingly becoming a pain, with long queues of vehicles and single lane toll booth operations most of the time. I was stuck behind a lorry whose driver was arguing for a long time and finally managed to get on to the next lane and complained to the operator there and he said there is no staff to manage the booths properly. I don't know if there is any plan to make this stretch 4 lane. Also there are a lot of accidents happening at this stretch due to the numerous crossings. Witnessed an Innova that collided with a light truck and the front got badly smashed. It had happened just before we passed and it looked like no serious injury to the occupants.

Also in news is that the Edappally and Palarivattom over bridges will be operational by June 30th. The construction of Vytilla and Maradu FOBs will be starting by the year end.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:58   #9554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The KG chavadi bye-pass is almost complete.
There were reports that the work in halted. Has work resumed now?
When I travelled in mid of April the flyovers were not open. Is it open now?
Old 1st June 2016, 11:25   #9555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There were reports that the work in halted. Has work resumed now?
When I travelled in mid of April the flyovers were not open. Is it open now?
Work has not resumed. Halted or abandoned - I dont know! No flyovers opened. However, thankfully, the entire stretch is motor-able without much of a problem
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks