Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 21:37   #76

Re: Road Condition - Bangy - Yercaud

I analyzed this route via Belur, Naripalli sometime back, but never drove it. A friend from around this area said this was an awesome scenic route. Few buses are supposed to go by this route. This route would be a very short distance route between Chennai to Salem via Tiruvannamalai, although the time it takes for the Belur stretch is unknown. Might be a good option for bikers. Another plus may be to attempt Chennai - Yercaud via the Kuppanur ghat via Belur, since from Belur you enter Salem from the east and can touch Ayodhyapattinam to Kuppanur.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:30   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh9999 View Post
I analyzed this route via Belur, Naripalli sometime back, but never drove it. A friend from around this area said this was an awesome scenic route. Few buses are supposed to go by this route. This route would be a very short distance route between Chennai to Salem via Tiruvannamalai, although the time it takes for the Belur stretch is unknown. Might be a good option for bikers. Another plus may be to attempt Chennai - Yercaud via the Kuppanur ghat via Belur, since from Belur you enter Salem from the east and can touch Ayodhyapattinam to Kuppanur.
I read in a different thread (I think the Bangalore-Tiruvannamalai) thread that the Uthangarai-Harur-Salem section is very good even for cars.
Just that the roads around the towns are pretty bad. Apart from that its nice.

What I don't know is the status on Dharmapuri-Harur-Tiruvannamalai.
Old 15th August 2011, 20:58   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I read in a different thread (I think the Bangalore-Tiruvannamalai) thread that the Uthangarai-Harur-Salem section is very good even for cars.
Just that the roads around the towns are pretty bad. Apart from that its nice.

What I don't know is the status on Dharmapuri-Harur-Tiruvannamalai.
I took a night bus within the last 12 months from Salem to Chennai, that went via Harur - Uthangarai - Chengam - Thiruvannamalai. Average SH roads all throughout.

The Harur - Kuppanur ghat section is what is really great and scenic in this section East of Salem, but that wouldn't be part of the Dharmapuri-Harur-TVM you write above.

I am eager to hear if anyone here has tried the Belur - Thumbal - Naripalli route to Tiruvannamalai from Salem or Vaazhapaadi. As written earlier, a friend spoke very highly about the scenic nature of this route. This route seems to run right through the Kalrayan hills, must be really scenic indeed. I read elsewhere about a long proposed railway route around this area to connect to Kanchipuram.
Old 15th August 2011, 21:47   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh9999 View Post
I took a night bus within the last 12 months from Salem to Chennai, that went via Harur - Uthangarai - Chengam - Thiruvannamalai. Average SH roads all throughout.

The Harur - Kuppanur ghat section is what is really great and scenic in this section East of Salem, but that wouldn't be part of the Dharmapuri-Harur-TVM you write above.

I am eager to hear if anyone here has tried the Belur - Thumbal - Naripalli route to Tiruvannamalai from Salem or Vaazhapaadi. As written earlier, a friend spoke very highly about the scenic nature of this route. This route seems to run right through the Kalrayan hills, must be really scenic indeed. I read elsewhere about a long proposed railway route around this area to connect to Kanchipuram.

Wow! Good update. That resolves at least mystery about the Tiruvannamalai-Harur condition. Seems like, this is a good section to drive.

But some how I am not too sure about the line through the hills connecting Kanchi. There is already one connecting the Salem-Vridhachalam via Attur. And WIP Tiruvannamalai line connects Villupuram to Vellore.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:05   #80
BHPian

Re: Road Condition - Bangalore - Yercaud

Hi all planning a trip to Yercaud this weekend from bangalore. How is the road condition currently? Any advice on which hotel to go for Grand Palace vs Lake forest. Couldn't find any availability for GRT trails :(.
Old 29th November 2011, 21:48   #81
BHPian

Hi no one has been to Yercaud recently? Some details would really help me as rescheduling the to this Thursday.
Old 29th November 2011, 22:18   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Hi no one has been to Yercaud recently? Some details would really help me as rescheduling the to this Thursday.
I don't think there is any change in road condition.
Its good 4L till Salem (No need to comment on that).

Ghat sections again have not deteriorated as such.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:55   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went to Yercaud 3 weeks back and the road condition is excellent till Yercaud including the Ghat section. Even the road near thoppur on the way to salem has been re-laid with no more bumps, uneven parts.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:59   #84
BHPian

thanks for your input guys
Old 9th May 2012, 19:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what is the best route to Yercaud from Bangalore? If its via Salem, how good is Salem - Yercaud sector at present?

Google maps, by default, shows a different route via Dharmapuri (Bypass) - Laligam - Bommidi - Chengalkadu - Yercaud. Is it doable by a sedan? How is the road condition?
Old 9th May 2012, 19:46   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
Google maps, by default, shows a different route via Dharmapuri (Bypass) - Laligam - Bommidi - Chengalkadu - Yercaud. Is it doable by a sedan? How is the road condition?
The best is via Salem. Get to to the five roads signal and ask for any one for the Yercaud road. Also the ghat road from Salem is very decent.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 10:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all planning a trip to Yercaud this weekend from bangalore. How is the road condition currently? Any advice on which hotel to go for Grand Palace vs Lake forest. Couldn't find any availability for GRT trails :(.
falcon,
where do you end up staying finally? Any update on Grand Palace or Lake forest?
Old 10th May 2012, 11:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Guys, what is the best route to Yercaud from Bangalore? If its via Salem, how good is Salem - Yercaud sector at present?

As Amp suggested, the best option is to go to Salem and then go to Yercaud. This road is wide and is in excellent condition. The one given by google cannot be done in a sedan. A 4x4 can possibly do .

Alternately, if you are open to trying new routes and like to take a more scenic route to Yercaud, you can take Salem-Ayodhyapatnam-Kuppanur-Yercaud. This is my favorite.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 12:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Alternately, if you are open to trying new routes and like to take a more scenic route to Yercaud, you can take Salem-Ayodhyapatnam-Kuppanur-Yercaud. This is my favorite.
Thanks for the update.

Scenic road is a good idea ! One route while going and other on return.
What is the distance difference and road condition?
Old 10th May 2012, 12:23   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thanks for the update.

Scenic road is a good idea ! One route while going and other on return.
What is the distance difference and road condition?
The difference in distance would be around 15-20 kms more.
The road condition would be decent enough for a sedan. You can probably take this route for the onward journey.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks