Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 17:23   #211
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from Pgt (like 4 hrs back).This time, for the first time, took the Bhavani Road and it was great. I had taken it while going to PGT and liked it so much that I took the same while coming back.

Had the family while going; and was alone on the trip back.

Nothing much to be said aboue the road condition; Rajesh has made a good job of it.

But one interesting thing (well couple of things) happened. They are:
1. Heavy traffic jam after Bhavani; cost me 1.5 hrs and then had to do a bit of off-roading to get out of it. Will post the video later. End result was - got out of the jam, and got the car a HELL lot of scratches from the various thorns that I had to wade thru!!! The traffic jam was almost 10km~ on both ends with no solution in site!!! I was just plain lucky, I guess.

2. Gave a ride to a father, who was getting late (due to the above mentioned jam) to go back home, after duty, and take his daughters to a birthday party (village style). Found myself with one happy person! (Just made my day! :-) :-) )

3. Every line of traffic that I chose to take, in a jam situation, ended up being the slowest one!!!!! (GODDDD!!!)

4. Started at 4am today morning and reached home only at 13.30!!! The longest ride in this sector.

5. Finally got a good alternative route to beat the Salem-Perundurai 'maniac' private buses!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 30th April 2008 at 17:25.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:28   #212
BANNED

What is the best route from Bangalore to Marthandam? Marthandam is in Tamilnadu, very close to Trivandrum. I am not able to find this place on any map. Apparently, Kuzhithurai is the nearest railway station.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:03   #213
Team-BHP Support

Marthandam falls in between Trivandrum and Kanyakumari, actually very close to Kuzithurai (which is towards TVM side) if memory serves it right.

From Bangalore, Kanyakumari and then to Marthandam will be shortest route. But i have heard that there is too much of 4 laning work happening in Tamilnadu side (from Bangalore). Then again TVM to Kanyakumari also 4 lane has started is what i have heard.

So it is a choice of longer route and Kerala traffic VS shorter route 4 laning and TN traffic.

Other members familiar of present condition please update.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:49   #214
BANNED

Keeping in mind of Jaggu's suggestions, I would like to add that you don't have to go all the way till KanyaKumari for Marthandam. about 50kms(or so) before Kanyakumari, take the left which goes to Nagercoil/Marthandam etc..

NH 7 is better than driving thru Kerala unless you want to enjoy God's own country!
Old 6th May 2008, 18:21   #215
Senior - BHPian

Just o give you a little more detail - Marthandam is 27 kms from Nagercoil, just 10 kms before the Kerala Border. Kuzhithurai comes after Marthandam on the way to the last TN town Kaliyikkavilai.

When you are coming from Bangalore via Madurai and Tirunelveli, you take NH7 till 5 kms after Panagudi Town, where the road branches off - left hand side road goes to Kanyakumari 25 kms away. You take off from NH7 on the road going to the right towards Nagercoil which is 20 kms away. his road is suppposed to have been in not-so-good condition a few months ago, and is narrow and very curvy, hence be slow.

You have to plough through Nagercoil town and take NH47 towards Trivandrum to reach Martandam. The road from Nagercoil is slow and quite congested during day, but a great road to drive at night.

From Marthandam to Trivandrum on NH47 is 40 kms.
Old 6th May 2008, 18:33   #216
BANNED

Thanks for all the replies. How much time should I budget for this drive (550 km approx.?)?
Old 7th May 2008, 08:25   #217
BHPian

A few friends and I are planning a weekend trip to Wayanad. I just wanted to know the condition of the Bangalore - Wayanad route. There are 5 of us, so I am wondering if I should take my Baleno (low ground clearance gonna become lower) or beg for my cousin's Swift.

Also, what is the best route to go to Wayanad. I usually tend to get lost inside Mysore city....
Old 7th May 2008, 12:19   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
A few friends and I are planning a weekend trip to Wayanad. I just wanted to know the condition of the Bangalore - Wayanad route. There are 5 of us, so I am wondering if I should take my Baleno (low ground clearance gonna become lower) or beg for my cousin's Swift.

Also, what is the best route to go to Wayanad. I usually tend to get lost inside Mysore city....
I think you can drive your Baleno if you drive slow and careful (read: VERY SLOW) at the 15 odd km stretch after Gundlupet. Except this section, rest of the roads are indeed very good for any car. In and around Wayanad,I am not sure of the GC for Baleno because all depends on the places you choose to visit. A few places I have visited ( Pookkode Lake, Soochippara Falls etc) didnt have any bad roads.

If you are confused inside Mysore City, just ask for directions. You can very well spot the directions to "Ooty" etc as well. Afterall, the city is not so big or crowded and you can easily cross it in no time. There is a ring road which will take you to your destination bypassing the city, but it is a long route.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 7th May 2008 at 12:22.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:32   #219

Pune- Coimbatore by road

[FONT=Verdana]Travelled a little over 1340 kms from Pune to [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Coimbatore[/FONT][FONT=Verdana], with detours in Karwar, Murdeshwar and Kannur.
After all the horror stories I'd heard, the roads were not too bad. But they were bad, if you wanted to drive consistently at 80 kmph. But I guess, after you've spent half your life travelling on Pune's roads, no highway is ever THAT bad. There were the usual bumps, potholes and humps and we couldn't really go over an average of 40 kmph from Yellapur to Karwar. But we still managed 600 kms on the first day driving from 6 am - 4 pm.
On the second day we did 158 kms from Karwar to Murdeshwar in 5 hours because the drive to Gokarna and Om beach took us almost 2.30 hrs.
The third stretch from Murdeshwar to Kannur of 313 kms took us almost 9 hours with stops for breakfast and lunch and a detour to Bekal fort where we spent about 45 minutes. I forgot the traffic on the roads, especially the Karnataka and Kerala transport bus drivers!
The fourth stretch from Kannur to Coimbatore of 294 kms was the slowest, thanks again to the roads and the heavy traffic. We left Kannur at 6.30 am, stopped for half an hour for breakfast at Grifi's Green 24-hour restaurant at Payyoli (P.T Usha's hometown), lunch at Palakkad and reached CBE at 4 pm.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Our next stretch is to Trichur, Kochi and TVM on May 8.
[/FONT]
Old 27th May 2008, 13:34   #220
BHPian

I'm planning to travel down to Thrissur (actually Guruvayoor) in my M800 sometime next week.
Any inputs on what is the best route to take? How much would be the distance and driving time?

Option 1. Bangalore – Mysore – Bandipur – Gudalur – Nilambur – Perinthalmanna - Shoranur – Thrissur

Option 2. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palghat - Palghat- Thrissur

Have travelled B'lore > Salem almost a year back. B'lore > Mysore > Bandipur is familiar route!

Been reading about work going on in the Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri section.
How bad is it for a nervous driver?

Had put the same query in another thread. But I thot this is a better place to raise this query.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...tml#post842540 (Bangalore - Cochin in my Ikon)
Old 27th May 2008, 15:58   #221
Senior - BHPian

Option 1 preferable. Some bad things about that route:
- Bad roads from Mudumalai to Gudalur
- Some bad sections reported in Pattambi area (please surf this forum for the mails on this subject)
Old 27th May 2008, 20:09   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

Option 1. Bangalore – Mysore – Bandipur – Gudalur – Nilambur – Perinthalmanna - Shoranur – Thrissur

Option 2. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palghat - Palghat- Thrissur

[/url]
Latest updates anyone one 1 and 2? Have not tried 1 in a long time and thinking of exploring it, might have trip June 2nd week.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:25   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Latest updates anyone one 1 and 2? Have not tried 1 in a long time and thinking of exploring it, might have trip June 2nd week.
We drove back from Cochin during second week of May via Coimbatore. The roads are mcuh better now. We could cover the distance(528 kms) in approx 11.5 hrs (including breakfast, lunch and all other kiddie stops)

Regards
Rex
Old 28th May 2008, 10:44   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
We drove back from Cochin during second week of May via Coimbatore. The roads are mcuh better now. We could cover the distance(528 kms) in approx 11.5 hrs (including breakfast, lunch and all other kiddie stops)

Regards
Rex
Like Rex said i guess the roads have improved and this should be the best option as of now
Old 31st May 2008, 22:08   #225

Just returned to Pune on May 24 after a 22-day trip to South India. Left on May 3-Did Pune-Karwar-Murdeshwar-Kannur-Coimbatore-Thrissur(Chalakudi)-Kochi-Thiruvananthapuram-Kanyakumari-Madurai--Chennai (Mahabalipuram, Pondy)-Bangalore-Kolhapur-Pune. Totally 4463 kms. Stayed overnight in most places and also visted relatives and friends we hadn't met in 20 years!
We went in our Swift LXI and it never gave us any trouble. Also, except for a bottle of coolant and a powerful torch, as safety precautions. And none of us even felt a niggle after driving that distance,.
The road weren't all that bad, except for some stretches near Udupi and Mangalore on NH 17, which were so because of road widening. Then it was terrible from Madurai to Tirunelvelli. A lot of portions between Madurai and Trichy were two-lane because of road widening. But that didn't slow us down. The Tindivanam to Chennai stretch is a dream.
On our way back the Chitradurga-Davangere-Harihar-Ravibennur-Haveri stretch has a few bad moments. Over all, its' been pretty good. This is India, one can't expect GQ everywhere! I guess we left Pune, expecting the worst, so we were left pleasantly surprised.
The only exception were the Kerala roads, which were bad in most places. The Palakkad-Coimbatore was easily the worst.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks