Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 06:12   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone done the Mumbai Goa trip via Belgaum, Khanpur , Molem , Ponda , Panjim route?

can someone indicate present state of roads on this route?

Thanks!

Shashi

Go via the belgaum piranwadi jamboti chorla sanquelim route to panjim.Its the best route at the moment into Goa.The Mollem ghats are not in the best of shapes.There are some ba sections at the start of the chorla road but nothing to worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 13:58   #257
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

I agree with ranjitp1. I did Pune-Belgaon-Jamboti-Chorla-South Goa in December. Roads are good from Belgaon to Goa except for a few kilometers in Chorla ghat. I too have heard that Molem ghat section is avoidable.

Last edited by Musaafir : 29th January 2014 at 14:01.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:44   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
I agree with ranjitp1. I did Pune-Belgaon-Jamboti-Chorla-South Goa in December. Roads are good from Belgaon to Goa except for a few kilometers in Chorla ghat. .
+1 there. I came via Chorla ghat to Goa day before yesterday.

The Sawantwadi turn (Via Tawandi) from NH4 will mean one will ride about 180 Kms in these roads till Goa (Vasco Da Gama in my case). The traffic is hectic in this route with about 90 Kms up to sawantwadi with decent to not so good roads and from Sawantwadi it is a good 90 Kms heavy traffic road ( NH17 joins here too) via Mapusa-Panjim to Vasco.

But when one travels via Belgaum- a good 50 Kms more is covered on NH4 ( peaceful / stressless / faster) and about 134 Kms from Belgaum to Goa via Chorla route. The road is pretty good up to Goa border and then I think about 10-15 Kms of not good roads. Traffic is very lean ( I came across less than 10 vehicles passing me by in this stretch, more so local vehicles)

Well the advantage of Sawantwadi route is that it passes through Mapusa-Panjim and is useful for people travelling to Calangute-Baga side and the road is wide and easy for a tourist coming into Goa. The Chorla ghat route is little tricky while entering into Goa at Sanquelim and might require some asking around and could be frustrating to tourists (more so in the night time).

But personally I find Chorla route much better / peaceful/stressless than Sawantwadi route. (I have mentioned the same opinion earlier in this forum while debating between Sawantwadi and Chorla route options).

But yes I am keen to know the Khanapur-Ponda route condition. If anyone has done that, please share your experience.

A couple of snaps on Chorla route attached
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-dscn0078.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-dscn0096.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-dscn0099.jpg  

ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:22   #259

Hi. I am visiting Goa later this week (Aug 15-17), from Bombay. I have flight tickets both ways, but have been thinking of doing Bom-Goa-Bom by road. Here's what I have in mind -

14th night (8pm) - Leave Bombay and take Pune Expressway - Belgaum - Chorla - Cansaulim.
18th morning - Leave Goa and take the same route back to Bombay.

I need advise on -
1. Is the Chorla route better than Sawantwadi and Molem?
2. Is the route night-driving-friendly? road conditions, signs, etc.
3. How long would it take each way?

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:42   #260

Just drove down from Pune (17th Aug 2014). I took the Amboli ghat route rather than go to Belgaum. The route was excellent, the ghat roads are unmarred by the rains. The Amboli route is much more scenic with a lot of waterfalls.
The only minor drawback was that there was a jam beyond Amboli because of tourists who had come to visit the waterfalls. However this was a Sunday evening and the end of a long weekend.
Anyways I was not really delayed and most probably there will be no jam now.
Cheers have a nice trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-amboli.jpg  

Lava N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:06   #261

Hello All..
I drove down to Goa this tuesday morning and took the Mumbai-Pune-Nippani-Ajra-Amboli route. It's smooth sailing till Ajra but beyond that, the road conditions deteriorated a bit. Amboli ghat is not in the best shape now.... at least not to a newbie like me. The main problem was the dense fog and the rains making it was a bit difficult for me to negotiate my waggie through the potholes. However, once the ghat ends, the roads are good again.

Last edited by S.Marine : 28th August 2014 at 11:30.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:30   #262
BHPian

Dear Team BHP friends,

Yet another planned drive from Ahmedabad to Goa. The planned drive is

October 2nd : Ahmedabad to Kolhapur with night halt
October 3rd : Kolhapur to Panjim

October 6th : Panjim to Ahmedabad via Ratnagiri, Chiplun

I have driven to Goa the Chiplun route in 1999, the situation would have changed significantly now.

Both I and my wife drive, and we drive the HV Kumar style (thanks to HV) with minimum breaks and in car catering. We have done Ahmedabad to Delhi several times, so a 15 to 20 hour drive is not new to us.

Recently I had driven to Matheran and back non stop, so I am familiar with the road conditions till Thane.

Please advice on road conditions beyond Thane to Pune, Kolhapur, Goa and on the Konkan route.

I would also request advice on stay options in Kolhapur. From this thread, the Amboli ghat section seems to be very scenic, so I want to see this in the early morning.

Look forward to your advice.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:36   #263
BHPian

Has anyone used NH 17 in September ? I would like to know what is the road condition. Last October I went to goa and the road was in a miserable state. Is it the same this year ? Will appreciate you inputs as planning a drive on dassera weekend.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:59   #264
Senior - BHPian

Is this the best road to Mumbai from Colva?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Co...!2i4!3i1?hl=en

Please suggest any alternatives if the road conditions are good and the distance is shorter. Thanks!!
Old 10th September 2014, 20:50   #265
BHPian

Dass,

The better route is via Pune, Kohlapur, Amboli ghat, Colva. This will take you less time since it is the golden quadrilateral and better maintained. NH17 is two lane with lots of towns and villages with numerous speedbreakers.
Old 11th September 2014, 06:13   #266
BHPian

@sajiNsalin, I understand that the roads due to the monsoon between Pune and Satara is in terrible state. Heard from one of my friends though I have not traveled on that section recently. I did it in May and it was ok.
Old 11th September 2014, 07:32   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Roads between Pune & Satara is not in great shape. Quite a few gravel filled sections diversions, but doable in a car. This is the current update (as of last week).

Amboli ghat was not in great shape. This is pre-monsoon update, I'm expecting the situation not to be any better as of now.

The best option to cross the ghats to Goa is via Belgaum via the Chorla ghat. Had been on this route just before the monsoons began. The roads were recently put, and in pristine condition. There was a section (10-20 kms) at the base ahead of Chorla ghat which had gravel-ish condition; this might have detiorated. But still I would suggest taking this route over the Amboli ghat.

P.s. Quite scenic route via the heavy forest covers. But one might not get to see the waterfalls as in Amboli ghat.
Old 11th September 2014, 07:38   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Both I and my wife drive, and we drive the HV Kumar style (thanks to HV) with minimum breaks and in car catering.
Well I used to tell him, thats half the fun gone, with no hotels to look forward to !

Quote:
Please advice on road conditions beyond Thane to Pune, Kolhapur, Goa and on the Konkan route.
AMD- Bombay bypass via Ghodbunder, Pune bypass on NH4, Satara - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Goa.

(Take the Chorla Ghat road. Its the best these days and a treat to drive)

Quote:
I would also request advice on stay options in Kolhapur. From this thread, the Amboli ghat section seems to be very scenic, so I want to see this in the early morning.
Stay options in Kolhapur : Opal, Raysons and Pearl.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 23:18   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Has anyone used NH 17 in September ? I would like to know what is the road condition. Last October I went to goa and the road was in a miserable state. Is it the same this year ? Will appreciate you inputs as planning a drive on dassera weekend.
I drove from Goa (Calangute) to Mumbai via NH17 on the 1st of September. The main problem was the road widening work that's going on in some areas in the stretch from Panvel to Mangaon. And a little bad patch near Sangameshwar. The rest of the highway was in excellent condition throughout. Although can't comment on the present condition as there have been some heavy rains in the Konkan region after that.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:40   #270

I drove from Goa to Pune in end August 14. As I went to Harihareshwar I used the Goa Mumbai highway.
The condition of the road from Goa to Mahad was excellent. Low traffic density and quite scenic.
The only problem was the speed breakers. They are quite irritating and slow you down repeatedly.
See attached Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-no-traffic.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-road-condition-1.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-road-condition-2.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-road-condition-3.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-rumblers-1.jpg  

Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries-rumblers-2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks