Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 18:04   #12481
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Thanks for the info. Could you please share the source of this information?
I just rechecked with my source and it was reconfirmed as 100, but sources within MVD say that as they are yet to update the limits it remains at 90.

Strange bit is that the enforcing authorities themselves are confused because of the changes.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:45   #12482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I just rechecked with my source and it was reconfirmed as 100, but sources within MVD say that as they are yet to update the limits it remains at 90
MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS NOTIFICATION New Delhi, the 6th April, 2018
I got this gazette notification from the KL state MVD web site only. So on express highways with access controls speed limit for LMV is 120 and for 4 lane divided carriage way it is 100. But the catch is if the highway is going across a Municipal town (like for example, Chandranagar between Walayar and Wadakkanchery is part of Palakkad Municipal town), the speed limit dips to 70kmph. A interceptor squad can park itself just about 100 meters inside the Municipal limits and then issue fines for vehicle exceeding 70kmph. Such situations are not India specific. Countries like US have what is known as 'speed traps' operational for the last 20-30 years. Many small county sheriff departments and town police departments make a neat sum every year through carefully placed speed traps.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:18   #12483
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in a previous post, these limits are not applicable in Kerala, because Kerala chose to not implement them.

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/auto/new...peed-1.2748753 (in Malayalam)

Edit: Therefore, circulating the above PDF in the context of Kerala is meaningless and misleading. The speed limits applicable in Kerala are still as per the 2014 notification. There have been chatter in the state to bring these limits more in line with the ones in the 2018 notification but nothing has materialised yet.

Last edited by binand : 10th March 2020 at 09:21.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 09:21   #12484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As mentioned in a previous post, these limits are not applicable in Kerala, because Kerala chose to not implement them.
A rude surprise that Kerala MVD web site does NOT have any circular or notice which then explains what is the speed limits in Kerala. A person who reads the central govt notification will be in for a shock when he enters KL state roads.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:27   #12485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A rude surprise that Kerala MVD web site does NOT have any circular or notice which then explains what is the speed limits in Kerala. A person who reads the central govt notification will be in for a shock when he enters KL state roads.
Not clearly marked I agree, but the page that opens when you click on "Acts & Rules" have the applicable 2014 speed limits listed.

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/act-rules

Also, a Google search for "speed limits in Kerala" has this link at the top:

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/...2014/91-14.pdf
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 09:28   #12486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I got this gazette notification from the KL state MVD web site only. So on express highways with access controls speed limit for LMV is 120 and for 4 lane divided carriage way it is 100.
That is the central notification. However, the authority to modify these limits within each state (subject to the higher limit as specified by the centre) have been given to the state. The state's MVD is yet to modify the limits and so it stands at 90.

This is the Kerala state MVD notification that still holds valid:
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 10:22   #12487
BANNED

We have a thread on speed limits in KL

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...s-revised.html (Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised)

Also,

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...-highways.html
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:21   #12488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/auto/new...peed-1.2748753 (in Malayalam)

Edit: Therefore, circulating the above PDF in the context of Kerala is meaningless and misleading. The speed limits applicable in Kerala are still as per the 2014 notification. There have been chatter in the state to bring these limits more in line with the ones in the 2018 notification but nothing has materialised yet.
I'm more comfortable believing the Kerala Transport Commissioner's FB post from Oct 2019 than a newspaper report from 2018.

Name:  20200311_11h06_34.png
Views: 1415
Size:  33.4 KB

https://www.facebook.com/mvdkerala/p...87614077973251

Ever since I saw that post, I've been driving at 90-95kmph on the divided 4-lane stretch and I am yet to be snapped by any speed camera between Walayar and Vadakkenchery.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:26   #12489
BHPian

Anyone travelled yesterday to Kerala by road?. There was a proposal to start the thermal screening of everyone who cross to Kerala at the boarder in view of the Corona epidemic. Wanted to know whether this activity has been started
Old 16th March 2020, 11:27   #12490
Senior - BHPian

I am planning drive to native on 23rd March, but unable to decide due to the current Corona situation. My friend had driven on 15th March with no checking in both TN and Kerala border. Worry is the stories around mandatory self quarantine for folks from Bangalore.

Last edited by gadadhar : 16th March 2020 at 11:49.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:41   #12491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am planning drive to native on 23rd March, but unable to decide due to the current Coronal situation. My friend had driven on 15th March with no checking in both TN and Kerala border. Worry is the stories around mandatory self quarantine for folks from Bangalore.
Same here, I am planning to travel on 21st, and worried if there is any screening at the border.
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:17   #12492
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning drive to native on 23rd March, but unable to decide due to the current Corona situation. My friend had driven on 15th March with no checking in both TN and Kerala border. Worry is the stories around mandatory self quarantine for folks from Bangalore.
Was talking to parents in Kerala yesterday and they mentioned that mandatory screening is announced for all inbound travel by train and bus (I am sure airports too though they didn't mention). There is lack of clarity around the situation and it can change at short notice. Being a state known to impose quick and tough measures one can never be sure. But if one has to travel, my view is that, travel by road probably would be the safest and most hassle free.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:26   #12493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Anyone travelled yesterday to Kerala by road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Same here, I am planning to travel on 21st, and worried if there is any screening at the border.
Screenings are indeed happening at the borders. Avoid travelling if you've any symptoms.

Keeleri_Achu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 13:15   #12494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worry is the stories around mandatory self quarantine for folks from Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
worried if there is any screening at the border.
I understand screening at the borders for road travellers has started, at least at the major ones (Muthanga, Walayar, Amaravila and probably Thalapady). Some reports indicate that they haven't yet setup the infrastructure at the minor ones (Iritty, Mananthavady, Govindapuram etc.).

I have cancelled my plans to visit Calicut during the 21-22 March weekend. Even Vishu-time visit looks dicey.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 15:22   #12495
BHPian

I went across to coimbatore from Thrissur, there was a check going on the tamil Nadu side after walayar. They just basically questioned us and let us carry on, and on the return there was checking just after the tamil Nadu border, same practice, just questioned and let us carry on.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks