Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:22   #511
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Shimoga - Panaji is one of the shortest routes (650km) is 2 laned so it would take extra 2 hours to cover but this is most comfortable route If you don't want to use AC and If you love to drive forest type roads if you don't like heat like Chitradurga. Bangalore - Shimoga - sagar - Jog road is excellant right now. Its 60km stretch between Jog to honnavara which is in mixed state but not bad. nh17 from honnavara to karwar is also not so smooth but not bad. Please note in heavy rainy seson it would rain heavily in this route.

Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Panaji is longest route (700km) but would take less time since it has 300km 4 lane, 200km good national highway, 200km quiet ok national highway.

If you drive in rains my pick drive via Bangalore - hubli - belgaum - amboli - Panaji or Bangalore - hubli - Londa - Ponda - Panaji and both are shortest routes.

Take a cue from this MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! this is good and shortest route too.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 23rd June 2009 at 19:24.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:00   #512
BHPian

Thanks for the tip Ravi, would surely be helpful.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:56   #513
BHPian

I Just completed the Blore - Goa Trip.

ROUTE -

Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitrdurga - Hubli - Yellapur - Karvar - Margoa

TIME DURATION -

It took me 10 hours & 30 mins. to do this route with a half hour stop for breakfast at chitradurga and 45 min stop for lunch in karvar.

i left bangalore at 5am in the morning and reach Margoa by about 3.30pm in the afternoon.

ROAD CONDITIONS -

Bangalore to Chitradurga you have excellent 4 Lane divided roads. There is a stretch around Tumkur where you have to take a few deviations.

Chitradurga to Haveri the NH4 has only been built in stretches. there are places where you will have to take a single lane undivided highway. none of the bridges in this stretch are completed. This is not to say that the roads are in poor conidtion. this stretch can be done in an hour to hour & a half. about 100 kms roughly.

Haveri to Hubli the NH4 has been fully completed and this is another 100 kms, which can be done probably within an hours time.

Hubli to the Turn off point on NH17 which heads towards karvar the roads are jus brilliant through the ghats. you will love this drive and its a must do.

From the turn off point on NH17 till Karvar the road surface is not smooth, there are a few potholes and the tar surface is patchy and a little unnerving.

From Karvar to Margao the roads are just great inside of goa and this stretch will be done in an hours time.

i would recommend this route to anyone. definitely worth a drive.
Old 29th June 2009, 17:22   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
Chitradurga to Haveri the NH4 has only been built in stretches. there are places where you will have to take a single lane undivided highway. none of the bridges in this stretch are completed. This is not to say that the roads are in poor conidtion. this stretch can be done in an hour to hour & a half. about 100 kms roughly.
thanks for the details, sharanramesh. wanted to check on the condition of the chitradurga-haveri stretch. i hope its not too bad, cos early last year it was in terrible condition near davengere - infact there was almost no road in some bits and i found it very difficult to maneuver across those craters!
Old 30th June 2009, 11:41   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is there any work going on in this section? LAst year there was nothing going on and the roads were in a terrible state
Old 30th June 2009, 17:11   #516
BHPian

Chitradurga to Haveri has about 5 kms of bad roads in total. the remaining are good but surely not as good as the NH4.

i have managed to do chitradurga to Hubli in 3 hours. the distance is about 202 kms.

there are sections under some of the flyovers where the roads are still very poor. but its just a very small section and can be got thru it rather quickly.
Old 3rd July 2009, 19:29   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It took me 10 hours & 30 mins. to do this route with a half hour stop for breakfast at chitradurga and 45 min stop for lunch in karvar.

Excellent time
There is a stretch around Tumkur where you have to take a few deviations. In other words- no work

Chitradurga to Haveri the NH4 has only been built in stretches. there are places where you will have to take a single lane undivided highway. none of the bridges in this stretch are completed. This is not to say that the roads are in poor conidtion. this stretch can be done in an hour to hour & a half. about 100 kms roughly. Big improvement over the last year

Hubli to the Turn off point on NH17 which heads towards karvar the roads are jus brilliant through the ghats. you will love this drive and its a must do. The pot holes, speed breakers and mine trucks take away some of the joy

From Karvar to Margao the roads are just great inside of goa and this stretch will be done in an hours time. Like most Goa roads

i would recommend this route to anyone. definitely worth a drive.
My comments in bold. But contemplating the shortest route from vasco to ponda, londa, khanapur bidi kitur hubli nh4 bangy. should be about 600km. Techn0l0gist any updates on this?
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:09   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My comments in bold. But contemplating the shortest route from vasco to ponda, londa, khanapur bidi kitur hubli nh4 bangy. should be about 600km. Techn0l0gist any updates on this?
that route is still the fastest+shortest for me however have not been driving since the rains started - been driven around in a bus !
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:43   #519
Senior - BHPian

Hi goandude and techn0l0gist,

I am planning to drive goa during September end. Will it be an ideal time? My considerations are rains to be over and less crowd compared to peak seasons. I prefer Bangalore - Tumkur - Davanagere - Hubli - Karwar - Margao route for a peaceful travel with family.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:04   #520
Senior - BHPian

I was there in Goa in end september 2008 beginning october. The crowd was nominal, and some activities like water sports just started in October. Overall was pleasant.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:23   #521
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Panaji is longest route (700km) but would take less time since it has 300km 4 lane, 200km good national highway, 200km quiet ok national highway..
Ravi,

I plan to take this route towards the end of August. What is the time you reckon I can cover this distance in? Also at an overall level, what are the conditions of the roads on this route?

Thanks,
gpa
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:19   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi goandude and techn0l0gist,

I am planning to drive goa during September end. Will it be an ideal time? My considerations are rains to be over and less crowd compared to peak seasons. I prefer Bangalore - Tumkur - Davanagere - Hubli - Karwar - Margao route for a peaceful travel with family.
It still rains till the end of Sep but everything is lush green. Rates are low.

As far as roads are concerned I am planning a mid august trip to bangy and back I usually take Vasco karwar hubli NH4 bangy. Normally do it in 12 hours for 700 km in my matiz. now with my dzire, Lets see?
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:39   #523
Senior - BHPian

lol just when you think of asking for help on a route, you see one already there
I am also planning to drive down to Goa from Bangalore in september end. I was thinking of going through Chikmagalur (maybe stop there for a day) and then continue the journey.

Looked at the following route :

Blr-Tumkur-Chikmagalur-Udipi-Karwar- Goa

Google maps says 725kms

Can take a halt at Chikmagalur or Udipi.

Wifey and I plan to take a leisurely drive, we plan to leave on 26th of sept and be back in blr by the 2nd or 3rd of Oct.
Advisable? Alternate picturesque routes?
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:27   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
lol just when you think of asking for help on a route, you see one already there
I am also planning to drive down to Goa from Bangalore in september end. I was thinking of going through Chikmagalur (maybe stop there for a day) and then continue the journey.

Looked at the following route :

Blr-Tumkur-Chikmagalur-Udipi-Karwar- Goa

Google maps says 725kms

Can take a halt at Chikmagalur or Udipi.

Wifey and I plan to take a leisurely drive, we plan to leave on 26th of sept and be back in blr by the 2nd or 3rd of Oct.
Advisable? Alternate picturesque routes?
Instead of going via Tumkur, reach Chikmagalur via Hassan. Distance is less & traffic is almost nil after Hassan.

You can stay in Chikmagalur and from there, if you are not particular about going to Udupi you can avoid Udupi and take the Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Shankarnarayana-Baindur-Karwar-Goa route. You will join the NH-17 at Baindur. This is a more picturesque route (especially after the rains).
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:16   #525
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Addy. What route do i take from Sringeri to Agumbe (Koppa or Karkal)? I was checking the google maps and got confused. Then Post Agumbe one route goes towards manipal and the other goes towards Tirthehalli. Which one is this ?

The plan is completely flexible and only aimed at enjoying the drive and relaxing in Goa for a while, then back. So if there are any other suggestions please feel free to provide your inputs

Last edited by sammyboy : 23rd July 2009 at 17:18.

Most Viewed