Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 12:11   #166
BHPian

Re: Pune-Goa

there seems to be bad stretch (very bad) from uttur-ajara-amboli as
mentioned recently at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2619771

overall nipani-amboli-sawantwadi route needs to be fixed.
So as hammerhead suggestion, will be taking
Pune => Sankeshwar => Gadhinglaj => Ajra => Amboli => Sawantwadi => Goa route.

Please let me know if there are any suggestions on this.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:15   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for pointers.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:18   #168
BHPian

You can halt at Hotel Pearl at Kolhapur, & try the yummy local food at Opal. It's a huge family dining place & they serve the yummiest Kolhapuri mutton. Enjoy!
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 12:19   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
while returning, will be taking the same route in reverse order. As checkout time is 11am, planning to have lunch at sawantwadi.
Now i had seen some good restaurant reviewed on "chakh le" or "homp", but couldnt remember the name.
can anyone point out good sea-food restaurant?
Is it the anand lunch thali restaurant?

read about it at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2642897
Old 1st February 2012, 16:01   #170
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

got the related episode of chakh le on sawantwadi..

Old 17th February 2012, 22:14   #171
BHPian

Hi friends.

Planning to drive down Mumbai-Goa by the end of this month or March beginning. Taking the Expressway-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur route. But need your advice from the border onwards.
Which one of the following is the best route to take at the moment for driving down with 3 people in a Ritz VDI with minimal luggage?

1. Tawandighat - Nipani - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - Pernem route

OR

2. Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - Pernem route

Kindly reply ASAP! Thanks!
Old 18th February 2012, 22:16   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
1. Tawandighat - Nipani - Uttur - Ajra - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - Pernem route

OR

2. Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi - Pernem route

Kindly reply ASAP! Thanks!
Had taken the route 2 on 2nd feb and was in good shape.

note that in amboli ghat, once u pass the temple there is very small patch of road where some fencing work is going on. apart from that, the route is very good.

I was suggested against the route 1 as the uttur stretch had lots of potholes. so unless anyone confirms if these route is fixed, you should take up route 2.
chetans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 09:26   #173
BHPian

Hi,

Will be driving to Goa on 1st March, post office hours. (Scheduled Departure 1900 hours). Could some one tell me where would be good places to halt for food and refreshment.

I have done this trip during day but this is my first overnight drive to Goa. Taking the Expressway - Kholapur-Nipani-Sawantwadi- route. All suggestions are welcome.

Regards
RoS
Old 21st February 2012, 14:08   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Had taken the route 2 on 2nd feb and was in good shape.

note that in amboli ghat, once u pass the temple there is very small patch of road where some fencing work is going on. apart from that, the route is very good.

I was suggested against the route 1 as the uttur stretch had lots of potholes. so unless anyone confirms if these route is fixed, you should take up route 2.
I took the route 1 on the 18th and also on the return trip on the 19th from Kolhapur. As it is rightly said, upon entering the ajra-nipani link road from the expressway, there is a stretch of around 4-5 kms which is pot holes ridden. Apart from this, rest of the section is kind of rough but without any pot holes.

There was not much traffic, but many tractors with their sugarcane laden trailers are a pain to overtake in the winding sections. Also the road width sometimes compels you to drive over the shoulder to overtake these overloaded tractor carriages.

yes, the section of amboli ghat which had witnessed landslides on a couple of occasions, is being worked. Progress is a bit slow here.

At Banda (Goa border) avoid taking the new road (the one which is raised at a significant height) and continue on the old road. I made a mistake of taking the new section on both my to and fro journeys. On 2-3 occasions i scrapped the belly of the punto while negotiating the huge moon-like craters which have developed here.

A word of caution: On the way to kolhapur, i was stopped at the junction of Amboli-ajra and amboli-belgaum for excise checks. I was specifically questioned whether i was carrying any liquor. Since i speck a bit of marathi, i kind of engaged him in a conversation of goa and kolhapur. After that he didnt check much and let me go. Anyways i wasnt carrying anything of their interest.

Total time from Goa to Kolhapur is @ 4 hrs including two tea breaks of 10 mins each.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:24   #175

Folks , Going by the majority of replies I presume
Option 1 i.e - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Khoratwadi - Ajara - Sawantwadi is the best bet instead of
Option 2 - Nippani - Uttur - Ajara - Sawantwadi
I plan to take my new city ( 2 months) which has barely done 1800 kms through this route so wanted to make sure I don't encounter bad roads considering City's ground clearance.
Have heard horror stories about traffic in and around Mapusa , am headed towards Calangute, is it better to take the deviation from Bardez towards Assagoa or go via Mapusa itself?

Also can somebody who has done the Mumbai - Goa via NH4 suggest a good refuelling point around Kolhapur- Nipani.. Want to refuel before I hit the Goa border.

I plan to start at 5 AM and reach Calangute around 2:30 - 3 .. It would be great if fellow team-bhp ians can comment on this?
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:26   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy1 View Post
Folks , Going by the majority of replies I presume
Option 1 i.e - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Khoratwadi - Ajara - Sawantwadi is the best bet instead of
Option 2 - Nippani - Uttur - Ajara - Sawantwadi
I plan to take my new city ( 2 months) which has barely done 1800 kms through this route so wanted to make sure I don't encounter bad roads considering City's ground clearance.
Have heard horror stories about traffic in and around Mapusa , am headed towards Calangute, is it better to take the deviation from Bardez towards Assagoa or go via Mapusa itself?

Also can somebody who has done the Mumbai - Goa via NH4 suggest a good refuelling point around Kolhapur- Nipani.. Want to refuel before I hit the Goa border.

I plan to start at 5 AM and reach Calangute around 2:30 - 3 .. It would be great if fellow team-bhp ians can comment on this?
Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa would certainly be the route of choice for you.

I dont think you should worry too much about the Mapusa traffic. I have done this frequently with no major issues. As you approach Mapusa after crossing over the river bridge at Colvale, you will see the first entry point to Mapusa on your right. You can proceed along this and enter Mapusa town near the main parking square and bus stand. From there till Calangute is about 7 kms with excellent road surface and not much traffic. So no need to take any deviations.

For re-fuelling, there is Reliance a few kms before Kolhapur or alternately after Kolhapur you have the Konduskar pump before you reach Kagal.

Hope this helps and wishing you a great trip.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:57   #177
BHPian

I am going to Varca in South Goa next weekend from Pune, with wife and child.

First thing, i want to avoid the anmod ghat route which i did not like last time .

So, option left is :
1) diversion from nippani
2) diversion from sankeshwar.

Which one i should take ?

Then the next big question is , after i reach goa border i have no idea of the route till varca beach.

please can someone guide me in details with the best possible route, landmarks to note and approx time taken.

thanks again.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:40   #178
BHPian

Hi Amazing,

I would suggest you take the Sankeshwar exit and proceed Sankeshwar - Gahdinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - (or Dhanoli) - Banda - Goa border. For the Dhanoli route see my post in the thread Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur Goa Road. The Sankeshwar Gadhinglaj road is definitely better than the Niappani Uttur road. Be sure not to miss the turn off on NH4. There is just one sign post showing Gadhinglaj where you have to slide off the highway and then once down turn right under the bridge (highway on top) and proceed.
Once you enter Goa stay on NH 17 and just follow the signs for Porvorim, Panaji and then Margao. Once you pass Porvorim you will come down a slope leading to two bridges. Although the left hand bridge is mainly for heavy vehicles and a bit lumpy I would suggest you stick to this as at the end of the bridge you will be turning left to Margao.
It is at least an hour and 30 mins fast driving from when you enter Goa till you reach Margao. Once you reach Margao (main circle) I would suggest you turn right on to the Colva road. About 2 to 3 Kms down this road you will see sign posts for the various hotels. As you mentioned Varca, I presume you are going to Club Mahindra. Follow the signs and don't hesitate to ask for directions.

Do not break the speed limits especially on the Colvale (about 15 mins after entering Goa) and any other bridge and do NOT overtake on any bridge in Goa. The police "Interceptors" will be waiting for you!!!

Have a great trip.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 22:17   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I am going to Varca in South Goa next weekend from Pune, with wife and child.

First thing, i want to avoid the anmod ghat route which i did not like last time .

So, option left is :
1) diversion from nippani
2) diversion from sankeshwar.

Which one i should take ?

Then the next big question is , after i reach goa border i have no idea of the route till varca beach.

please can someone guide me in details with the best possible route, landmarks to note and approx time taken.

thanks again.
I would suggest you take the diversion from Sankeshwar via Gadhinlaj - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa border.

1.From Goa border you have to proceed to Varca which is in south Goa - a good 80 odd kilometres (?) so keep going straight on NH-17 (now NH-66) till you reach Margao (approx 70kms away) crossing Pernem, Colvale, Mapusa, Panaji and Verna on NH-17(NH66).

2. You know you've reached Margao till you cross the Kadamba bus stand and a circle which leads to four roads - go straight crossing Kamat restaurant (the first one) - from here one-way roads start so proceed straight then left towards Holy Spirit Church - straight - then take a right on 'Padre Miranda Road' and proceed straight via Hospicio Hospital, Municipal Garden (the main Margao town area), Kamat Restaurant (second one), traffic signal till you reach a railway bridge which leads you to Navelim and further down south

3. Cross the railway overbridge (rather curvy one) - at the foot of the railway bridge take the first left and again a left (effectively a U turn) - proceed straight - a little ahead take the first left under the railway overbridge and proceed straight - right curvy road - left - proceed straight till you cross a bridge over a canal

4. At the end of the canal bridge there is a T-Junction which indicates a left towards Varca and right towards Colva with several boards of resorts. Take left from there.

5. Proceed straight via lots of fields and a few houses scattered here and there till you reach Varca Church on left, football ground on your right and St. Mary's High School on left.

6. From the church junction take a right, go straight then at the end of the road take a left, go straight, take the first right and again proceed straight!

I'd suggest you ask your resort or hotel for directions from Varca church that would be best! Hope this helps!!

To cover Goa border to Varca you should take approximately one and a half hours depending on traffic! Have a great journey!
thebluez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 11:40   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Have a great journey!
Many thanks thebluez for the detailed road guide which in fact is much more useful than google maps.

@suzuki san

...thansk for your inputs. It really helps a lot to have such wonderful helpful people like you in this forum.

Now, the bad thing is that, I may not be able to get leave in march , so may have to replan this after 15th April..I know it will be quite hot in goa that time , but we love goa anytime :-)

Last edited by Amazing : 6th March 2012 at 11:43. Reason: correction in name while thanking a bhpian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks