Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2013, 19:11   #211
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Gentlemen,

the date is not final but there will be a Toll on all vehicles entering Goa.

The toll booth on the Sawantwadi - Mapusa stretch is already half up and the board with the rates is definitely right up! I read it while passing and noted a Sum of Rs 400 for a Car, sorry did not note the Bike entry fee. I am sure that all the other toll booths are also being readied at other entry points to Goa.

So unless some miracle takes place please be prepared to shell out money at the entry points to Goa, in the very near future. There is opposition to the idea so it may be put on hold, but as I said, the potential Toll point already exists!

Disclaimer: The Toll rates may be subject to change and so may the whole concept.

Cheers
Tigger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 11:25   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
My Summation: If you want to Cruise take the NH4 route, but if you want to drive, then definitely take the NH17 one! The time taken on both routes is the same.The NH17 route is 40 to 50 Kms shorter, more scenic and about Rs 535 lighter on the pocket, in terms of Tolls. Economically speaking I saved a Total of about Rs 750 on this route, which includes the Tolls and 4 Litres of Diesel.

Economics aside, I loved the drive. So, I for one, am going to stick with the NH 17 route for the future, till circumstances change again!
Thanks Tigger for the update!
The only problem in NH4 is the toll. Specially the one at Khed Shivapur and further Anewadi toll at Satara. They are the worst toll plazas in this world. Both toll plazas are total chaos in peak hours. Horribly mismanaged and time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Gentlemen,

the date is not final but there will be a Toll on all vehicles entering Goa.

The toll booth on the Sawantwadi - Mapusa stretch is already half up and the board with the rates is definitely right up! I read it while passing and noted a Sum of Rs 400 for a Car, sorry did not note the Bike entry fee. I am sure that all the other toll booths are also being readied at other entry points to Goa.

Cheers
What on earth is this? Tourism tax kind of. That too 400!
Old 11th March 2013, 14:22   #213
BHPian

Thanks Tigger for a wonderful and elaborate update on NH4 and NH17!. I'm off to Goa tomorrow morning on the NH17 route. Haven't done this route before (The Mumbai-Goa segment; have done Karwar-Mangalore-Kozhikode of the same highway - and that segment is terrible!).

With regards to the toll at Goa, I think they had earlier mentioned 250 per car and not 400. Nevertheless even if it is 400 I wouldn't mind paying considering the butter-smooth quality of most, if not all, of Goa's roads! Even some of the inner village roads are amazing! (Apparently their coffers are getting empty thanks to the current ban on mining + the lowered GST on fuel in the state. Guess that's what's forced them to collect a toll tax at the entry points). Atleast they will put the toll money to some use unlike Maharashtra toll nakas who have looted the public for ages and have hardly maintained the roads for which they collect toll.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:41   #214
BHPian

Drove down NH17 from Mumbai to Margao yesterday. Except for a really bad stretch in Pen town near Panvel, most of the highway is in really good condition as Tigger pointed out. The ride was a bit of a challenge with the multiple ghats one after the other but really enjoyable and very scenic. Mostly taking the same route on my way back! The toll booth for entry into Goa has been set up at Dhargal excise checkpost in Pernem on NH17 and at other entrypoints as well (check today's Heraldo paper at www.oheraldo.in for the latest update) and its going to be 250 per car and not 400 as Tigger mentioned. Thank you all very much for the updates!
Old 10th April 2013, 14:11   #215
BHPian

Hi normally when I go to Goa stay in North Goa and therefore take the turn-off at Sankeshwar. This time will stay at South Goa. Was therefore wondering if I should take continue on NH4 till Belgaum and then take the Chorla Ghat road. Thanks in advance
Old 10th April 2013, 15:10   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Hi normally when I go to Goa stay in North Goa and therefore take the turn-off at Sankeshwar. This time will stay at South Goa. Was therefore wondering if I should take continue on NH4 till Belgaum and then take the Chorla Ghat road. Thanks in advance
Chorla route is good now
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:23   #217
BHPian

Thanks Ranjitp for the suggestion. Took the Chorla Ghat route on my trip to Goa on April 12. The road was fantastic. There was only about a 100 meter stretch where work was still in progress. Of course the road from the NH4 turn-off till Piranwadi, where the road bifurcates, was very busy. Extremely scenic road. On the way back as the group wanted to visit North Goa took the standard Sawantwadi-Amboli Ghat-Sankeshwar road. Road surface was good, but not as good as the Chorla Ghat road.

Traffic was incredibly heavy after Kolhapur and this was at 9.30 at night. Even the expressway into Mumbai was very crowded. By the way on the way out, saw a few bikes on the expressway just after the start.
Old 19th April 2013, 19:16   #218
BHPian

Goa Drive Advice,

Guys doing a trip to Morjim, this Wednesday. I will be in the Vento. Any suggestions. would appreciate if someone could if someone could suggest a good route. I would prefer the NH4 routes.

Thanks in advance

Sid
Old 20th April 2013, 18:16   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Goa Drive Advice,

Guys doing a trip to Morjim, this Wednesday. I will be in the Vento. Any suggestions. would appreciate if someone could if someone could suggest a good route. I would prefer the NH4 routes.
- Nippani-Ajra-Amboli is easier option.
- The other one is drive till Belgaum and from their take the road to Jamboti.
- This is the route through Chorla ghats. (the best ghat road to Goa as of today).
- It should take you to Morjim via Mapusa.
- The only hitch: Need to mark the exact location where you exit NH4 at Belgaum.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2013 at 18:17.
Old 20th April 2013, 18:28   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Nippani-Ajra-Amboli is easier option.
- The other one is drive till Belgaum and from their take the road to Jamboti.
- This is the route through Chorla ghats. (the best ghat road to Goa as of today).
- It should take you to Morjim via Mapusa.
- The only hitch: Need to mark the exact location where you exit NH4 at Belgaum.
Thanks for the route. What is the condition of the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli ghat section?

Sid
Old 20th April 2013, 18:34   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the route. What is the condition of the Nippani-Ajra-Amboli ghat section?

Sid
Its pretty decent. Its the most frequented route to Goa for people coming from Pune side. Only in the current times, Chorla has come out as an option because of its newly laid tarmac and some breathtaking views.

Maybe you can try one while going and the other while coming.
Old 20th April 2013, 18:51   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sid
Do not exit the highway at Nipani. Rather carry on till Sankeshwar and then get off the NH4 there. Carry on till Gandhinglaj and then onto Ajra, etc. The road condition is better than from Nipani.

Otherwise you can try Chorla ghats via Belgaum and let us know how it is.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 19:02   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sid
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do not exit the highway at Nipani. Rather carry on till Sankeshwar and then get off the NH4 there. Carry on till Gandhinglaj and then onto Ajra, etc. The road condition is better than from Nipani.

Otherwise you can try Chorla ghats via Belgaum and let us know how it is.
Thanks for correcting Akshay. And Sid sorry for the slip. I did mean the route via Gadhinglaj for which the exit is at Sankeshwar and not Nippani.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 16:39   #224
BHPian

Bombay to goa in a campervan.

Hello everyone,

I have been lucky enough to get hold of a campervan built on the chassis of a Toyota Hilux 4x4 for a trip from Bombay to Goa and back. I am going to set eyes on this vehicle tomorrow afternoon when I fly from Delhi to Bombay to pick up the vehicle. I will post pictures of the van then.

What I need till such time is advice on the best route to take and also on possible stopping/parking places where my friend,who would be be accompanying me and I could spend the night. We plan to leave Bombay in late afternoon and stop outside of Bombay(Panvel etc) before it gets too late. Don't see a point in night driving in an unfamiliar vehicle on an unfamiliar road. And then make a dash for Goa early morning.

I would post pictures as soon as I get the car and will also post pictures enroute.

Till such time all suggestions are welcome.

I would love to feature this thread in the 4x4 forum also but don't know if I can do it with any off roading involved? Let me get to Goa first and then let's see what can be done around the beaches.

dyer_made
Old 19th May 2013, 16:58   #225
BHPian

Re: Bombay to goa in a campervan.

It will be a good experience dyer_made. I would suggest you to take NH17 as it is more beautiful than NH4. You will have many places to stay overnite in a natural surroundings.

Enjoy the trip and do post lot of pictures.

Happy camping!
Jayant..B is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks