Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 12:43   #181
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

I have planned a trip to Goa in May. Plan to drive down to Mumbai, spend a day there and then start early morning from Mumbai.
  1. How much time does it take to reach Raigad fort near Mahad from Mumbai? The Raigad fort ropeway service starts at 8.00 am and so I shall plan my departure from Mumbai accordingly.
  2. Any other significant spots on the way to Goa that I should visit?
Please share your inputs and suggestions to help me plan the trip.

Regards
Sandy
Old 25th February 2013, 07:20   #182
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I do Mumbai Goa... or Vice-Verse fairly regularly,as I have homes in both places.

The thing is that I have always travelled the Mumbai Pune NH4 route to Siolim. Which by the way in my opinion is doable best via Sankleshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi for the best drive.

This time I want to do the NH 17 route. So I need inputs on route conditions, stopovers, things to watch out for and the shortest best route from Mumbai to the NH 17.

Will be driving my XUV with Wife and 8 month old twins on the morning of the 27th of Feb 2013. Take-off time is 4.30 am.

Please give any and all kinds of advice as I want to drive safe and have fun.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:31   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hi Guys,

I do Mumbai Goa... or Vice-Verse fairly regularly,as I have homes in both places.

The thing is that I have always travelled the Mumbai Pune NH4 route to Siolim. Which by the way in my opinion is doable best via Sankleshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi for the best drive.

This time I want to do the NH 17 route. So I need inputs on route conditions, stopovers, things to watch out for and the shortest best route from Mumbai to the NH 17.

Will be driving my XUV with Wife and 8 month old twins on the morning of the 27th of Feb 2013. Take-off time is 4.30 am.

Please give any and all kinds of advice as I want to drive safe and have fun.
Since your take-off time is 4.30AM, I don't think you will face any traffic till you hit NH-17 at Panvel. You can very well take Vashi - Kharghar - Kalamboli route. Panvel city flyover is a boon.

Once on NH-17, road around Pen is not that great, with patchwork being carried out constantly. All rough and bumpy road surface. Try to cross Mangaon as soon as possible, since you will get heavy traffic in that area.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:03   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just a request - could you please share your NH17 experience details tomorrow? Am in exactly the same situation - done the Pune-NH4-Goa route several times, but am interested in doing the NH17 route.

People,
Tamhini ghat is not in great shape I believe. Is there any other alternative to join NH17 from Pune, down south.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:13   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just a request - could you please share your NH17 experience details tomorrow? Am in exactly the same situation - done the Pune-NH4-Goa route several times, but am interested in doing the NH17 route.

People,
Tamhini ghat is not in great shape I believe. Is there any other alternative to join NH17 from Pune, down south.
Hi ninjatalli

You can take
1) Bhor - Varandha Ghat to join Mahad on NH17
2) Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur ghat to join Poladpur on NH17
3) Umbraj - Patan - Kumbharli Ghat to join Chiplun
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:14   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tamhini Ghat road has been repaired an in excellent condition now
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:16   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Go down the NH4 to Shindewadi, then head along the Bhor Ghat. It joins the 17 a bit south of Mahad. A colleague reports that the Bhor Ghat was in good condition 2 weeks ago.

Cheers,
Rahul

EDIT: Dodge Viper has already mentioned this.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:20   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Tamhini Ghat road has been repaired an in excellent condition now
Thank you HVK! That is great news! How recent is this update (of the improvement)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hi ninjatalli

You can take
1) Bhor - Varandha Ghat to join Mahad on NH17
2) Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur ghat to join Poladpur on NH17
3) Umbraj - Patan - Kumbharli Ghat to join Chiplun
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Go down the NH4 to Shindewadi, then head along the Bhor Ghat. It joins the 17 a bit south of Mahad. A colleague reports that the Bhor Ghat was in good condition 2 weeks ago.

Cheers,
Rahul
Thank you guys! Now I'm really spoilt for choice!

I guess I'm a bit inclined to try out the Bhor Ghat route as I have done the Tamini ghat route several times over the last few years! @voodoochild, when your friend states "good condition", does he mean w.r.t bikes or a car?
Old 26th February 2013, 14:25   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you HVK! That is great news! How recent is this update (of the improvement)?

We had friends going there over the last weekend. It has been repaired last month
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:28   #190
BHPian

Quote:
@voodoochild, when your friend states "good condition", does he mean w.r.t bikes or a car?
Ah, you got me!
He was on a Bullet but says it is a smooth road for any vehicle. And hardly any traffic at all. He says his return via Bhor was a much better experience than the onward trip via Tamhini. I personally haven't been on the Bhor Ghat, but I'm inclined to believe anything is better than Tamhini.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:33   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ah, you got me!
He was on a Bullet but says it is a smooth road for any vehicle. And hardly any traffic at all. He says his return via Bhor was a much better experience than the onward trip via Tamhini. I personally haven't been on the Bhor Ghat, but I'm inclined to believe anything is better than Tamhini.
lol - trust a biker to understand the dynamics of another!

Man, this is going down to the wire. I have done Tamini ghat so many times, that I almost know every twist & turn! And the lady is going to be of no use on this decision - she's probably going to sleep throughout the drive. The Bhor option looks so inviting, but one can't really ignore HVK's advice, can one!
Old 26th February 2013, 18:13   #192
BHPian

I am told Kashedi Ghat is being widened and lot of work going on there. Is it true?

Otherwise NH17 (Now 66) is nice road to drive during day time. During nights it is nightmare as huge number of Buses plying between Mumbai and Goa are occupying the tarmac and they drive bit too rash.

Not very fast road otherwise as lot of twists and turns and only two lanes. Your average speed drops down, but it's nice experience. After Kharepatan the road geometry and quality improves and you can speed up a little. To reach Goa via Tamhini and Mumbai-Goa road should take 12 hrs in my estimate. (At my speed)
Old 27th February 2013, 10:01   #193
Senior - BHPian

Real beauty of NH17 starts from Mahad toward Goa!
I suggest, go on NH4 till umbraj, turn right and join NH17 at chiplun via patan, kumbharli ghat and enjoy the scenery after chiplun toward Goa!
The varandha ghat which join bhor to mahad is scenic compared to Tamhini but not worth to take it as via point to travel toward another destination.
Old 27th February 2013, 10:09   #194
BHPian

Quote:

People,
Hi Ninjatalli,

did not travel today, postponed to tomorrow. Still a toss up between the NH4 and NH17. Have posted for further advice on the Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Goa thread,since I got only a single response on this one.

Will definitely give inputs on the NH17 route, in case I do it tomorrow.

Cheers.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:47   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
To reach Goa via Tamhini and Mumbai-Goa road should take 12 hrs in my estimate. (At my speed)
Interesting to hear that. It doesn't take me more than 8 hours on the NH4 - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi route to reach Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Real beauty of NH17 starts from Mahad toward Goa!
I suggest, go on NH4 till umbraj, turn right and join NH17 at chiplun via patan, kumbharli ghat and enjoy the scenery after chiplun toward Goa!
The varandha ghat which join bhor to mahad is scenic compared to Tamhini but not worth to take it as via point to travel toward another destination.
Sirji,
Don't make it worse for me Already I'm kaan-fused by the two options!

Quote:
Will definitely give inputs on the NH17 route, in case I do it tomorrow.
Cheers.
Thanks boss! Appreciate it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks