Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 23:37   #12946
pms
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi, Am planning to drive to Mananthavady from Bangalore on 29th Nov. Would be great if any of you can share the safest route for this trip considering I will be travelling with my family. Plan to start around 5:30AM from BLR.
GMaps shows 2 routes
1)Via Mysore-Hampapura-Antharasanthe-Bavali-Kattikkulam-Mananthavady
2)Via Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Gonikopalu-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavaday
Old 28th October 2020, 08:44   #12947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Hi, Am planning to drive to Mananthavady from Bangalore on 29th Nov. Would be great if any of you can share the safest route for this trip considering I will be travelling with my family. Plan to start around 5:30AM from BLR.
GMaps shows 2 routes
1)Via Mysore-Hampapura-Antharasanthe-Bavali-Kattikkulam-Mananthavady
2)Via Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Gonikopalu-Kutta-Tholpetty-Mananthavaday
I would choose a combination route:

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Mysore ORR - HD Kote - Kattikulam - Mananthavady

Kutta-Tholpetty route has less than ideal road conditions as per my knowledge, I may be wrong. Since you are going with family it may be better to go through regular roads.
king of cochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:02   #12948
BHPian

Had travelled to Palakkad last July, now returning back to Bangalore tomorrow. I am sure things have changed a lot since July wrt travel and passes.

If anyone has travelled to Bangalore recently from Kerala, let me know if there is anything that I should prepare in advance? For example, is it required to register on any state portals like for TN and Karnataka? I believe there is no quarantine in Bangalore after travelling. Please advise and help if you have travelled recently to Bangalore.

Thanks.
Old 28th October 2020, 11:10   #12949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Had travelled to Palakkad last July, now returning back to Bangalore tomorrow. I am sure things have changed a lot since July wrt travel and passes.

If anyone has travelled to Bangalore recently from Kerala, let me know if there is anything that I should prepare in advance? For example, is it required to register on any state portals like for TN and Karnataka? I believe there is no quarantine in Bangalore after travelling. Please advise and help if you have travelled recently to Bangalore.

Thanks.
I would recommend you take KL->KA Transit Pass from TN Portal:

http://tnepass.tnega.org/
king of cochin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:12   #12950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
For example, is it required to register on any state portals like for TN and Karnataka?
There is no registration / Quarantine formalities for Karnataka. It is as normal as it was pre-Covid scenario.

You have to take a transit pass for Tamil Nadu. It's instantaneous approval and keep a printed copy with you.
Earlier, it was advised to stick that transit pass on windshield. Now a days, no one checks. Still carry a physical copy.

url for TN epass

https://tnepass.tnega.org/#/user/pass
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:47   #12951
pms
BHPian

I have planned my trip to Mananthavady tomorrow morning from BLR and has already received the Short Visit Permit from Covid Portal. Bit confused with the news mentioning Covid -ve test certificate to enter Kerala borders now. Not sure how far is this true and if people are questioned at the KL borders for the same. Am thinking of alternate plans now in case if we are not permitted entry at the checkpost near Kattikulam :-(
Old 28th October 2020, 15:55   #12952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Bit confused with the news mentioning Covid -ve test certificate to enter Kerala borders now. Not sure how far is this true and if people are questioned at the KL borders for the same.(
Asking for Covid -ve test certificate is a fake news. There is no such official order / movement in place.

I crossed Walayar check-post on Sunday. No checking anywhere.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:16   #12953
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Asking for Covid -ve test certificate is a fake news. There is no such official order / movement in place.

I crossed Walayar check-post on Sunday. No checking anywhere.
Good to know this.
Even I am trying to find authenticity of this news, it is dated as of 26th Oct, this Monday. Hopefully its a smooth sailing for me across the border tomorrow.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:50   #12954
BHPian

Todays Manorama reporting on Kuthiran tunnels.

Mr. Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road transport and Highways, in a reply to TN Prathapan MP said that one of the Tunnels in Kuthiran will be opened for traffic in January 2021.
The balance work in the other tunnel will also be resumed along with this.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...an-tunnel.html
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 07:33   #12955
BHPian

What would be a route from Mangalore to Trichur, which would have zero traffic? Wanted to avoid Kannur, Kozhikode and travel by the roads with least traffic. Distance addition is not an issue. ()
Old 30th October 2020, 07:52   #12956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
What would be a route from Mangalore to Trichur, which would have zero traffic? Wanted to avoid Kannur, Kozhikode and travel by the roads with least traffic. Distance addition is not an issue. ()
Inspite of the traffic, that is still the best route.

Any other route will take you through curves, hilly terrains and narrow roads which is simply not worth it. Distance would surely be extra.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 20:25   #12957
Senior - BHPian

Looking for some help on the travel route to Kozhencherry.

- Do I have to still register in Jagratha Site for Short Visit? The site somehow is not letting me add additional traveler information and I am unable to submit the request.

- How is the Kumily route via Mundakayam, Erumely, Ranni?

Appreciate any information on this guys, thanks.
Old 30th October 2020, 20:33   #12958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Inspite of the traffic, that is still the best route.

Any other route will take you through curves, hilly terrains and narrow roads which is simply not worth it. Distance would surely be extra.
Thanks
That's exactly what I want. Anything but the boring Calicut Kannur Kasargod road, with its traffic and narrow roads. Any suggestion to bypass the same?
Old 30th October 2020, 21:53   #12959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Thanks
That's exactly what I want. Anything but the boring Calicut Kannur Kasargod road, with its traffic and narrow roads. Any suggestion to bypass the same?
Hmm.

Then your option is to take the Malabar Hill Highway. Need to deviate from Kanhangad and head towards east. That's anyway not a bad route if you are ok to get back to NH at Thalassery. But if you still want to avoid NH, then proceed on hill highway but beware that it will take you further east and waaay big a detour. At any point you can decide to get back to NH though.

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_20201030214845_maps.jpg

Enjoy the drive!
Old 31st October 2020, 13:12   #12960
BHPian

Using Short Visit Pass I entered Kerala at midnight of 30th. There was no Covid checking of any sort at Walayar and I was able to travel without any checking of any sort from Bangalore to Kochi.

Most Viewed