Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 12:58   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadi Bhote View Post
...Intend to travel to Chennai via Ongole : Can someone who has taken the route recently - after the rains and floods- advise me on the road conditions specially on the NH5 before and after Ongole? Is road vis Nagarjuna sagar - Macherla, Pidugurlla, Chilakaluripet - intact or has rains and flloding affected it?........
A few posts down you will see a post from me on 6 Oct on the Chennai - Hyd route through Pidiguralla and Miriyalguda just after the floods. Don't know about the Macherla area though.

NH 5 from Chilakaluripet to Chennai is absolutely fine.

Last edited by straightdrive : 12th October 2009 at 13:02.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:18   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
A few posts down you will see a post from me on 6 Oct on the Chennai - Hyd route through Pidiguralla and Miriyalguda just after the floods. Don't know about the Macherla area though.

NH 5 from Chilakaluripet to Chennai is absolutely fine.

Thank you. Glad to know most of the route is oK.

Dadi
Old 6th November 2009, 10:01   #138
BHPian

Travel route from Chennai to Hyderabad - Advice needed

I am planning to do a weekend trip to Hyderabad from Chennai with my family with Kid. This is my first ride to AP in my new Maruti 800 which is 2 months old and driven 3500 odd kms far.

I would need help on the following details :

1. Shortest possible route with road conditions
2. Approximate Travel time
3. Pit stops on the way

Appreciate comments from the team.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2009 at 10:26. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 22:16   #139
BHPian

Hi Vinodh,

I drove back from Chennai to Hyderabad in June and tool Chennai-Ongole-Pidiguralla-Narkatpally-Hyd route and it was good. I drive Zen Estilo and prefer smooth roads. As your's is a verna, you can choose few rough roads which can reduce the distance.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:03   #140
Senior - BHPian

I driven this stretch 5 times.Hyderabad-Narketpally-Piduguralla-Addanki-Ongole is the best bet and the shortest possible time.The problem is between Hyderabad to Narketpally heavy traffic if you want to avoid this stretch then Ibrahimpatnam-Nagarjunasagar-Macherla-Dichipally-Piduguralla would be better.Piduguralla to Addanki road is average about 80kms.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:37   #141
BHPian

Travel route from Chennai to Hyderabad

Hi,

We did this route last week : Hyd-Ibrahimpatnam-Nagarjunasagar-Macherla-Pidugurla-Narsaroapet-Chilkaluripet-Ongole- Nellore - Chennai.

The road is fairly good and this route has less traffic and that makes up for the road conditions in bits here and there. Did not take Adanki road as it is said to be very bad. Time taken with b'fast and lunch and tea stops was 10.5 hours.

Chilkaluripet to Chennai is a breeze on the NH . Watch out however for vehicles coming on the wrong side/ wrong way on this stretch.

On return, there is a very good stop for a meal : 280 Kms from Chennai on teh NH5 are a few local village ladies cooking dosas, idly vada etc fresh on the roadside in small carts . Excellent and clean too. There are also a couple of road side RELIANCE A1 style food stops on the NH which appeared nice. Not much else by way of dhabas.

Dadi Bhote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I driven this stretch 5 times.Hyderabad-Narketpally-Piduguralla-Addanki-Ongole is the best bet and the shortest possible time.The problem is between Hyderabad to Narketpally heavy traffic if you want to avoid this stretch then Ibrahimpatnam-Nagarjunasagar-Macherla-Dichipally-Piduguralla would be better.Piduguralla to Addanki road is average about 80kms.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:03   #142
Senior - BHPian

From Macherla which route did you take to Piduguralla was it through Karempudi or Dichipally
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:39   #143
BHPian

Just follow this route;

Hyd-Ibrahimpatnam-Mallepalli-Sagar-Narsaraopet-Chilkaluripet-Ongole_Nellore-Chennai

Do not take any diversions after sagar to Pidigurala. There are heavy rim breakers and you will eventually loose lot of time.

Drive from Narsaraopet to Chilakluripet will be time killing, but it is worth crossing this section with little patience.

NH5 from Chilakluripet to Chennai will be a breeze. Only thing you should be prepared to pay a huge toll tax on the entire stretch.

Just wondering unlike NH4 stretch the toll taxes are not streamlined in NH5. They charge you money of any ODD like Rs.43, Rs.57, Rs.38 and so on.

HVKUMAR can you pls clarify us on the conditions for arriving this toll tax and between 2 toll booths what should be the minimum/maximum distance???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadi Bhote View Post
Hi,

We did this route last week : Hyd-Ibrahimpatnam-Nagarjunasagar-Macherla-Pidugurla-Narsaroapet-Chilkaluripet-Ongole- Nellore - Chennai.

The road is fairly good and this route has less traffic and that makes up for the road conditions in bits here and there. Did not take Adanki road as it is said to be very bad. Time taken with b'fast and lunch and tea stops was 10.5 hours.

Chilkaluripet to Chennai is a breeze on the NH . Watch out however for vehicles coming on the wrong side/ wrong way on this stretch.

On return, there is a very good stop for a meal : 280 Kms from Chennai on teh NH5 are a few local village ladies cooking dosas, idly vada etc fresh on the roadside in small carts . Excellent and clean too. There are also a couple of road side RELIANCE A1 style food stops on the NH which appeared nice. Not much else by way of dhabas.

Dadi Bhote
Old 26th November 2009, 18:59   #144
BHPian

Hi,

Following to what Dhanasekaran said above - we are planning to go to hyderabad on Dec 02nd eary morning through this route - Hyd-Ibrahimpatnam-Mallepalli-Sagar-Narsaraopet-Chilkaluripet-Ongole_Nellore-Chennai.

Return would be on Dec 06th post noon. I am assuming by evening to reach Chilkaluripet and NH5 should be OK for the dark hours.

However I want to know is this stretch bad? "Drive from Narsaraopet to Chilakluripet will be time killing"

Please let me know if there are any more updates?
Old 27th November 2009, 11:14   #145
BHPian

Hi Team - Planning to go to hyd next wed Dec 02nd early morning.

Is this route OK? Chennai-Nellore-Ongole-Chilkaluripet-Narsaraopet-Mallepalli-Sagar-Ibrahimpatnam-Hyderabad.

Please let me know if the stretch is all smooth? where can we have lunch?

return would be through same route, and it will in the evening. planning to reach NH5 by 6 or 7, then I am assuming can reach Chennai by max 11:30.

Any updates or guidance is helpful.

Regards
Sri
Old 27th November 2009, 19:26   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hi Srikanth I have travelled this route about 4-5 times I have always taken Ongole Piduguralla Narketpalli route.The road from Addanki to Pidugurala is average 70kms after that roads are ok.If you want to avoid Vijayawada highway traffic then after Piduguralla you have to go towards Sagar through Dichipally.I have seen in a post saying that Nagarjuna sagar - Macherla, Pidugurlla, Chilakaluripet this route is also good but have not tried.After Ongole you do not have any good eating places till Piduguralla.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:38   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
....Is this route OK? Chennai-Nellore-Ongole-Chilkaluripet-Narsaraopet-Mallepalli-Sagar-Ibrahimpatnam-Hyderabad......return would be through same route, and it will in the evening. planning to reach NH5 by 6 or 7, then I am assuming can reach Chennai by max 11:30...
Have heard this route is fine too though I have only gone through Chilakaluripet- Pidiguralla - Narkatpalli.

For your return, you have said it will be in the evening. Hyderabad to Chennai will take 11 to 14 hours depending on your driving style and traffic conditions. So if you want to reach Chennai by 11.30 pm I suggest you leave not later than 12 noon.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:53   #148
Senior - BHPian

The road via Nagarjuna Sagar is the best as the road condition is good.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:28   #149
BHPian

hi team - thanks for the response, is there a way to avoid Piduguralla? After Narasaraopet - is there no straight stretch to sagar?

and due to the issues in hyd, recently are there any road blocks? any updates are helpful.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:30   #150
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The road via Nagarjuna Sagar is the best as the road condition is good.

Am going to Chennai/Pondicherry on the 3rd of Dec.

Intend to take the Hyd-Sagar-Macherla-Pidiguralla-Narasaraopet-Chilakaluripet state highway and then NH5 all the way to Chennai.

Plan is to start around 2:30 AM from Hyderabad.
Is it safe to travel on the Sagar road before sunrise since I am traveling with my family ?
Also, any problems in this route due to the issues in/around Hyd since yesterday ?

Most Viewed