Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 12:47   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Chennai - Best route, time, distance & road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
On way back, took the Narasaraopet-Muppalla-Karempudi-Macherla route. This stretch was HORRIBLE. Roads between Narasaraopet to Muppala (through Rompicherla) is really bad,
I ended up taking side roads rather than the ones quoted earlier in this thread, but we were driving through 4 feet wide roads through villages for major part of the Narasaraopet - Macherla stretch.
Did Hyderabad - Chilkaluripeta - Hyderabad last week .

Onward: Hyderabad- Sagar- Macherla -Ipuru - Rompicherla- Narsaraopeta- CKPT
Return : CKPT- Narsaraopeta-Nakrekallu-Karempudi - MAcherla - Sagar Hyderabad.

While going towards Narsaraopeta, somehow, got sucked into doing Karempudi -Ipuru- Narsaraopeta via Rompicherla. It was already dark, and it was a torture of a life time driving on the moonscape type dirt tracks with deep craters and what not. This is my worst driving experience upto now.

Guys, avoid Rompicherla route at any cost !

IMHO, better option is to take a left turn in karempudi town itself towards julakallu and take the road to Nakrekallu via Gundlapalli and Narsingapadu.
We took this comfortable route while returning and saved almost 1.5 hrs in comparison to Rompicherla route. Road surface is good. Very less traffic between Nakrekallu and Karempudi.

CKPT- Narsaraopeta - Narekallu, road condition is good to very good

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 27th February 2012 at 12:55. Reason: added details
Night_Hawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 12:59   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There is a way to avoid Anantapur town totally.
Continue on NH7 after crossing the Ananthapur BYpass Flyover and go down 9 kms further towards Bangalore till you hit a small junction - unsure if ther eis any marking - and turn left. Go 3 kms and you will reach another cross road where you turn right onto the road to Kadiri (the road straight goes back into Ananthapur city). No problem road, you will be through Anantapur without any time delay.
Its called the Rapthadu junction. You have to be on the Expressway and not get into the city. Keep going on passing 2 flyovers and then turn left on this junction.

I went to Tirupati in the last week of Jan. Route taken was Hyd-Anantpur-Madanapalle-Tirupati as told by you. It's awesome till Ananapur and then an excellent 2 laned highway till Tirupati. Just a word of advice. Ask for Pileru at Madanapalle and not Tirupati, else you will be guided on to the village roads and will only waste time.

However as the Hyd-Vijaywada road continues to improve, I think that going to Chennai, taking this route is the best option. One can easily do Vijaywada in 4 hours and then Chennai in 5 hours from there. Although the 4 laning on the Vijaywada highway is under progress, road surface is a runway to say the least. Only about 30 kms do you get rough surface.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:10   #288
Senior - BHPian

Once the Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway is complete it can be done in 4hrs.
Last week I went to Vijayawada it took 5hrs from Hyderabad.
The road conditions are better now between Hyd-Vijayawada.
Vijayawada-Guntur six laning is going on so there are plenty of diversions but the road conditions are good.
Old 27th February 2012, 20:24   #289
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Am planning to drive to Hyderabad from Chennai on a Maruti 800.

Please suggest me a route. I am planning to leave chennai by 3 in the morning and want to reach Hyderabad before night.

I donot know Telegu, guess that will not be a major constraint.

Thanks in Advance,

Ajay
Old 27th February 2012, 23:15   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Am planning to drive to Hyderabad from Chennai on a Maruti 800.
When are you planning for the drive? I have a drive planned in the middle of March.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:10   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
When are you planning for the drive? I have a drive planned in the middle of March.

Hi,
Am leaving on 15th of March. On return , I have booked my tickets for Charminar on 17th of March.

@thenomad, when have you planned your trip? what vehicle?

Regards,
Ajay
Old 1st March 2012, 17:24   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Am leaving on 15th of March. On return , I have booked my tickets for Charminar on 17th of March.

@thenomad, when have you planned your trip? what vehicle?

Regards,
Ajay
Chennai-Redhills-NH5-Nayudupeta-Nellore-Ongole-Chilkaluripet-Narasaraopet-Karempudi-Macherla-Nagarjuna Sagar-Ibrahimpatnam-LB Nagar(Hyd).Budget for a 9-10hour drive.Expect some bad roads between Narasaraopet & Macherla.

Redhills Bus Station to LB Nagar, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 16:15   #293
BHPian

Although I am late to comment on this route thread, however the best route for Chennai is Hyd-Vijaywada-Chennai. Hyd-vijaywada is a much better route and most of the route is 4 laned or work is on.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:49   #294
BHPian

Hi Gaurav,
I will be going from Hyd-Vja and back, this weekend and was debating on the route as i heard from various sources that the work is still only halfway done.
Could you please confirm on how much of the stretch was completed and how much time it took you?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Although I am late to comment on this route thread, however the best route for Chennai is Hyd-Vijaywada-Chennai. Hyd-vijaywada is a much better route and most of the route is 4 laned or work is on.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:01   #295
Senior - BHPian

March 1st week this is the road updates to Hyd_Vijayawada.
Hyderabad- Chottupal almost four laned.
Chottupal-Chitial-four lane is complete.
Chitial-Suryapet one side of the road is complete and diversions are less.
Halted at hotel 7 at Suryapet good option neat toilets.
Suryapet-Kodad diversion are there but one side of the road is complete.
Kodad bridge construction is progressing.
Kodad -Nadigama some stretches are incomplete.
Nandigama-Vijayawada is four laned.
It took about 5hrs to reach Vijayawada
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 20:15   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Hi Gaurav,
I will be going from Hyd-Vja and back, this weekend and was debating on the route as i heard from various sources that the work is still only halfway done.
Could you please confirm on how much of the stretch was completed and how much time it took you?
Thanks.
I have pm'ed you my details. You can call me anytime and will give you all the details.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 05:42   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Hi Gaurav,
Thanks.
Bhuvan,There is another route,which would add up kilometers but is an excellent and fast route.The route would be Hyd-Anantpur-Kadiri-Horsley Hills-Madanapalle-Palamner-Vellore-Join the BLR-CHENNAI NH4-Chennai.Would be around 750kms but should be a fast drive thanks to 4laned roads for most parts.

If not this,then I would reccomend going through VJA.Even though diversions are in place,the road quality is very good and the drive should take you around 5hours.From VJA till Guntur is a bit of a mess thanks to 6 laning in progress.Beyond Guntur all the way till Red Hills,Chennai is excellent.Budget for a 12hour drive.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 09:24   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bhuvan,There is another route,which would add up kilometers but is an excellent and fast route.The route would be Hyd-Anantpur-Kadiri-Horsley Hills-Madanapalle-Palamner-Vellore-Join the BLR-CHENNAI NH4-Chennai.Would be around 750kms but should be a fast drive thanks to 4laned roads for most parts.

If not this,then I would reccomend going through VJA.Even though diversions are in place,the road quality is very good and the drive should take you around 5hours.From VJA till Guntur is a bit of a mess thanks to 6 laning in progress.Beyond Guntur all the way till Red Hills,Chennai is excellent.Budget for a 12hour drive.
Hi Ranjit. I will not be going to Chennai, but only till Vijayawada for a wedding and back. But to add to the thread discussion I have taken the route you suggested above from Hyd- Chennai in jan and covered the distance from Liberty, hyd to Besant nagar, chennai in 11 hours. You will find my post in earlier pages.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 02:01   #299
BHPian

Did Chennai to Hyderabad on 15th March,

Chennai - Ongole was breeze.
from Ongole, at the 30th km , took left towards Addanki. The roads from Addanki to Hyderabad were not that good, lots of speedbreakers. especially till nalgonda. Nalgonda - Narkatpally - Hyderabad was good again. totally it took around 13 hrs and the M800 gave 23kmpl.

Driving in Hyderabad needs skills. Seriously, some bikers in hyd are clowns, making the road a circus . No offense meant!
Old 16th April 2012, 17:22   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Did Chennai to Hyderabad on 15th March,

Chennai - Ongole was breeze.
from Ongole, at the 30th km , took left towards Addanki. The roads from Addanki to Hyderabad were not that good, lots of speedbreakers. especially till nalgonda. Nalgonda - Narkatpally - Hyderabad was good again. totally it took around 13 hrs and the M800 gave 23kmpl.

Driving in Hyderabad needs skills. Seriously, some bikers in hyd are clowns, making the road a circus . No offense meant!
You are being charitable by calling only some bikers as clowns! Driving in Hyderabad is a pretty BP inducing experience. Older the car, better you are in dealing with these jokers. I am a totally different driver when I'm driving my 8 year old Wagon R to when I drive my 8 month old Vento!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks