Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 12:51   #2686
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take this route.

But if you are heading to North Goa : Hbubli-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa.

If south Goa: Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
Which of these to take to reach Colva? Not sure if that is north or south Goa
Old 10th September 2014, 12:56   #2687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Which of these to take to reach Colva? Not sure if that is north or south Goa
Colva is near Madgaon (South Goa). Take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar road.
Old 10th September 2014, 13:00   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Colva is near Madgaon (South Goa). Take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar road.
Thanks Ampere.. Does the below route sound fine? How are the road conditions?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Do...!2b1!3e0?hl=en
Old 10th September 2014, 13:02   #2689
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.. Does the below route sound fine? How are the road conditions?
Dont go via Mundgod. You wont save much time. Go all the way to Hubli; take the bypass and go on the NH63.

Quote:
would you mind posting the google map link please? when I search, it isn't showing this route, but the one which goes towards Dharwad and then takes a deviation. Sorry for the trouble.
Here is the link:

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2014 at 13:23.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 13:19   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont go via Mundgod. You wont save much time. Go all the way to Hubli; take the bypass and go on the NH63.
would you mind posting the google map link please? when I search, it isn't showing this route, but the one which goes towards Dharwad and then takes a deviation. Sorry for the trouble.
Old 10th September 2014, 16:08   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Did this route over the weekend. Very scenic. The first stretch from Bankapur to Mundgod is very average and there are a couple of small stretches where there are no roads. They are motor-able though. Mundgod to Yellapur is a very beautiful road (a bit narrow) but very very scenic. Very sparse traffic and you can maintain speeds of upto 60-65 kmph. There were other cars driving much faster than that but this i thought was a fairly safe speed. It was about 68 kms from Bankapur to Yellapur. This is about 60-70 kms shorter compared to the Hubli route.
@Shiwik - I'm gonna take your inputs and take this route next week. Mine is an XUV, so no issues on the GC/pot holes part. I know @ampere will be mad as he strongly advises to stay away from this route, but the fact that it is shorter by 60 kms is what is really tempting.

Last edited by luvurride : 10th September 2014 at 16:21.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:38   #2692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@Shiwik - I'm gonna take your inputs and take this route next week. Mine is an XUV, so no issues on the GC/pot holes part. I know @ampere will be mad as he strongly advises to stay away from this route, but the fact that it is shorter by 60 kms is what is really tempting.
No way sir! If you along with family can enjoy the road nothing like it. Just that from a time wise you dont gain anything because road conditions may slow you down. That extra 50km can be covered easily while driving through the 4-lane and NH63. I advise it against to the guys who look at it as an option to save time.
Old 10th September 2014, 19:34   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Go ahead and take this route. I found it very very scenic. The initial 10 kms are average but XUV can manage it with a smile. The stretch from mundgod is terrific - narrow road through dense vegetation (largely teak trees). One word of caution is there is almost no eating options on this stretch. So you may want to plan accordingly. I would also recommend fuel up early on as there is only one fuel station at mundgod but i was not too impressed with its fuel quality (purely visual feedback)

Quote:
No way sir! If you along with family can enjoy the road nothing like it. Just that from a time wise you dont gain anything because road conditions may slow you down. That extra 50km can be covered easily while driving through the 4-lane and NH63. I advise it against to the guys who look at it as an option to save time.
I have not tried the Hubli route and cannot say conclusively if you save time. But yes, the shorter route definately slows you down. You can do between 60-80kmph on this stretch. So you may not save any time but save on a couple of tolls.
Shiwik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 20:41   #2694
BHPian

Quote:

Onward, I'm thinking of taking Hubli-Yellapura-Gokarna and return Murudeshwar-Sagar-Shimoga. Does that sound good?
The route looks OK. If you have time you can also try Haveri -Sirsi -Kumta - Gokarna. But the strech from Haveri to Hangal is bit bad and construction work was in progress a month ago.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:24   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
I know I was just pulling your leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Go ahead and take this route. I found it very very scenic. The initial 10 kms are average but XUV can manage it with a smile. The stretch from mundgod is terrific - narrow road through dense vegetation (largely teak trees). One word of caution is there is almost no eating options on this stretch. So you may want to plan accordingly. I would also recommend fuel up early on as there is only one fuel station at mundgod but i was not too impressed with its fuel quality (purely visual feedback)

I have not tried the Hubli route and cannot say conclusively if you save time. But yes, the shorter route definately slows you down. You can do between 60-80kmph on this stretch. So you may not save any time but save on a couple of tolls.
All points noted! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
The route looks OK. If you have time you can also try Haveri -Sirsi -Kumta - Gokarna. But the strech from Haveri to Hangal is bit bad and construction work was in progress a month ago.
Thanks, but I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Mundgod-Yellapura stretch for the scenery it promises to offer.
Old 11th September 2014, 14:32   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Travelling to North goa over the weekend. How is the shared link route. Reaching Chorla via Khanapur and Jamboti.
https://goo.gl/maps/w1OyJ
Old 11th September 2014, 16:50   #2697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Travelling to North goa over the weekend. How is the shared link route. Reaching Chorla via Khanapur and Jamboti.
https://goo.gl/maps/w1OyJ
Its rough terrain. I think Parag had taken it once. You can surely try. But you lose any break point that you may need, because you bypass Belgaum.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2014 at 16:54.
Old 11th September 2014, 18:26   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its rough terrain. I think Parag had taken it once. You can surely try. But you lose any break point that you may need, because you bypass Belgaum.
What else would be the suggestion? I would be starting around 1pm and would like to reach North Goa by night.
Wanted to avoid Belgaum city traffic.
Old 11th September 2014, 19:04   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
What else would be the suggestion?
Good roads - http://goo.gl/maps/Fn9uV

Have taken it 2-3 times now in last 2 months. But you can't find anything interesting in this route
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 19:16   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Good roads - http://goo.gl/maps/Fn9uV

Have taken it 2-3 times now in last 2 months. But you can't find anything interesting in this route
Sorry forgot to update in my previous post. I do not want to take Yellapur route and i need to reach North Goa.

Most Viewed