Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 00:09   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555
not sure on the direct stretch from GQ to kodai road, ideal should be trichy - dindugal bypass and kodai road, did this road last month, 4 laning almost over.
Hi RF J555 and folks

Here's an update and if I dare say, suggestion:

From Kodaikanal, drive past Batlagundu and instead of taking the left at the "T" junction after the Batlagundu junction, head straight towards Kodai Road railway station. Once you go past the station (within 1.5 km), you will join a 4 lane road which is basically Madurai- Dindigul- Manapparai - Trichy. There is a toll plaza at the point that connects the SH from Kodai Rd station to this 4 lane highway.

Awesome stretch and given the work happening between Dindigul and Batlagundu, this is a much better option.

If you're traveling from Madras to Kodaikanal, this route will save you about 30 min and give you a better drive. It is easy to spot the diversion to Kodai Rd (2nd toll plaza after you exit Trichy)

Cheers

Road Tripper
Old 14th March 2013, 06:33   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

To avoid Krishnagiri-Bangalore section you can also try :

Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele (on NH7 before electronic city)
Route Link
Thanks again Ampere. I stuck to the regular approach. However, wanted to know about the road quality in the stretch you'd recommended and the time it could help me save (the next time).

Cheers

Road Tripper
Old 14th March 2013, 06:37   #153
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Thanks again Ampere. I stuck to the regular approach. However, wanted to know about the road quality in the stretch you'd recommended and the time it could help me save (the next time).

As I hear the 6 laning continues and is nearing completion. So barring for traffic and tolls, roads and diversions per se should not be a problem on the main 4-lane.
This alternate route goes through villages and hence you may not be able to zip through. But you can I think maintain speeds like 60-80 constantly. There is absolutely very little traffic and also this is a scenic route. So what it mainly helps is avoid the bulk traffic and crossing Hosur/Krishnagiri.

I suspect you may not save much time, but more importantly it may be a hassle free drive. Again since I have myself not done it end to end, cannot say that conclusively.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:13   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In January there were still patches with no roads in between.No markings done yet.Same is the case between Vathalakundu and the turn off to Kodai,wide road and suddenly you come up on a mud section.
If its that unpredictable, it is worth going via Palani. Dindigul-Palani is a dream run (except for 5 broken rail crossings) its a wide 2-lane with shoulders. Palani-Kodai is pretty good, less trafficked compared to Vathalagundu route. Going via Palani will add about 15 km more.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80

If its that unpredictable, it is worth going via Palani. Dindigul-Palani is a dream run (except for 5 broken rail crossings) its a wide 2-lane with shoulders. Palani-Kodai is pretty good, less trafficked compared to Vathalagundu route. Going via Palani will add about 15 km more.
But I found the Palani-Kodai ghat sections to be broken and quite rough at many sections as opposed to the vatalakundu route where the road surface is/was excellent
Old 29th March 2013, 00:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Was at Theni last week. Dindugul-Bathlagundu stretch still being laid, so best avoided. Anyone wanting to reach Dindigul from Kodaikanal, the best route is Kodai-Bathlagundu ( continue going straight at that intersection)-Kodai Road-Dindigul. Periyakulam - Bathlagundu stretch is complete and the roads are excellent. The turn to Kodai is unmarked, so those going to Kodai, watch out for the right turn (adjacent to an Indian Oil petrol station).
Old 5th August 2013, 11:12   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Was at Theni last week. Dindugul-Bathlagundu stretch still being laid, so best avoided. Anyone wanting to reach Dindigul from Kodaikanal, the best route is Kodai-Bathlagundu ( continue going straight at that intersection)-Kodai Road-Dindigul. Periyakulam - Bathlagundu stretch is complete and the roads are excellent. The turn to Kodai is unmarked, so those going to Kodai, watch out for the right turn (adjacent to an Indian Oil petrol station).
Hi All
I may be heading to Kodaikanal this weekend.
Wanted to check on the following:
1. Is the Trichy outskirts part of the highway to Dindigul via Manapparai done?
2. In March, I took the Dindigul Batlagundu SH. It was still WIP and 3-4 stretches were bad. On the way back I took Kodai Rd and joined the 4 lane highway after Kodai Rd back to Trichy (via Dindigul and Manapparai).
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on th
Old 5th August 2013, 11:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Hi All
2. In March, I took the Dindigul Batlagundu SH. It was still WIP and 3-4 stretches were bad. On the way back I took Kodai Rd and joined the 4 lane highway after Kodai Rd back to Trichy (via Dindigul and Manapparai).
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on the condition now?
4. Advice/ updates on the Tambaram-Trichy NH stretch.

Please share your inputs. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers
Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:58   #159

Quote:
Hi All
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on the condition now?
4. Advice/ updates on the Tambaram-Trichy NH stretch.

Please share your inputs. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers
Road Tripper
Hi Road Tripper/ All,

Planning a trip to Kodai this weekend. Any update on the road conditions from your last trip. Of the two routes "Dindigul Batlagundu SH" and Kodai Rd -4 lane highway , which was better.

Please share,
Thanks,

Santosh
Old 29th September 2013, 15:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkur View Post

Hi Road Tripper/ All,

Planning a trip to Kodai this weekend. Any update on the road conditions from your last trip. Of the two routes "Dindigul Batlagundu SH" and Kodai Rd -4 lane highway , which was better.

Please share,
Thanks,

Santosh
Hi Santosh
Not sure if this update is useful now. I would suggest that you continue past Dindigul on the 4 lane highway and get off at Kodai road. I prefer this to the Dindigul-Batlagundu route, found this faster and less traffic. The road from Kodai Rd to Kodaikanal is in good condition, just watch out for a couple of patches and small deviations from the carriageway.

Cheers
Road Tripper
Old 29th September 2013, 15:38   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Santosh
Not sure if this update is useful now. I would suggest that you continue past Dindigul on the 4 lane highway and get off at Kodai road. I prefer this to the Dindigul-Batlagundu route, found this faster and less traffic. The road from Kodai Rd to Kodaikanal is in good condition, just watch out for a couple of patches and small deviations from the carriageway.
Is Dindigul-Batlagundu a 4-lane? I thought its wide 2-lane. Can you confirm this ?
Old 29th September 2013, 17:12   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is Dindigul-Batlagundu a 4-lane? I thought its wide 2-lane. Can you confirm this ?
I think he is referring to continue with the 4-lane from Dindigul and get off at Kodai Road to join back at Batlagundu - as mentioned by @RoadTripper some posts above.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 17:31   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I think he is referring to continue with the 4-lane from Dindigul and get off at Kodai Road to join back at Batlagundu - as mentioned by @RoadTripper some posts above.
Sorry. Missed it. Its the 4-lane indeed. But I think now that the road is good, one may not not that detour.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:34   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Sorry. Missed it. Its the 4-lane indeed. But I think now that the road is good, one may not not that detour.
Hi Ampere

I agree continuing on the 4 lane stretch is definitely longer from a distance point of view. However, by exiting off Kodai Rd Toll Plaza after Dindigul, the advantage is that you cover more distance faster and you get to delay the inevitable a bit (SH driving).
Old 14th October 2013, 13:35   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere

I agree continuing on the 4 lane stretch is definitely longer from a distance point of view. However, by exiting off Kodai Rd Toll Plaza after Dindigul, the advantage is that you cover more distance faster and you get to delay the inevitable a bit (SH driving).
I think its a wide 2-lane. And its a NH45 and not SH. Though I have not driven recently, so I cant comment on how heavy is the traffic.
Of course as you said the 4-lane option is quite smooth too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks