Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 13:14   #91
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

I took the Belgaum route one year and ended up on a really bad road. It was a swift but still managed to scrape my undecarriage on a few places with just 2 of us in the car. This was in the year 2008. In 2009 we decided to take the Amboli ghat route which was much better. Slightly patchy but not as bad as the previous route. On my return from Goa during the same year we took the old Mumbai Goa highway. Did not find it dangerous to drive on but yes if your not used to single lane to and fro traffic then this route is best avoided. I am scheduled to leave Delhi on 22nd morning at 3:00 am headed to Goa again this year. I will be taking the cut off from Nipani towards Amboli.
Old 20th December 2010, 15:10   #92
BHPian

Hi FS,
Great you bought up the goa question cause we are planning a year end trip to goa and with all the other modes of transport either fully booked (aka trains) or simply exorbitant (aka Flights) even we are planning a splash and dash drive to goa for the new years eve. So our top priority is speed and timing. so would really appreciate if you could share your experience of the trip if you make it back before the 30th.

cheers and have a safe trip
Old 25th December 2010, 11:07   #93
BHPian

Is Belgaum - Londa - Amnod route in Good condition or Amboli is better?
Old 25th December 2010, 11:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

If you take the Amboli route, then the initial section of 10-20 kms after turning off after Nippani on the way to Ajra is bad, but rest is OK.

If you take the Belgaum route, there are some potholes around Anmod, but rest is OK. Belgaum route is best if you are going to South Goa since you can go direct to Madgaon from Ponda.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:35   #95
BHPian

Thanks. Since I wish to go to Sawantwadi and Kudal first I am taking Amboli route. On return journey from Goa will try Anmod one.

I think I will divert from Tawandi Ghat but will surely ask someone at junction about road condition else proceed to Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj road. On that road only issue is at Gadhinglaj traffic movement is very slow.

Will surely report after return.
Old 31st March 2011, 14:17   #96
BHPian

Hey guys, I am planning to drive down to Goa in April and having read all the above discussions, i am still confused which route is the best. I have driven NH 17 last year, we left Vashi at 4.30 am and were in our hotel (south Goa) by 2.30 pm. Would appreciate if anyone can answer the following -

1. How much time would it take from Vashi (Navi Mumbai) to Goa by both NH4 and NH17.

2. I may be wrong, but i think even though NH4 is a double lane with divider road, its still faster to Goa by NH17. All those who have done either, please throw some light on this.

Thanks and awaiting your replies.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo23 View Post
1. How much time would it take from Vashi (Navi Mumbai) to Goa by both NH4 and NH17.
Both should take you around 10hours roughly.

Quote:
2. I may be wrong, but i think even though NH4 is a double lane with divider road, its still faster to Goa by NH17. All those who have done either, please throw some light on this.
Not much of a time difference,the only difference is that NH17 is scenic while NH4 is a little relaxed,else time-wise there really is nothing in it.Both would take you around 9-10hours give or take an hour.

If you are going via NH4,you could either come via Sankeshwar-Sawantwadi-Goa or else go till Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Ponda-Goa via NH4A.Road is in good condition as per last reports.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:51   #98
BHPian

Thanks ranjitp1. If both take the same time then i would prefer to take the NH17 since i have already done that route last year. Any updates on the road condition?
Old 31st March 2011, 20:37   #99
Senior - BHPian

NH17 is in good condition. You will encounter heavy traffic between Panvel & Nagothane, so an early start would help you avoid some of that traffic.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH17 is in good condition. You will encounter heavy traffic between Panvel & Nagothane, so an early start would help you avoid some of that traffic.
Thanks for the tip. I intend to leave Vashi at 4.00 am. That should be good. What say?
Old 1st April 2011, 11:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I intend to leave Vashi at 4.00 am. That should be good. What say?
You should be in Panjim by 2-3pm.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You should be in Panjim by 2-3pm.
Ya, i hope so. Thanks for the help guys. Will update how the trip came along. Any recommended places for breakfast on the way?
Old 1st April 2011, 13:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leave at 53-600 am. Incoming traffic - especially buses - is very high on NH17 towards Bombay and being a 2-lane road a dangerous situation for you to be in since they come all over the place. Budget for a 10-hour drive.

Breakfast - there are some restaurants at Vadgal phata after Pen.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya, i hope so. Thanks for the help guys. Will update how the trip came along. Any recommended places for breakfast on the way?
Your best bet for a breakfast stop would be at Vithal Kamat,Mahad on the highway itself.but a 4 am departure would mean you would reach there by 6 or 630,I am not sure if that place would be open by then,we stopped by there last time around 7 and it was open.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Stick to NH17. Scenic drive, making the most of the trip. Past Vadkhal Naka, there are a lot of joints serving good breakfast. My honest suggestion is, stick to normal routine breakfast (Pohe/Upma) etc. (Unless you halt at Kamat, Mahad. Anything at that joint is great).

Leave around 5AM, so you drive at a decent time and would avoid the busses / trucks that drive crazy on the early morning deserted roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks