Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 22:55   #11491
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I have a trip to bandipur coming up but aug 22 from Bangalore via Mysore and nanjangund, how is the road?
Is there any issue related to flooding, some social media reports say that Mysore to nanjangund road is closed due to flooding. Is this correct?
Any idea it would be an issue in another week?
Old 12th August 2018, 23:06   #11492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
I have a trip to bandipur coming up but aug 22
Please check the post previous to yours, it gives details about your query.

That said, there was no road closure yesterday too, it was just a deviation. So you need not be worried, also your travel date is bit far, things will be better by then.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 12:41   #11493
Senior - BHPian

Any latest update on Nilambur - Vazhikkadavu route?

Have a Bangalore trip next week with a break in Mudumalai and wondering if there is any issue in taking Nilambur route from Kochi.

Also thought of updating that road condition of NH66 between Edappally and Vadanappally is bad in most towns creating large convoys.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:02   #11494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Any latest update on Nilambur - Vazhikkadavu route?
The road was completely submerged as per last reports I have seen. There was a WhatsApp video circulating in which someone could be seen diving from the roof of a KeSRTC bus - water level was above the headlamps of the bus. :-)

There was also some reports that Malappuram district collector had banned traffic through the Nadugani churam route - don't remember if it was for all traffic or only truck traffic.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 15:33   #11495
BHPian

I have cancelled my trip to Munnar and the resort club Mahindra is also advising all the members to change their plan. I was disappointed initially as we had planned this trip for a long time but on reflection, there will not be too much to see as lot of places may be inaccessible and we tourists will only get in the way of things getting back to normal
Old 13th August 2018, 19:05   #11496
BHPian

Hi ,

Been tracking the situation in Kerala right now and it looks pretty grim.

Have a wedding to attend to near Ernakulam - Kalamassery to be precise with functions happening across Aluva and Panangad. How are the roads from Coimbatore to Cochin? The walayar road or the Govindapuram route - either of them safe to travel?
Old 13th August 2018, 19:28   #11497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hi ,

Been tracking the situation in Kerala right now and it looks pretty grim.

Have a wedding to attend to near Ernakulam - Kalamassery to be precise with functions happening across Aluva and Panangad. How are the roads from Coimbatore to Cochin? The walayar road or the Govindapuram route - either of them safe to travel?
Both the routes are safe to travel. Only the traffic at Kuthiran might be unpredictable. I presume you are traveling from CBE and in that case no need to detour via Govindapuram as the walayar highway is in good shape.

In Aluva the places close to Periyar river banks are inundated. Other places won't have any problem.

Keep an eye on news updates as the rains are likely to get heavier in the coming days in Palakkad especially.
Old 14th August 2018, 12:27   #11498
Senior - BHPian

I had been checking with friends in different belts of Kerala like Idukki, Palakkad, Allepey, Trivandrum and Calicut. Traffic is restored in all areas according to them and nothing to panic now.

However be watchful while doing landslide prone areas as rains are continuing. There was a ban on heavy trucks (above 10 ton) in Munnar and Nadukani stretch which is also lifted as per latest update.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 14:05   #11499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Service centre personnel told that the seats will have to be removed and the floor carpet taken out and dried. That seems to be a tedious process. Is there no other go. The carpet is like a sponge and it has absorbed lot of water.
That is the right way to do it. The mat itself is absorbing material, so sponge etc is no good as you rightly said. Since it would have already started stinking, they may actually clean again before drying
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 15:02   #11500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to get the thing dried up especially with no chance of good sunshine in near future.
Get the seats removed, get the carpet removed and insides washed carefully and dried. I would suggest leave it open and use for a week or two till sun shines. Then best bet is to spend some additional thousands and get a whole new floor mat set ordered in.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 17:52   #11501
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That seems to be a tedious process. Is there no other go. The carpet is like a sponge and it has absorbed lot of water.
Don't take any chances, you're risking damage to the floor due to rusting.

As @Jaggu mentioned, leave the car open for a few days and also consider replacing the floor carpet/mat set.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:56   #11502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
That is the right way to do it. The mat itself is absorbing material, so sponge etc is no good as you rightly said. Since it would have already started stinking, they may actually clean again before drying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get the seats removed, get the carpet removed and insides washed carefully and dried. I would suggest leave it open and use for a week or two till sun shines. Then best bet is to spend some additional thousands and get a whole new floor mat set ordered in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't take any chances, you're risking damage to the floor due to rusting.

As @Jaggu mentioned, leave the car open for a few days and also consider replacing the floor carpet/mat set.
Thank you sriturl, Jaggu and NPV.

The torrential rains are continuing relentlessly in Kerala. As I have an open garage with only a roof, it's not possible to leave the car open. For the time being I've got the water sucked out with a vacuum cleaner and the carpet dried with a hot air blower.

But still I think there is a little bit of water left at the bottom. As you people rightly pointed out I'll get the carpet removed and replaced once the rains subside. Have also ordered dehumidifiers through Amazon. Hopefully would help to reduce the moisture and odour inside the car.

Also came to know that a rubber mat could be pasted on top of the company fit sponge type floor carpet. There are car interior outfits carrying out such jobs. Is it advisable to do the same?
Old 15th August 2018, 10:58   #11503
BHPian

Please take extreme caution while traveling to / traveling in Kerala. Better avoid travel. Torrential rains along with opening of dams (33 dams) is aggravating the flood situation. Cochin airport is closed till 18th Aug. Take care.
Old 15th August 2018, 17:05   #11504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also came to know that a rubber mat could be pasted on top of the company fit sponge type floor carpet. There are car interior outfits carrying out such jobs. Is it advisable to do the same?
I personally don't like it, if moisture gets in then it will be trapped for long resulting in rust. The idea of having these type of covers is for easy cleaning that can be wiped clean with a cloth or brush.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 17:14   #11505
BHPian

Kochi airport is now closed. Incoming flights are being cancelled or rescheduled to Trivandrum or Coimbatore.

Situation in Trivandrum is getting worse as heavy rain continues. Flooding reported in many areas in Trivandrum. Following roads in Trivandrum are currently flooding.
Killipalam - Attakulangara road
Karamana - Aarannur road
Kannamoola - Vadakkadu road
Kumarapuram - Kims road

So please be cautious. Trains are also cancelled.

Last edited by Flyer : 15th August 2018 at 17:18.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks