Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 20:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Condition - Bangy - Yercaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have explored it only in Google Maps!
Some one needs to do for real!

I had to go to Salem by the end of this month and if I am going alone, I will explore this route for sure.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:17   #62
BHPian

Recent Road Condition of BLR to Yercaud

Planning to travel to Yercaud from Bangalore on this Sunday (19th June) and come back on the same day. After the search, I see the road I need to follow is NH7 (till Salem) and to take the divertion on left towards Yercaud.
Few queries that I have:
a) My plan is to go and come back on the same day. (Cannot take leave on Monday and some important works on Saturday!! ). Is it too optimistic plan?
b) How is the road condition? Can it be covered 3.5 - 4 hours?
c) Any good hotels for refreshments/food after Salem? If no, how about before NH7 (before Salem)?

Regards.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:28   #63
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Recent Road Condition of BLR to Yercaud

The NH7 road from Bangalore to Salem (and beyond till Dindugal/Madurai) is superb.
You can do Blr-Salem in about 2-3 hours. From Salem it's a ghat road to Yercaud and that should take you an hour or so (not sure about present road conditions, don't expect it to be bad). Total distance Blr-Yercaud is about 230km. Add a break for breakfast of about 0.5-1 hr and you're looking at approx. 4 hours.
Assuming you leave Bangalore by 6am you should be able to reach around 10am.
The lake is right at the entrance to Yercaud so you can go there first and spend time (boating, etc) till noon. After lunch you can cover few places like Lady's seat, the observatory, etc that you should be able to complete by 4-5pm. You can leave by 6pm and reach Bangalore before midnight including a break for dinner.

However, I would not recommend such a hectic schedule if you're driving yourself.
You'd rather spend one night there and return next day after lunch.
Here's a recent tlog from one of our tbhpians (and you can find others too if you search on tbhp).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...days-trip.html

For food you have good options about 60km from Bangalore near Shoolagiri (about 20km before Krishnagiri). Few that I know of :
1. Krishna Inn inside a Hindustan Petroeum petrol pump campus
2. after another 4-5 km there is A2B (adayar ananda bhavana) inside a Bharat Petroleum petrol pump campus. Breakfast starts at around 7 though they open at 6.30 for coffee
(both 1 and 2 are on left hand side when you drive from Bangalore)
3. at Thoppur (about 100km+ from Bangalore) there is a A2B inside a Bharat Petroleum petrol pump campus. This one is on right hand side and you need to make a U-turn

You'd rather go to Salem for breakfast - on the highway itself there is a GRT hotel where they serve a buffet breakfast (I think it's Rs.300). Or you can go inside Salem town to Saravana Bhavan since you will anyways take the Yercaud devitation towards the town.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 18:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well if you look at it you would be on the road for close to 10hours(adding in traffic jams etc while getting back into Blore).Not worth it imho.leave early from Yercaud the next day around 6 and you would be in Blore for a late breakfast.

In addition to what NPV mentioned,there is also a Kamat Upachar onto your left much before the Krishna Inn.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 21:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

I second what NPV and ranjitp said. Its not worth to travel more hours and spending less hours in yercaud.

Yercaud is a small hill station and not like Ooty/Kodai where you have too many sight seeing points. But still, to keep the schedule not very hectic, Its better to reach there on saturday night (either salem or yercaud), take rest, spend almost 3/4 of sunday in yercaud and then travel back to bangalore.

2 cents from my side...

-Ravi
Old 16th June 2011, 22:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I second what NPV and ranjitp said. Its not worth to travel more hours and spending less hours in yercaud.

Yercaud is a small hill station and not like Ooty/Kodai where you have too many sight seeing points. But still, to keep the schedule not very hectic, Its better to reach there on saturday night (either salem or yercaud), take rest, spend almost 3/4 of sunday in yercaud and then travel back to bangalore.

2 cents from my side...

-Ravi
Agreed. Let me add 1 cent more :-)
The best of things in Yercaud is the night view of Salem Town from Lady's seat. If there is cold breeze and/or some cloud movements in the valley, you will have a good refreshing experience. And after enjoying this sight (best is if you have valley view room in Sterling), it is not advisable to drive back in the night.

So, I would strongly recommend a night stay if you were to visit Yercaud. Else, half the fun is not experienced. Right, mates?
Old 16th June 2011, 23:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

I have the same opinion as the other members. A single day plan will definitely be hectic. Yercaud can be enjoyed only if you stay there. There is nothing much/exciting sight seeing in Yercaud. If you do it in a day, you will lose most of your time in driving.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

The drive to yercaud is one of the best drives you can go on. Beautiful highway throughout. If you do not stop anywhere or do just one stop, you can reach in about 4-5 hours. The roads are amazing, as you will see. But in one day, you can definitely do it. I have done trips in a day across harsher terrain and longer distances, but you take a beating the next day.

Hence, would be best you leave on a Saturday when you get the chance, spend the day there and then return on sunday.

As for eating, take caution. You hardly get a place to stop and eat. It is very frustrating and would recommend you take food along with you. I had gone with family, and my inlaws and it was frustrating that after miles on miles we didnt get a single place to stop and eat. We just managed to get a joint similar to A2B just a bit before Salem, on the right side of the road
Old 17th June 2011, 06:37   #69
Team-BHP Support

Its improved a bit now. There is another A2B at Thoppur (but on the other side of the road while heading to Salem). So at least good hotels (well its only A2B and nothing else!) equally spaced.

Salem also has GRT right at the entrance to 5 roads junction. If you want to splurge for food its an ideal place.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:30   #70
BHPian

Thanks a lot to all of you.

As all of you are having the same opinion, I am droping the plan to execute the intial plan of completing the trip in the same day. However I want to go somewhere around Bangalore and need to complete on Sunday only (saturday evening will also not work out! :().

Anyways, as the mind is all set to go for a drive on Sunday, I need to go! . Was looking into the TBHP forum and got a good lead to select my destination @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html.

Once again thanks a lot for your suggestions and advice.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Salem also has GRT right at the entrance to 5 roads junction. If you want to splurge for food its an ideal place.
GRT at Salem is a good rest halt if you are not in a hurry, A La Carte takes a while and if you want a quick bite then the buffet spread is there, but it is quite pricey for a small town.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 11:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
GRT at Salem is a good rest halt if you are not in a hurry, A La Carte takes a while and if you want a quick bite then the buffet spread is there, but it is quite pricey for a small town.
Very pricey IMO,double occupancy is at INR 3400 inclusive of taxes & bf and the breakfast buffet is priced at INR325 inclusive of taxes.

They are banking on the fact that they are the only star category hotel around,Pride has taken over Salem Castle but its still pretty bad is what I heard,any reviews on that from anyone?
Old 17th June 2011, 15:45   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Staying overnight at Yercaud is the best part. Watching the sunset over the valley, eating hot bhajjias as it gently drizzled, is my favourite memory of the trip I'd made with family back in 2006-07. There are a lot of good hotels and lodges in every budget to choose from as well.

Driving 4 hours+ either way is doable sure, but you have to account for traffic returning to Bangalore city on Sunday evening which is hellish. My advice is wait for a longer weekend and stay overnight!
Old 17th June 2011, 16:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
Thanks a lot to all of you.

As all of you are having the same opinion, I am droping the plan to execute the intial plan of completing the trip in the same day. However I want to go somewhere around Bangalore and need to complete on Sunday only (saturday evening will also not work out! :().

Anyways, as the mind is all set to go for a drive on Sunday, I need to go! . Was looking into the TBHP forum and got a good lead to select my destination @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html.

Once again thanks a lot for your suggestions and advice.
Why don't you try Yelagiri, Mekedatu or Hogenekkal?
Old 20th June 2011, 10:01   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Condition - Bangalore - Yercaud

Do note that the route to Hogenakkal is not one or two but there.

1. Standard GQ: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Pengaram-Hogenakkal.
2. SH from Hosur to Rayakottai, which then takes you to the Dharmapuri-Pennagaram road. (This is used by trucks to avoid toll on GQ)

3. The route through Anchetty (which is most scenic and the worst of all) For this route, from Hosur, you turn to Denkannikottai then go to Anchetty. At Achetty ask any one for Hogennakkal and its a straight. You get broken tarmac for about 5-8 km, which back breaking and suspensions will get majorly stressed. If you have vehicle with good suspensions and high GC, worth taking this route for the drive. Very green route at that.

A TL based on the Anchetty route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-anchetti.html

EDIT: Please note, I dont think there is a route from Anchetty leading to Pennagaram bypassing Hogenakkal. The route goes through Hogenakkal only. If there is one bypassing Hogennakal, I could not spot it at Anchetty.

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2011 at 10:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks