Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 22:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanx DF,hillarioushow he went searching for NH17 and ended up discovering NH4...Talk about trip planning
Absolutely, ranjitp1 he has some great photos of the route on picasa. I wonder if the Nh17 is in better condition now than when those photos were clicked. So nice to see the forty shades of green.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 28th April 2010 at 22:40.
Old 30th April 2010, 07:10   #62

I returned yesterday from Goa to Mumbai. Based on views from Team-BHP, the route chosen was Calangute-Mapusa-Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajra-Gandhiglaj-Sakeshwar (where one joins NH4) and then through Pune to Mumbai. The total distance was about 585 km which we covered in 10 hours in a Civic, starting 1 pm from Goa and with a longish seafood lunch at Sawantwadi and a shorter dinner break on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway. The smaller roads upto NH4 were in good/reasonable condition and well-marked.

This was part of a longer journey (Mumbai-Kolhapur-Hampi-Chikmagalur-Coorg (Siddapur)-Mangalore-Goa-Mumbai). The Mangalore-Goa NH17 was very busy, and overtaking was not easy, and that may hold true for the Goa-Mumbai route as well, so the NH4 alternative is certainly less stressful.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:11   #63
BHPian

Mumbai - Goa Road Trip NH -17 Road Conditions

Folks,

Plan to do Mumbai to Goa via NH 17 or Via NH4 crossover to NH-17 via Amboli Ghat.

need advice & updates on Road conditions on both the routes

Thank in Advance Milind
Old 24th August 2010, 13:17   #64
BHPian

NH4 does not have any problems to report. I have done stretches of NH-17 recently (Sangameshwar/Chiplun - Poladpur and Pen - Mahad) and it is in good shape. Not really in S. Konkan but overall it never is a problem unless there is any flooding in that region)
Old 24th August 2010, 13:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Abhay, did you go on NH17 after the heavy rains and flooding? Any idea of its condition between Ratnagiri and Savantwadi?
Old 24th August 2010, 15:01   #66
BHPian

hvk, as I said I did not go further than Ratnagiri hence do not know how much damage was caused in the July monsoon deluge.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:08   #67
BHPian

I have recently driven from Mumbai to Panvel, Pen and Kolad. No issues at all. At some place there are small , deep pot holes which can prove difficult for Bike riders .
Old 24th August 2010, 15:26   #68
BHPian

Thanks for the Update.

I plan to go Via NH4 Thane - Pune - Kolhapur - Sankeshwar- Amboli Ghat-Sawant wadi (NH17) -> Goa
Old 24th August 2010, 15:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Somebody went last week from Hyd and they say,Amboli is still a problem.Best to go either via Phondaghat or via NH4A(Londa-Anmod-Mollem)
Old 13th October 2010, 14:39   #70
BHPian

can someone tell me, between NH17 and NH4 which route is better and faster Mumbai-Goa at this moment?
Old 13th October 2010, 21:19   #71

Hi
i just ended a fantastic week (oct 6-12) during which me and my bike travelled mumbai-goa-mumbai. Have done this route many times in the past and this time was as awesome as any.

work commitments meant that i could give time to only one : a road trip, or wandering around goa. i chose the former. i needed to spend a day in pune, so my down trip was on the NH4 and the return trip was done riding on the NH17. having returned yesterday, i can give a good estimate of the road conditions.

having ridden down to goa on many previous occasions, and via all the routes, choosing the route was not a problem.

TO trip-

the mumbai to goa trip was done on the NH4, Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-nipani-sankeshwar-gadinglaj-ajara-amboli-sawantwadi-panjim. the road till sankeshwar (part of the GQ project) is flawless and feels like a glide. it could get a tad boring due to the endless straights, but good music and random thoughts can keep you occupied on the way. the road however, is fantastic. a safe and speedy four-laner which gives you full freedom to open up. once you go off the NH4 at sankeshwar, the road to gadinglaj is a typical village road, with a good serving of potholes. the road is not very bad, but you are prejudiced by the high standards the NH4 has set by then. after ajara, the road improves as you travel over smooth curves and through lush fields towards the picturesque amboli ghat. a small patch of the amboli ghat is in a bad shape due to a landslide, but that hardly takes more than a few minutes. the road then is decent upto sawantwadi, where you join the NH17. a small patch near banda can give you a few shakes, but order is restored immediately and you can have an undisturbed 50 kms to panaji after that.

my time log

left from mumbai 5 am - reached pune 8 am

stayed the day in pune

left from pune - 4.30 am
kolhapur - 8 am
breakfast in kolhapur
sankeshwar - 10.05 am
ajara - 11.15 am
sawantwadi - 1pm
panaji - 2pm

total distance
mumbai - pune 179 kms.
pune-panaji 472.3 kms

FRO trip - (note, fill up your tank in panaji, the fuel there is around 4 bucks cheaper than maharashtra/mumbai

Followed the legendary mumbai-goa NH17 highway on my way back. the ride to sawantwadi was the same as on my down journey, with that bad patch at banda making me frown, but otherwise a chilled ride. after sawantwadi, you will encounter a very uncomfortable two hours till kankavli with the roads still suffering from the hangover of the rainy season. frequent braking and ubiquitous potholes will make you cringe every 5 minutes or so. (i did catch a glimpse of pavers and roadrollers working on a few of those ugly patches, so you might give out a few lesser ouches me.) you wait impatiently for the potholes to end, and you also sort of end up negotiating with the road and settle for a few small holes and cracks.

but after kankavli, the road atones for all its sins. the flat out two laner tarmac makes you thank everything that made you take this trip. the road is a pure biker's (or driver's) delight. the soft curves, the gentle ascents and descents and the sparse traffic which provides the right food for your overtaking hungry brain, it all fits perfectly to give you a complete road experience. you do frown again, but this time for not having a better bike (or car) under you. the curves keep your speed under check, but you dont miss it at all. the only downside is that its a divider-less two laner, so you have to keep a watch for those mischievious truck/bus drivers on the opposite lane.
the awesomeness continues till wadkhal naka where heavy traffic (especially in the evening) and bad roads make you miss the NH 17. the drive till pen and then panvel is then decent, after which i encountered the mumbai peak hour traffic, which is best not talked about

time log

departed from panaji - 6 am
sawantwadi 7.15 am
kankavli 9.30 am
mahad 2pm
vadkhal naka 4 pm
panvel 5.30 pm
mumbai 7.15 pm
(with a food halt and a couple of water in-water out stops)
total distance 582.7 kms
Old 25th October 2010, 23:31   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhankar View Post
Hi
i just ended a fantastic week (oct 6-12) during which me and my bike travelled mumbai-goa-mumbai. Have done this route many times in the past and this time was as awesome as any.
Thanks for your details log on the road conditions between Mumbai and Goa via the NH17 and NH4 highways. My family and I will be traveling from Goa to Mumbai on October 31 on our Alto LXI and our return journey will be on 11 or 12 November. I was initially keen to do the Goa-Mumbai trip via the NH4 (Panjim-Sanwantwadi-Amboli-Ajra-Nipani-Kohlapur-Mumbai) route and return via the NH 17 route, to sample both routes. However, we were advised to avoid the NH 17 as parts of the stretch are full of potholes. Can you let me know if the NH 17 is really that bad?

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 28th October 2010, 13:53   #73

Hi I am planning to leave for Goa by road on 30th October and I called one of the drivers in Goa who informed me that NH 17 is ok barring some spots like Chiplun & Sawantwadi but he told me it is still better to take NH 17 rather than NH 4
Old 28th October 2010, 23:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Hi I am planning to leave for Goa by road on 30th October and I called one of the drivers in Goa who informed me that NH 17 is ok barring some spots like Chiplun & Sawantwadi but he told me it is still better to take NH 17 rather than NH 4
Thanks for the info. Can you PM with your phone so that I can contact you regarding the conditions of the NH17 during your trip on October 30. I'm going from Goa to Mumbai via the NH4 on October 31 and plan to return on Nov 12 via the NH 17. If the road conditions of NH 17 are poor by an Alto LXI standard, then I'll take the NH 4 on my return journey as well.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 30th October 2010, 11:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I'm going from Goa to Mumbai via the NH4 on October 31 and plan to return on Nov 12 via the NH 17. If the road conditions of NH 17 are poor by an Alto LXI standard, then I'll take the NH 4 on my return journey as well.
Thanks,
Melvyn
Melvyn
Please post details of the route youre taking and the condition of it when you reach Goa if you can or when you're back. It will help me to choose the correct one.
regards
Nigel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks