Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 17:03   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Chennai - Best route, time, distance & road conditions

I would take the NH5-Chilkaluripet-Narsraopet-Macherla-Sagar-HYd route.4laned till Chilkapuripet and from thenon 2laned roads.

In a Skoda you should be able to do the drive in about 9-10 hours.No decent or good places to break.Carry your own food.Start around 5am from Chennai and you would be in LB Nagar Crossroads by about 3pm.The only place I can think of stopping to eat is at Haritha in Nagarjuna Sagar,other than that there really does not exist any good restaurants on the highways.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:57   #227

Fantastic!!!.. Thanks so much for the input..

This is my 1st trip to Hyd. I am not aware of the city.

I wd be staying in Banjara. How far is it from LB Nagar Crossroad?
Old 16th December 2010, 07:40   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prem Ganesh View Post
Fantastic!!!.. Thanks so much for the input..

This is my 1st trip to Hyd. I am not aware of the city.

I wd be staying in Banjara. How far is it from LB Nagar Crossroad?
That would be around 24 kms if you go via Tarnaka, and aroiund 3 kms shorter if you go via Chaderghat and Abids. Estimated time varies from 1 hour to more, depending on traffic.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:53   #229
BHPian

That depends on which time of the day you are entering the City. One more option and less traffic road is the inner ring road via Mehandipattinam which is less crowded, but a little longer around 29 kms. Here is the route link

Hope this helps.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:54   #230
BHPian

Reached Chennai on 23rd Dec evening at 6.00 PM.

Took the hyd-sagar-macherla-karempudi-narsaraopet-chilkaluripet-ongole-nellore-chennai route.

The Sagar router was very good, except for some pot holes that got developed due the recent rains.. At most places, the roads were dug for the water to flow across the road. Roads from Macherla-Chilkaluripet were not so good, but was manageable.

Started at 4.00 AM from hyderabad and reached Chilkaluripet at 11.30 AM with a small break at Macherla for breakfast. At Chilkaluripet and Ongole, we had to stop for around half an hour as there was some Dharna staged by the TDP for some reasons... Reached Chennai at 6.00 PM in the evening with just a tea break in between.

Enjoyed the drive this time and reached a max speed of 120 kmph.

I have tried all the roads from chennai to hyderabad and this one seems to be the best as of now.
Old 25th December 2010, 23:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkrish View Post
Reached Chennai on 23rd Dec evening at 6.00 PM.

Took the hyd-sagar-macherla-karempudi-narsaraopet-chilkaluripet-ongole-nellore-chennai route.

The Sagar router was very good, except for some pot holes that got developed due the recent rains.. At most places, the roads were dug for the water to flow across the road. Roads from Macherla-Chilkaluripet were not so good, but was manageable.

Started at 4.00 AM from hyderabad and reached Chilkaluripet at 11.30 AM with a small break at Macherla for breakfast. At Chilkaluripet and Ongole, we had to stop for around half an hour as there was some Dharna staged by the TDP for some reasons... Reached Chennai at 6.00 PM in the evening with just a tea break in between.

Enjoyed the drive this time and reached a max speed of 120 kmph.

I have tried all the roads from chennai to hyderabad and this one seems to be the best as of now.
You lost quite some time I guess,the drive was turned out to be a 14hour one!
Old 26th December 2010, 15:31   #232
BHPian

Ya, true.. Just before touching NH5 at Chilkaluripet, the Dharna was staged at the intersection. Luckily, one localite warned us before and asked us to take an alternate route to reach NH5. Otherwise, we would have been very late.. Other than that, the roads are quite ok after the rain.

Planning to take the same route while going back to hyderabad.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:10   #233
BHPian

Came back from Chennai yesterday. Took the same sagar route. Here are some updates :

Started at 4am from Chennai. Reached Chilkaluripet at 10am. Straight 6 hours drive with a 15 mins break in between for tea after Nellore.

Had breakfast and started at 1030 am from Chilkaluripet and went via Narsaraopet-Karempudi-Macherla-Sagar-Hyd. From Chilkaluripet to Hyderabad took 6 hours with a half-an-hour lunch break at Sagar Dam.

Overall, took 11.5 hours and this is the best timing i had achieved till now.

Roads : Hyd-Sagar stretch also has lots of unexpected pot-holes that you need to watch out all-through this stretch, but these pot-holes are being filled up now. Roads from Sagar to Macherla is OK. Roads at Karempudi and till Durgi is really very bad. The Canal-bridge just before Karempudi has a big broad unexpected crater which you need to be very careful. I had to let off my Polo into that hole and bumped into the under-body. Need to check the underbody in my next visit to the VW service.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:16   #234
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I am travelling to Hyderabad this Saturday with my Family. As there are ladies in the group, could someone please help me by pointing out some stops on this route which might have decent rest-rooms?
Thanks in Advance!!

Route to be taken- I will take the NH5-Chilkaluripet-Narsraopet-Macherla-Sagar-HYd route, like everyone else.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:34   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Hi Folks,
I am travelling to Hyderabad this Saturday with my Family. As there are ladies in the group, could someone please help me by pointing out some stops on this route which might have decent rest-rooms?
Thanks in Advance!!

Route to be taken- I will take the NH5-Chilkaluripet-Narsraopet-Macherla-Sagar-HYd route, like everyone else.
Just after Ongole you have a BPCL Ghar dhaba with decent food and rest rooms. Also Sagar has a decent restaurant and tourist complex. So shouldn't be a problem!
Old 10th January 2011, 11:49   #236
BHPian

Did Chennai- Chilkaluripet- Vijaywada- Hyderabad 2 days back. Had originally planned to do the Chennai- Chilkaluripet-Macherla- Sagar- Hyd route, but my dad had to say a quick hello to someone at Vijaywada, so took this route.

Upto Chilkalurpet, road is awesome. From there onwards road is okay types, upto Vijaywada. Vijaywada to Hyderabad, four laning is in progress, so traffic was very slow between the two. By the looks of it, this four laning is going to take quite sometime.

Total distance- Chennai (Kilpauk) to Hyderabad(Gachibowli) 750Km. Time taken- 14hrs.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:27   #237
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Hyderabad route

Hello All,

I recently travelled thru Sagar route to chennai..from HYD to Sagar (August 2010)..road is fine..I suggest early morning start to avoid traffic..from Sagar to Addanki..it's really very bad..as someone has mentioned ..it's just like craters on MOON..not sure if it's fixed...addanki-ongole-chennai..is like cream..
Old 8th March 2011, 21:54   #238
BHPian

The last time I travelled (December 2010) from Hyderabad to Chennai the road between Nagarjunasagar and chilkaluripet were really bad at some patches. Anybody knows whether these patches have been repaired ? I need to travel again next week and I am eager to know.
Old 9th March 2011, 10:38   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
The last time I travelled (December 2010) from Hyderabad to Chennai the road between Nagarjunasagar and chilkaluripet were really bad at some patches. Anybody knows whether these patches have been repaired ? I need to travel again next week and I am eager to know.
1 month ago, they continued to be bad.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:19   #240
Senior - BHPian

Now the bad stretches are only between Karempudi & Macherla,rest of the section is more or less ok as per someone who travelled a couple of weeks back

Hyderabad-C'pet should take you 5-5.5hrs
C'pet to RedHills should take you another 4.5-5hours

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th March 2011 at 11:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks