Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2010, 22:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Melvyn
Please post details of the route youre taking and the condition of it when you reach Goa if you can or when you're back. It will help me to choose the correct one.
regards
Nigel
Going by views by fellow drivers over here in Goa, I'm inclined to take the NH4 route on both my trips to and from Mumbai. The reason is...

1. Many have said that the NH17 has some bad patches along the route. On the other hand, the NH4 is reportedly in excellent shape.

2. The NH17 is narrower than the NH4 and the absence of a road divider along the NH17 could make the route less enjoyable.

3. We will be traveling in our Alto LXI and our trip from Mumbai to Goa will begin at about 6 am. I reckon we will have heavy oncoming traffic in the form of the afternoon inter-state (Goa-Mumbai) buses and trucks along the route. To these drivers of heavy vehicles, an Alto will command little or no respect. I fear that our off-road manoeuvres to escape an oncoming truck/bus from speeding along the wrong side of the road (while trying to overtake another heavy vehicle) on a divider-less road could make our journey less enjoyable. This situation is less likely to happen along the NH4.

The only disappointment of avoiding the NH17 route is that we would miss some of the more picturesque scenes along the NH17.

Melvyn
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:20   #77

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Goa this week in my Tata Indica Vista. We have planned for a 6 days trip with a halt @ Ganapatiphule/Ratnagiri.

Could any one of you suggest a good plan for covering these 2/3 places with a proper guidance for routing as well?
Old 7th December 2010, 11:54   #78
BHPian

Has anyone been on this route recently? Iam really interested in the Stretch between Nippani and Amboli!

I went from Pune to Goa about a year back and got off the NH4 at Nippani. Upto Nippani, the roads were perfect. Nipani to somewhere near Ajra the road is pathetic! Really slows you down.
Can one avoid taking this route(Nipani-Amboli) to Amboli and get off the NH4 at some place else, to reach Amboli?
Planning a trip from Bombay to Goa next month.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Can one avoid taking this route(Nipani-Amboli) to Amboli and get off the NH4 at some place else, to reach Amboli?
Planning a trip from Bombay to Goa next month.
Yep you can turn off at Gadinglaj-Ajra-amboli
or Belgaum-Amboli
Don't know how good or bad the route is at the moment. Check the other threads too.
Cheers
Old 7th December 2010, 16:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

The Gadhinglaj route is traditionally always in a better condition than the Nippani Ajra route.Though please note that you would need to go below the flyover at Sankeshwar at NH4 and then take a right under the flyover.Though not any vast difference in the two routes.

For Nippani,the landmark is Hotel Satyavati at the top of Tawandi Ghat.Take the road opposite the hotel.

Though if you want a fast route,you could go all the way to Belgaum and take the NH4A via Londa-Ponda-Panjim.Road is good at the moment.You should be able to make it to Goa in 10-12hours depending on your driving style.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:47   #81
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

da & ranjit,
Thanks guys for ur inputs! I will either drive down to North Goa from Blr or Bombay depending on how the plan unfolds.

Yes, will keep track of other threads to know the latest road conditions from Belgaum & Sankleshpur.

Tks,
Varun
Old 16th December 2010, 16:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

NH4 or NH17 .....?

Team, am planning to drive the Mumbai - Goa route in Christmas week. Have heard lots about the NH4 as well as the NH17. While there are many of us here who would swear by the scenic drive and twisties of the NH17, we would mostly be in a hurry to get to Goa so am thinking of NH4 while going to Goa and maybe NH17 on the journey back to Mumbai.

Any suggestions? Is there a vast difference between the two routes?

I've heard that the NH4 is largely dual carriageway with divider while the NH17 is the old two-lane state highway with a divider. Is this true? That would make a significant difference to the traveling time methinks.

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-bomgoa.jpg

Edit : Very high chance of putting the 3 at work here. Which means I am not inclined to handle bad patches of road.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th December 2010 at 16:11.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:27   #83
BHPian

Re: NH4 or NH17 .....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Team, am planning to drive the Mumbai - Goa route in Christmas week. Have heard lots about the NH4 as well as the NH17. While there are many of us here who would swear by the scenic drive and twisties of the NH17, we would mostly be in a hurry to get to Goa so am thinking of NH4 while going to Goa and maybe NH17 on the journey back to Mumbai.

I've heard that the NH4 is largely dual carriageway with divider while the NH17 is the old two-lane state highway with a divider. Is this true? That would make a significant difference to the traveling time methinks.

Edit : Very high chance of putting the 3 at work here. Which means I am not inclined to handle bad patches of road.
I believe you meant NH17 without a divider which is true. NH17 is a two lane carriage way without any divider and the problem with an early morning release from Mumbai would be the hordes of Goa-Mum buses that you would get en-route.
If you go thru NH4, there are a couple of ways of going to Goa from there.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:42   #84
BHPian

I will be travelling to Goa on 23rd DEC and will be taking the NH4. i have traveled on this route before. the roads are very good and wide.but lot of toll plazas.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am more inclined to take the NH4 as of now because I do not want to put the 3 through bad patches, never mind if it was meant for the NH17 and yada yada. I am assuming the NH4 will be safer, faster and better surfaced. Post Kolhapur is where there are several ways to get to Goa, right?
Old 16th December 2010, 16:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I am more inclined to take the NH4 as of now because I do not want to put the 3 through bad patches, never mind if it was meant for the NH17 and yada yada. I am assuming the NH4 will be safer, faster and better surfaced. Post Kolhapur is where there are several ways to get to Goa, right?
Yes any day. NH4 is more safer and faster. I will take the Sankeshwas=Gadhinglag-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-panaji route.

There are other alternatives too.
Old 16th December 2010, 17:20   #87
BHPian

Quote:
FS, there are actually three ways to go thru NH4, one thru Nippani (which I believe still has bad patches), Gandhinglag (which I believe is better) or Belgaum - Londa (Don't know the status of this).

Still nothing can beat the beautiful NH17. I used to leave at 4:00 AM from Mumbai and be there at Panaji for a late lunch at 2:30 PM.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

I'd been to Goa in the last week of October, and used the Anmod ghat route (i.e. via Belgaum).

Check my update here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2126650

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th December 2010 at 18:07.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
FS, there are actually three ways to go thru NH4, one thru Nippani (which I believe still has bad patches), Gandhinglag (which I believe is better) or Belgaum - Londa (Don't know the status of this).
Yes, I've come across quite a few posts claiming #1 normally has come bad patches. Between #2 and #3, let's see which one gets the highest votes

Quote:
Still nothing can beat the beautiful NH17. I used to leave at 4:00 AM from Mumbai and be there at Panaji for a late lunch at 2:30 PM.
I have never experienced it, and have heard so much about it that I'm still half inclined to take it. But two things are dissuading me. First, the possibility of bad patches of road, and second, the stress of always being on the lookout for oncoming traffic. I'd love the excitement of twists and turns on a scenic road, but I don't think I want that excitement to last for 10 hours. Furthermore, I'm not alone in the car and am unsure about the other occupants as of now. Still considering options.
Old 16th December 2010, 19:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: NH4 or NH17 .....?

Quote:

Big difference. NH4 is boring but safe, NH17 keeps you awake, and you enjoy the drive but highly unsafe. My late fathe prefered the NH17 his reason being there were so many little towns coming up ever so often along with people to see.

Tolls on the NH4 don't add up at all to your cost since you save on fuel consumtion as well as on your vehicle maintanence cost.

Take the NH 17 only if you are an experienced driver on Indian Highways. Or else stick to he NH4 you will get the senic part down any of the Ghats.

On the way back you could try the Phonda ghat if you wish to drive a little bit more on the NH17. Or Maybe turn off on to the Gaganbawada ghat. You still have a week to decide.
Have fun and write back about the road conditions which ever way you go

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks