Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:47   #241
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Pune to goa on 6th September and coming back on 10th September to Thane.
Thinking of two routes :
1) Kolhapur > Belgaum > Chorla > Candolim, Goa
2) Kolhapur > Nipani > Amboli > Sawantwadi > Candolim, Goa

Which route is more scenic and comfortable in current conditions ? How will be traffic conditions on both routes in the afternoon ?

Has anyone tried to bypass Belgaum and taken Chorla ghat road ? So that i can save Belgaum city traffic.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:42   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Pune to goa on 6th September and coming back on 10th September to Thane.
Thinking of two routes :

Which route is more scenic and comfortable in current conditions ? How will be traffic conditions on both routes in the afternoon ?

Has anyone tried to bypass Belgaum and taken Chorla ghat road ? So that i can save Belgaum city traffic.
Chorla is definitely the more scenic of the two and is in good condition as well.

How do you propose to bypass Belgaum town and enter Chorla unless you are thinking of going all the way to Dharwad-alnavar-khanapur-jamboti-chorla-sanquelim:not worth it.Belgaum traffic is not that bad and directions are easy.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:07   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Chorla is definitely the more scenic of the two and is in good condition as well.

How do you propose to bypass Belgaum town and enter Chorla unless you are thinking of going all the way to Dharwad-alnavar-khanapur-jamboti-chorla-sanquelim:not worth it.Belgaum traffic is not that bad and directions are easy.
Thanks Ranjit !

I will go via Chorla ghat only.
Old 7th September 2013, 15:06   #244
BHPian

I am going to Candolim on my i20 ASTA Petrol on 15th Sep from Pune. Planning to take the Belgaum - Chorla route, leaving Pune around 5.00 a.m. should be good enough? I have a 4.5 yr old daughter and breaking hard and rounds in ghat sections induces motion sickness in her, so have to drive accordingly. That said, how much time should it take to reach Goa? Considering this time of the year, where should we take pit stops? Any help will be much appreciated. I want to take some good snaps on the way of there are spots for that. Recently changed my front tyres for this trip, Apollo Acelere as the stock ones lasted quite well. The car is now 35k kms driven, still feels beautiful to drive on open stretch, done servicing in June so I think she is good to go. Any specific suggestions?

Regards,
Shyamtanu
Old 12th September 2013, 13:36   #245
BHPian

Back from Goa drive on 10 Sept.

While going i chose Chorla road. Road condition is really good. Its very scenic and really good / tough ghat section (I love driving in ghats). There is only 100-200 mtrs patch which is totally muddy.
After moving from Belgaum to Goa on NH4A there is clear board mentioning direction for Chorla. It took almost 3.5 hrs to reach Candolim from Belgaum.

While coming back I chose NH4A route which is Phonda > Khanapur > Belgaum. Road condition is not as good as Chorla. Once you cross Goa border you will find patchy road. Rather once you cross ghat section road becomes worst for certain patches.
Even NH4A route is also very scenic. We took 4 hours from Candolim to Belgaum.

@ Shyamtanu
Its good that you are planning to leave early from Pune. Till Satara there are nearly 7 to 8 diversions and as usual MH diversion patches are bad.

You can take break @ Hotel Abhiruchi, Wai junction They serve good Maharashtrian breakfast like thalipith and misal as you may take almost two hours to reach Wai because of Khambataki ghat. For Lunch you can take stop @ Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum. Its in core Belgaum city but they have ample parking space (which certainly evey T-Bhpian wants) and very good veg food. Belgaum might be early lunch time but there are no food options on Chorla route and you may take more time due to ghat section and to avoid your dauther's motion sickness.
After reaching Sanquelim if you are heading to north goa then you have to chose Mhapusa road and for south goa Panaji route.
In terms of car, i20 petrol will not have any problem. Just check tyre pressure and spare wheel previous night before starting to goa. Dont worry about the car. I drove my DZire VXI which has clocked 52K in 5 years and she loves such routes.

Cheers !
sameervg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 20:53   #246
BHPian

Quote:

@ Shyamtanu
Its good that you are planning to leave early from Pune. Till Satara there are nearly 7 to 8 diversions and as usual MH diversion patches are bad.

You can take break @ Hotel Abhiruchi, Wai junction They serve good Maharashtrian breakfast like thalipith and misal as you may take almost two hours to reach Wai because of Khambataki ghat. For Lunch you can take stop @ Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum. Its in core Belgaum city but they have ample parking space (which certainly evey T-Bhpian wants) and very good veg food. Belgaum might be early lunch time but there are no food options on Chorla route and you may take more time due to ghat section and to avoid your dauther's motion sickness.
After reaching Sanquelim if you are heading to north goa then you have to chose Mhapusa road and for south goa Panaji route.
In terms of car, i20 petrol will not have any problem. Just check tyre pressure and spare wheel previous night before starting to goa. Dont worry about the car. I drove my DZire VXI which has clocked 52K in 5 years and she loves such routes.

Cheers !
Sorry for being late in acknowledging your kind response Sameer, many thanks. I have planned to have breakfast in Wai after the ghat as you have stated. Lunch will be Adarsh Palace/Ramdev in Belgaum. I shall definitely update this thread after I return, and share photus. However, what all should one do in/around Candolim, anything specific to do there.. and last but not the least, is it safe to venture in the sea at this time since monsoon is not over yet? I have not been to Goa since 2007 and really have been planning for this trip for long, feeling excited like a child really

Last edited by Shyamtanu : 13th September 2013 at 21:02.
Old 20th November 2013, 15:41   #247
BHPian

Has anyone tried a night drive from mumbai to goa on NH 17?
I am planning a night drive from Mumbai-to-Goa via NH 17. How good is it? Any places for a quick bite at night on that road? What would be the best time to leave mumbai at night? What time can i expect to reach goa? Pls provide your valuable inputs.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:13   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
I am planning a night drive from Mumbai-to-Goa via NH 17. How good is it? Any places for a quick bite at night on that road? What would be the best time to leave mumbai at night? What time can i expect to reach goa? Pls provide your valuable inputs.
Hi,

Similar to his query, I also wanted to check on NH 17. My parents will be driving down there next week, and I have a feeling they will not be able to do it in one stretch. Dad will be driving, and he is 50. I have 3 questions:
- Do you think it's advisable to do this at one stretch? I'd do it, but I am not sure if I want my parents to.
- If not, which is the best place to take a break? I was thinking Ratnagiri. How long does it take to reach there from Mumbai? Any hotel suggestions?
- How is the road condition throughout?

Thanks much.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:16   #249
BHPian

One thing i know for sure is that Ratnagiri is a little off the NH17. You got to take a detour (right turn) at Hathkhamba Naka and you got to drive 10 kms. Its a typical small town. Everything closes down quite early (by 10?). Mahad is a town bang on the highway. Its 165 kms from Mumbai. It would roughly take around 3 hrs to reach Mahad depending upon the traffic. Being in an industrial belt, I suppose you can find some lodges or places to stay. Also, most of the ghat section is after Mahad.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:50   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
I am planning a night drive from Mumbai-to-Goa via NH 17...
Hi Pokerface, any updates after your drive. I am driving down to Ratnagiri via NH17 tomorrow and wanted to check how is the road condition.

Will update this thread once I am back!
Old 6th December 2013, 21:38   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyjerk View Post
Hi,

Similar to his query, I also wanted to check on NH 17. My parents will be driving down there next week, and I have a feeling they will not be able to do it in one stretch. Dad will be driving, and he is 50. I have 3 questions:
- Do you think it's advisable to do this at one stretch? I'd do it, but I am not sure if I want my parents to.
- If not, which is the best place to take a break? I was thinking Ratnagiri. How long does it take to reach there from Mumbai? Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks much.
Five and O is not an age one can't drive down to Goa from Mumbai at one stretch. Today vehicles have a much better comfort level compared to 30 years ago. But driving on the NH17 is very different to the Newer concrete / tar highways, since it has no divider and hence unsafe especially if the driver of the vehicle is not used to overtaking on single laned Highways of India. It would be prudent to drive via pune on the NH 4 and turn of on to the Chorla route at Belgaum. On this route you'd have a better choice of Hotels for your folks to stay the night too.
Cheers
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 15:59   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Five and O is not an age one can't drive down to Goa from Mumbai at one stretch. Today vehicles have a much better comfort level compared to 30 years ago. But driving on the NH17 is very different to the Newer concrete / tar highways, since it has no divider and hence unsafe especially if the driver of the vehicle is not used to overtaking on single laned Highways of India. It would be prudent to drive via pune on the NH 4 and turn of on to the Chorla route at Belgaum. On this route you'd have a better choice of Hotels for your folks to stay the night too.
Cheers
I know where you're coming from. Though, he is not used to driving at all. He does not even drive in Mumbai. Hence the worry. :-)

Noted regarding the NH4 piece. Will let him know.

Would be great if you can let me know of stops also. My thought is that they will do a 1-stop drive. They leave tomorrow.

Cheers,
Old 9th December 2013, 18:10   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know where you're coming from. Though, he is not used to driving at all. He does not even drive in Mumbai. Hence the worry. :-)

Noted regarding the NH4 piece. Will let him know.

Would be great if you can let me know of stops also. My thought is that they will do a 1-stop drive. They leave tomorrow.

Cheers,
I'm not qualified for this. You need Ranjith but since your dad's leaving tomorrow I'll throw in a bit from the guru

For stay at Kolhapur, Opal is good if its just basic n budget accommodation. Raysons Regency is excellent and would more expensive than opal. Do a google on this

I don't know which part in Goa he's going to, but if it's north I'd prefer the Chorla but the road from Belgaum to Goa via this is lonely. But I prefer this Ghat to the Amboli, less traffic for one and it seemed easier to me.

Belgaum has many good places.

1.Sankam is the preferred pitstop.very good buffet breakfast!

http://www.sankam.in/

2.Eefa is ok.www.eefabelgaum.com

3.Sanman Deluxe is also good (typical old fashioned Udupi setup)www.sanmandeluxe.com

A GPS would work for him I think. And since you say he doesn't even drive in mumbai please don't let him go on the NH17
Cheers and wish him a safe drive and good vacation
Old 9th December 2013, 18:20   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks much.
If its a first time driver,I would second DF's suggestion-Go via the NH4 till Tavandi ghat,then go via Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim.NH17 can tire him out and the monstrous buses and trucks can be menacing at times.

Panvel-Panjim can be easily done with sedate speeds in about 8-10hours via NH4

If he is stressed,he can stay in Kolhapur (Opal),go uptil Belgaum(Sankam,Eefa,Sanman Deluxe).If going to Belgaum,then drive to Goa via Chorla-sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17.

Places to stop:

MPEW Food courts
Plenty of restaurants just before the Khed Shivapur toll out of Pune(1st toll gate after Pune on NH4)
Mcdonald after the KS Tollgate
Sai International before Kolhapur(he wont miss this one,very prominent)
Opal in Kolhapur
Mcdie and CCD at Kolhapur
Restaurants on Tawandi Ghat after Kolhapur

He would never go hungry on this route.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th December 2013 at 18:24.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 21:40   #255
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone done the Mumbai Goa trip via Belgaum, Khanpur , Molem , Ponda , Panjim route?

can someone indicate present state of roads on this route?

Thanks!

Shashi

Quote:
Hi All,

Thinking of two routes :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks