Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 15:35   #121
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
My mistake. SAHIR.KITTUR was right here. LOL. Brain freeze!
Thanks SAHIR.KITTUR. Do update us soon! I gather that you're travelling down via Dabolim (International flight). And that must be one hell of a drive. I hope that Belgaum starts international flights soon! Anyways, thank you!

Mate,
I will fly Doha ( Qatar ) - Goa. I plan to take this route only because I will pass tiskar by 0500 hrs. Its a real pain after that because of the minning traffic over there. All the four routes between from Belgaum lead to a Heaven called Goa, so No hell of a drive !
Cheers.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:20   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Thank you so much suniladhiya for your reply. One more user (SAHIR.KITTUR) on another thread will update the status of NH4A route by tomorrow. Still if you can divulge details of the Belgaum-Sawantwadi route, it would be helpful - not just for me but for a lot of us. Ultimately what one needs is a safe ride, however long it takes to reach the final destination - which brings me to yet another question. How much more longer does it take by the Belgaum-Sawantwadi route to reach Margao as compared to the NH-4A route?

Anyways, lets hope for the best! And will definitely update you guys once I'm on my way! Thanks once again!
Incidentally, the Belgaum-Sawantwadi route was recommended to me by none other than Sahir.Kittur in May, 2011. As you approach the first Belgaum flyover, go under this flyover. Then go straight (if you turn left after emerging from under the flyover you will go into Belgaum city so avoid that) - after about 6 kms you will join the Belgaum-Amboli state highway - you will completely bypass Belgaum City, no traffic, no signals, nothing - just a few unmarked speed breakers. From the point of joining the SH to Hotel International at Amboli is about 60 kms. Decent 2-lane road with not much truck/bus traffic. Amboli-Sawantwadi is 30 kms including the Amboli Ghat. In May, the last 15 kms after the end of the ghat and into Sawantwadi was butter smooth tarmac. From Sawantwadi to Mapusa you are on NH 17 for about 50 kms - excellent road except maybe a few metres near the Goa border where road widening was going on. Take the Mapusa bypass to Panaji and straight down to Madgaon.

I of course travelled only upto Panaji, and the time from Belgaum was 3 1/2 hours. (I am a very sedate driver age 53!!!! ) Again, do budget for some rough patches after the monsoon.

As regards the time difference between the two routes, last December I went by Anmod-Mollem and it took me no less than 5 hrs with roads blocked by mining trucks near Ponda, potholed NH4A and what have you (never again)

Once again, have a great trip
Old 9th August 2011, 08:23   #123
BHPian

Started @ 0400 hrs from Dabolim airport & reached Belgaum @ 0700 hrs.
Route :- Dabolim - Ponda ( avoid the bypass, drive through the city ) -Tisk - Molem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum
Vehicle :- Innova, Total distance 155km.
Considerable rough patches between Anmod & Khanapur.
Try to avoid in a small car, unless you dont have any other option.
No minning traffic, Thanks to the monsoon.
IMO this route is in much better shape considering the heavy rainfall & comparing the same to yester years.
Cheers.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:10   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
No minning traffic, Thanks to the monsoon.
I guess more to do with the SC ban on mining in Bellary mines than with the monsoons.Such a sad story with the NH4A,it hardly stays in shape for more than a couple of weeks or months!
Old 10th August 2011, 13:21   #125
BHPian

Thank you suniladhiya sir for the detailed instructions on Belgaum-Sawantwadi route. Will decide in sometime which route to take accordingly and update the status when I'm back! Mining trucks are a big menace but as ranjitp1 mentioned, there's a ban on in Karnataka by the SC! But I believe the ban has been partially lifted according to ET?? Conflicting reports! Anyhow even if there is any mining traffic (God forbid!), since I'm driving down on 15th Aug which is a holiday, I doubt if mining traffic will be much! There may be the usual holiday rush but then again those opting for a more scenic drive would rather take the Amboli ghat. So lets see!

Thanks SAHIR.KITTUR for that update. Sorry for the late reply. I also got an update from a distant relative who passed that NH-4A route to come down to Pune and he said it is not all that bad at the moment! So might just take it. In any case whatever the route, shall update soon!

Thanks to all of you for your timely inputs on the various routes! Really really appreciate it!
Old 13th August 2011, 18:23   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, I will be travelling to South Goa (around Varca) from Mumbai around 2 weeks from now. Would appreciate current feedback on which of the following route is the best for a couple and a small kid in a sedan. Priority is a smooth drive:

1. NH4 to Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Kasarde - NH17 to Goa
2. NH4 to Nipani - Uttur - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH17
3. NH4 to Nipani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH 17
4. NH4 to Belgaum - NH 4A to Khanapur - SH 30 to Anmod - NH4A to Molem - local road thru Kulem towards Curchorem etc (Suggested by Google maps)
5. NH 4 to Belgaum - NH 4A via Anmod to Ponda - NH 17 B to Verna - NH 17 towards Madgaon and then to Varca.

Does the famous Konduskar Petrol pump / Mc DS at Kolhapur fall on all these routes?

Also, would a GPS map be useful. If so which one?

Garmin City Navigator?
Map my India for Garmin?
Navfree India for iPad?
sygic India for iPad?

Finally, for a day trip at sensible speeds (120 on expressway, max 90-100 elsewhere), and a few halts, when should I leave from Central Bombay?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hayek.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:16   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Hi, I will be travelling to South Goa (around Varca) from Mumbai around 2 weeks from now. Would appreciate current feedback on which of the following route is the best for a couple and a small kid in a sedan. Priority is a smooth drive:

1. NH4 to Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Kasarde - NH17 to Goa
2. NH4 to Nipani - Uttur - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH17
3. NH4 to Nipani - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - NH 17
4. NH4 to Belgaum - NH 4A to Khanapur - SH 30 to Anmod - NH4A to Molem - local road thru Kulem towards Curchorem etc (Suggested by Google maps)
5. NH 4 to Belgaum - NH 4A via Anmod to Ponda - NH 17 B to Verna - NH 17 towards Madgaon and then to Varca.

Does the famous Konduskar Petrol pump / Mc DS at Kolhapur fall on all these routes?

Also, would a GPS map be useful. If so which one?

Garmin City Navigator?
Map my India for Garmin?
Navfree India for iPad?
sygic India for iPad?

Finally, for a day trip at sensible speeds (120 on expressway, max 90-100 elsewhere), and a few halts, when should I leave from Central Bombay?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hayek.

Travelled Bombay-Goa on Expressway-NH4 till Belgaum and NH4A on 15th. NH4 right upto Belgaum was a dream stretch but it was a HORRIBLE or rather SUICIDAL ride on the NH4A from Belgaum to Goa! The place was pockmarked with more craters than the moon - some of them the size of an entire room. Please AVOID any route via NH4A at all costs and take it only if you want to break your back/torture someone/want an offroading experience!! Khanapur-Anmod is THE WORST stretch of highway i have ever come across in my entire life. Again I repeat - PLEASE AVOID!! Took me 3 hours more than usual just to negotiate those roads and ghats that day due to heavy rain and fog as well apart from the craters!
Thank God there weren't any mining trucks on that stretch otherwise it would have been like going to hell and back!

McD's in Kolhapur is on the right side when heading towards south. So you have to take an underpass from left to right to get back on the other side of the highway.

If you need GPS I suggest using the mapmyindia one since its the closest one can come to being accurate!

Any other route other than NH-4A should take you 10 hours to Goa!
More updates on the return trip to Mumbai later (thinking of taking the Amboli route back)!
thebluez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 14:46   #128

Any updates on the Nipani-Amboli-savantadi road condition.Also any information on gagan bavda road condition?will be driving on wednesday so would appreciate a quick reply
Old 29th August 2011, 15:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydesylva View Post
Any updates on the Nipani-Amboli-savantadi road condition.Also any information on gagan bavda road condition?will be driving on wednesday so would appreciate a quick reply
Try this link here. You will get all the answers you want

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-goa-27.html
Old 31st August 2011, 02:38   #130
BHPian

I drove down during the independence weekend..Nipani - amboli - sawantwadi route is quite clean .. only issue is that amboli ghats has experienced some landslides which just might slow you down for a bit. However, roads are nice and scenic.
Old 6th September 2011, 20:12   #131

Okay, just got back from Goa.While going on the 31st -Took the NH4 from Mumbai to Nipani then past Nipani to Sankeshwar.Turn off at Sankeshwar onto the road to Amboli and then Sawant wadi and then onto Varca.Total driving time going was 12 hours and return was 14hrs!!We stopped for maybe an hour total for lunch.Longest time I have ever experienced.Road out of Mumbai was bad lots of broken surfaces till Palm Beach road.Then some traffic all the way on NH4 thanks to long weekend.After turn off from Sankeshwar lots of rough pactches but nothing really deep except for a couple of places which you need to watch out for all the way to Sawant wadi.You cannot average more than 40 kms/hr for this section.On the return journey had a landslide at Amboli ghat which held us up for about an hour.Then next delay was horrendous traffic on the pune by pass section and most of the expressway and also entering into Chembur around 10pm on the 4th. Started from Varca at 0830 hours reached home to Bandra at 2230 hrs really tired!!
Old 16th November 2011, 01:40   #132
BHPian

Any updates on the Belgaum Sawantwadi section. Am planning to go to Goa at the end of the month from Pune.
Also will it be better to turn towards Sawantwadi from Tavandi on NH 17, or go till Belgaum and then go via Amboli Sawantvadi?
Old 16th November 2011, 09:57   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Any updates on the Belgaum Sawantwadi section. Am planning to go to Goa at the end of the month from Pune.
?
Yep, read here onwards
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-goa-37.html
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 12:07   #134
BHPian

Guys, I need to visit Kankavli in mid Dec. How is the present state of NH17 between Mapusa and Kankavli? Whether to drive or take a bus depends on this!
Old 21st November 2011, 17:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Guys, I need to visit Kankavli in mid Dec. How is the present state of NH17 between Mapusa and Kankavli? Whether to drive or take a bus depends on this!
Except for Patradevi-Banda-Sawantwadi section, i.e. approx 14 kms, road is generally good. Actually, between Patradevi and Banda (5 km) it is bad as widening/ four-laning is going on and Banda-Sawantwadi (9kms) it is ok. Rest of the road after Sawantwadi upto Kanakavali is fine.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks