Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:38   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Route 1 is shorter (635 km) and faster (10 hrs). BAD road for 14 km after Londa. moreover you do 71% of the drive on NH 4.

Route 2 is marginally longer in distance but significantly longer in time. due to 2 laned roads, frequent speed bumps and villages.

I found route 1 very scenic this time of the year. would not say so in summer.
sorry didnt see that you plan to do it on a bike. in which case the advantage of HN 4 would not be there and the truck traffic would make you sick. for you route 2 will be better. much less traffic.
Thanks for the info. So all the truckies & bus goes mainly from the NH4.

I was planning to night halt at Honavar going via tumkur-tiptur-shimoga. I guess thats around 434 kms and should be done in 12hrs or will I be stretching too much. The reason for the halt is that I will have wife as a pillion and dont wanna stress her out too much.
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:48   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
There is still rain everyday, So another 5 feet would make Linganamakki reservoir full. If there is heavy rain for couple of days expect water would be released and JOG falls would be nice to watch! This might happen in 3rd week of September although chances are less.

About scenic route via Shimoga is very beautifull one and less tiresome. But nh17 condition is not smooth but not very bad.

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi, for this update which made us change our plans.

Today, some time back changed my plan to drive to Udupi on 18th
now we will be driving to shimoga, stay for couple of days, visit Jog and then go to Udupi.
Old 4th September 2009, 08:26   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I was planning to night halt at Honavar going via tumkur-tiptur-shimoga. I guess thats around 434 kms and should be done in 12hrs or will I be stretching too much. The reason for the halt is that I will have wife as a pillion and dont wanna stress her out too much.
Halt at Shimoga would be beter as it is approx half way. and would have decent hotesa as it is a bigger town than Honavar.
Old 4th September 2009, 12:17   #619
Senior - BHPian

Halt and food facility at Shimoga (prefered stay at jewel rock) or Kumta (panduranga international) is ideal than Honnavara.

I guess I am visiting these places in 1st week of October.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:21   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Halt and food facility at Shimoga (prefered stay at jewel rock) or Kumta (panduranga international) is ideal than Honnavara.

I guess I am visiting these places in 1st week of October.

Regards,

Ravi.
How about the bangalore davengere haveri route? its a NH so except for the truckies & bus hows the traffic and the road? if its good i can halt at haveri.

I want to do the max distance on the first day so that the next day it can be lesuire ride into goa.

Still confused
Old 4th September 2009, 15:58   #621
BHPian

B'lore >> Chitradurga >> HUBLI >> Ankola >> KRWR >> GOA

I travelled thrice to Goa last month and took all the possible routes. The above one is the best.

Bangalore >> Tumkur- Bad roads
Tumkur >> Chitradurga- Fly
Chitradurga >> Hubli - Slow down
Hubli >> Goa- Cruise... two lane but in good condition.

The KM also sums up to the same around 700km.

On the last trip we came back via Shimoga, avoid this strech really bad. but the good thing is you get to see Gokarna and Jog on the way!
Old 4th September 2009, 17:43   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
I travelled thrice to Goa last month and took all the possible routes. The above one is the best.

Bangalore >> Tumkur- Bad roads
Tumkur >> Chitradurga- Fly
Chitradurga >> Hubli - Slow down
Hubli >> Goa- Cruise... two lane but in good condition.

The KM also sums up to the same around 700km.

On the last trip we came back via Shimoga, avoid this strech really bad. but the good thing is you get to see Gokarna and Jog on the way!
SamuraiJack, I am planning to take Shimoga->Jog falls->Honavar route.
Is this route bad enough to skip jog falls for the time being..or is it bad but not the best.

Regards,
Old 4th September 2009, 18:15   #623
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
On the last trip? By this do you mean on the return journey? Or your last trip you did to Goa before this. It must be really pouring out there for the Shimoga roads to have gone bad so soon.
Old 4th September 2009, 19:03   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
SamuraiJack, I am planning to take Shimoga->Jog falls->Honavar route.
Is this route bad enough to skip jog falls for the time being..or is it bad but not the best.

Regards,
Hey... avoid the shimoga road, hit Hubli and divert you will enjoy the ride.
Old 4th September 2009, 19:07   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
On the last trip? By this do you mean on the return journey? Or your last trip you did to Goa before this. It must be really pouring out there for the Shimoga roads to have gone bad so soon.

I meant- on my way back from Goa the last time I visited, not heavy but drizzling, probably cause we were early in the day here. We were at Jog at about 8 am or maybe a lil early. We left Goa at around 1 AM and reached KRWR while it was still dark, I handed the wheel to my freind and the next thing I know is he is asking around for Jog falls!!!! I'm like what the hell are you upto? dude says I thought we will brush in front of Jog , nut case that he is. he was seeing Jog for the first time.
Old 4th September 2009, 22:38   #626
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

SamuraiJack, I would like to know the road conditions on the Shimoga route. Is it that bad? Or is it because its a two-laned highway all the way? I frequent this route and I just returned from that direction a few months back and the roads were brilliant. Also, I find this to be better than the other routes and definitely more scenic.
Old 5th September 2009, 08:41   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I travelled thrice to Goa last month and took all the possible routes.
Which were the other three?
Old 5th September 2009, 22:48   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
SamuraiJack, I would like to know the road conditions on the Shimoga route. Is it that bad? Or is it because its a two-laned highway all the way? I frequent this route and I just returned from that direction a few months back and the roads were brilliant. Also, I find this to be better than the other routes and definitely more scenic.
So who would be having the latest low down on the conditions of the road. I will be traveling during the day since its a bike so would have to consider the time any of the routes take. Will be halting for the night so want to cover as much distance as possible in the first day.
Old 6th September 2009, 14:01   #629
Senior - BHPian

Possible bad stretches in Shimoga route: 10km near bhadrvati, 15km around Mavinagundi. 30km in NH17 between honnavar and Karwar. But doable in any car not too bad like last year.

I still prefer Shimoga route If one is not bothered about travel time. Only drawback in Shimoga route is one has to pass many town hence sped will cut down and few sudden road humps. Lot of curvy road means you need to be extra careful.

Latest update: Only 2 feet to go for Linganamakki Reservoir to get full. So expect in couple of days water might be released hence JOG will be in full glory.

Ravi.
Old 6th September 2009, 18:52   #630
BHPian

Hi All,
I am also planning to go to Goa from 9/28 to 10/2.
9/26 - Bangalore to Chikmaglur (one day stay)
9/27 – Chikmagalur – Jog falls - stay at Kasarkod or Kumta or Gokarna for just night stay. Please suggest a decent hotel in this are (any other city also fine)
9/28 - <to be finalized> to Goa.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks