Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 19:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think you mean Gachibowli > Old Bombay Road > IRR to Chandrayangutta and points onward. ORR and then to Chandrayangutta would be hideously circuitous.

I am aware of this route through the middle of the city. My question was about a route via city outskirts (ie, less number junctions, signals etc.)

Thanks,

Binand
Yup, the route via ORR would be too darn long, and not worth the effort because you are leaving early in the morning.
The city routes are preferable (IRR-Chandrayangutta or via Panjugatta) ---though there are more junctions. IMO, most signals start operating from 8 am---except perhaps very major ones like Check Post, etc.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st March 2009 at 19:48.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Should I go via Nalgonda rather than Macherla?

Might be a better option. We don't know how the road from Macherla to Piduguralla is. With Civic's GC issues, it is better to not to take the road less travelled.
I finally chose to go with your advice and tooke the Nalgonda-Pidugurella-Addanki route. My impressions are:

1. Distance (as per my car's trip meter) from junction with IRR in LB Nagar/Hyderabad to the junction with IRR in Puzhal/Chennai = 605km. It took 9h 54mins to conver this distance (average speed after deducting breaks is 69.3 kmph).

2. NH9 - to some distance beyond Hyderabad, it is 4-lane dual carriageway. Then it becomes 2-lane, single carriageway and then the misery starts. The traffic volume is horrible (between 6-7AM). Very careful, alert driving needed in this stretch. The road quality is good - no potholes, no speedbreakers etc.

3. SH2 - is a beauty from Narketpally till around Miryalguda - much better to drive on than the NH9 we left behind, with hardly any traffic. The major problem is of course the occassional speed breaker that comes up (some of them were bad enough to hit my undercarriage) and the potholes. Still, this stretch needn't be the deciding factor against this road.

4. SH2 from Miryalguda till Addanki and junction with NH5 - it deteriorates gradually. The potholes become closer to each other and bigger and wider and deeper, and now we can see occassional stretches where the road has simply collapsed. Still, manageable with careful driving. The road becomes good once again a few kms shy of Addanki.

5. NH5 - is a breeze. Unfortunately, you will find the occassional car, auto, cycle and whatnot coming TOWARDS you on your side of the carriageway - and not always on the shoulder either. Very dangerous practice, NHAI and local police ought to crack down on this.

Trip sheet extract (the numbers are distance in km, time taken in hh:mm and average speed in kmph):

Hyderabad - Narkatpalli 73.3 1:21 54.3
Narkatpalli-Pidugurella 127.0 2:12 57.7
Pidugurella-Ongole 114.4 1:46 64.8
Ongole-Chennai 290.3 3:25 85.0

Binand
Old 17th March 2009, 12:06   #108
BHPian

Binand - Thanks for the report. Going by your experience with Miryalaguda-Addanki-NH5 stretch, do you think it would be better to do Miryalaguda-piduguralla-Narsaraopeta-Chilakaluripeta (merging with NH 5) when doing Hyderabad-Chennai?
Old 17th March 2009, 13:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I
3. SH2 - is a beauty from Narketpally till around Miryalguda - much better to drive on than the NH9 we left behind, with hardly any traffic. The major problem is of course the occassional speed breaker that comes up (some of them were bad enough to hit my undercarriage) and the potholes. Still, this stretch needn't be the deciding factor against this road.

4. SH2 from Miryalguda till Addanki and junction with NH5 - it deteriorates gradually. The potholes become closer to each other and bigger and wider and deeper, and now we can see occassional stretches where the road has simply collapsed. Still, manageable with careful driving. The road becomes good once again a few kms shy of Addanki.

Trip sheet extract (the numbers are distance in km, time taken in hh:mm and average speed in kmph):

Hyderabad - Narkatpalli 73.3 1:21 54.3
Narkatpalli-Pidugurella 127.0 2:12 57.7
Pidugurella-Ongole 114.4 1:46 64.8
Ongole-Chennai 290.3 3:25 85.0

Binand
Thanks for the update! You've done good speeds in those stretches---surprisingly, your average speed is higher after Pidugurella than before it. I thought the roads were bad after that place. I wonder how they will be during monsoon.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
surprisingly, your average speed is higher after Pidugurella than before it. I thought the roads were bad after that place. I wonder how they will be during monsoon.
Good point. Also I am little surprised that the average speed for Narketpally-Piduguralla is not very different from the average speed for Hyd-Narketpally.
Old 18th March 2009, 15:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

Here is a more specific extract from my trip sheet:

Hyderabad-Narkatpally 73.3 1:21 54.3
Narkatpally-Miryalguda 59.3 0:53 67.1
Miryalguda-Pidugurella 67.7 1:19 51.4
Pidugurella-Addanki 77.4 1:19 58.8
Addanki-SH2/NH2 Junction 9.3 0:08 69.8
SH2/NH2 Junction-Ongole 27.7 0:19 87.5
Ongole-AP/TN Border 242.0 2:45 88.0
AP/TN Border-Chennai 48.3 0:40 72.4

So, yes:

- Narkatpally-Miryalguda was covered faster than Hyderabad-Narkatpally - very less traffic, and the two big towns en route (Nalgonda and Miryalguda) have by-passes. There are occassional speed breakers, true - but on NH9 you more frequently end up behind a slow-moving truck with no chance of overtaking for many kilometres too

- The average after Pidugurella is higher than before it - I am also surprised now - earlier I thought it was the NH5 stretch that pulled it upwards.

- NH5 could have been covered much faster if it were not for 5 toll booths (total = Rs. 160), the integrated checkpost near AP/TN border and a couple of diversions. Once we crossed into TN, traffic on NH5 increased substantially (the TN areas are all satellite towns of Chennai).

- I don't know about the other roads - Hyderabad-N. Sagar-Macherla, Pidugurella-Guntur (NH5), Pidugurella-Narasaropet-NH5 etc. - all routes that I considered when planning the trip - but I think the AP SH2 (Nalgonda-Pidugurella-Addanki chord) route to go from NH9 to NH5 is quite motorable, considering it is the shortest route between Hyderabad-Chennai.

Binand
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:09   #112
BHPian

folks ,
any updates on this ,planning a trip to HYD and back in May'09.

tnx
Old 27th April 2009, 13:47   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
folks ,
any updates on this ,planning a trip to HYD and back in May'09.

tnx
Have a planned trip this weekend.
Will provide some info on the road conditions.

Anyone got an update for me.
I don't think anything much should have changed in April.
Considering the last detailed post is from March.

This trip will be kind of different for me. Am planning on leaving in the afternoon.
Old 1st May 2009, 09:35   #114
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad - Addanki via Miryalaguda.

The road has deteriorated.
Now the potholes in the centre are wider than the space inbetween the tires.
So its a complete stop and go.

Last year the milage on this stretch for me about 19.
This time a little under 16.
And it took me atleast 90 minutes more than last time.

I will not use it for my return journey.
Will be checking out the Sagar road instead.

My timings
Left Hyderabad at 1:30 PM.
Addanki at 7:30 PM (Exact 300 kms)
Adyar, Chennai at 12:30 AM (350 kms)

No breaks except for nature(2) and fuel(1) .
Old 1st May 2009, 12:19   #115
Team-BHP Support

Is this route correct for Chennai to Hyderabad via Sagar.
At the right bottom is Addanki
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-clipboard02.jpg
Old 1st May 2009, 18:32   #116
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be correct, though that seems to be a road less travelled. Another alternative is to go via Chilkaluripeta and join the Guntur-Sattenapalli road.
If you want to avoid NH9 traffic, you could branch off left at Miryalguda and join the Nagarjunasagar road between Sagar and Mallepalli--this could be 30 kms longer, but free from dense traffic.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:42   #117
Team-BHP Support

Another Route discovered:

In short: Chennai -> Gudur -> Rapur -> Rajampet -> Cuddapah -> Kurnool -> Hyderabad.
Chennai (Adyar) to Hyderabad (Masab Tank) in 710 kms

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ome-ghats.html
Old 6th May 2009, 16:53   #118
BHPian

Folks,
Planning to drive down week after, what roue would you suggest pls?

tnx
Old 11th May 2009, 11:13   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Hyderabad to vijayawada is 280 km.

The best route I would prefer is
Hyderabad-Nagarjuna Sagar-Piduguralla-Narasaraopet-Chilakalurpet-Ongole-Nellore-chennai. You enter NH5 at Chilakalurpet. From chilakalurpet to chennai 380 km and is a cakewalk.

I prefer sagar route to Narkatpally. The sagar route is really good with little traffic. Vijayawada road is always dangerous.

Hi,
Any updates on this, route directions will also be appreciated.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:36   #120
Team-BHP Support

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-map.jpg

Just a rough map to show the options available.

I followed the blue and yellow combination while going to Chennai.

NH 5 is a super highway that runs like a straight line that runs down.

Road conditions have been described in my earlier post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks