Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 17:40   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Even at this time frame, I hope 7 hrs should be enough time to plan for. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If you are starting at around 1:30 PMfrom Chennai, you should be able to reach Trichy comfortably at around 6:30 PM. Passing Trichy byepass would be an issue but you should be able to reach Dindigul at around 8:00 PM without any difficulties.

This translates to the fact that you would climbing up the ghats in the dark.
Hope you are fine with that.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:10   #122
BANNED

During this month beginning I took Dindigul Vathalagundu route to reach Thekkaday. From Dindigul, lane expansion work is going on, there were lot of diversions. Diversions were available upto to Kodai right turn after Vathalagundu, so it would be better if this stretch of travel is planned during day time, otherwise after daylight it will be horrible to cross this. While returning from Thekkady, I took Theni Madurai route to avoid these diversions....
accentgiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:46   #123
BHPian

Quote:
If you are starting at around 1:30 PMfrom Chennai, you should be able to reach Trichy comfortably at around 6:30 PM. Passing Trichy byepass would be an issue but you should be able to reach Dindigul at around 8:00 PM without any difficulties.
Thanks for that. Starting from Tambaram, so hoping for less than 5 hrs Trichy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This translates to the fact that you would climbing up the ghats in the dark.
Hope you are fine with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accentgiri View Post
During this month beginning I took Dindigul Vathalagundu route to reach Thekkaday. From Dindigul, lane expansion work is going on, there were lot of diversions. Diversions were available upto to Kodai right turn after Vathalagundu, so it would be better if this stretch of travel is planned during day time, otherwise after daylight it will be horrible to cross this. While returning from Thekkady, I took Theni Madurai route to avoid these diversions....
Going only till Dindigul. No other thread for that. Hence looked appropriate here to seek advice.
Thanks folks.
Old 25th May 2012, 08:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Thanks mate. But I am planning to start at 1330 hrs on a weekday as said in my first post here.
I did a 1230 start once, was at TVS tollgate at 530, caught the 4-lane at 630 and was at Theni turnoff at 745. You can knock off 20 min off my timings, 'cos I started from T.Nagar.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 12:40   #125
BHPian

I'm going to be driving from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Palani this Thursday. I have two questions:
1. Which exit should i take when i reach Trichy so that i can get into the city and then get onto the Dindigul road?
2. Is the road from Palani to Kodaikanal better or worse than the Vatlagundu road in terms of surface and traffic?

I have a wedding to attend at Palani. Otherwise I wouldnt bother with this route. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 13:15   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
I'm going to be driving from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Palani this Thursday. I have two questions:
1. Which exit should i take when i reach Trichy so that i can get into the city and then get onto the Dindigul road?
2. Is the road from Palani to Kodaikanal better or worse than the Vatlagundu road in terms of surface and traffic?

I have a wedding to attend at Palani. Otherwise I wouldnt bother with this route. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Keep going on the Trichy bypass - no turns anywhere - to get onto Dindigul road, since it is the same NH45.

Palani-Kodai road is a very beautiful road, more than the Vathalagudu road. But narrower and less traffic.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 13:16   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think there is no other option, but for the following.
(Will let others also comment on the same)

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 13:34   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Keep going on the Trichy bypass - no turns anywhere - to get onto Dindigul road, since it is the same NH45.
When i drove this stretch a couple of years ago, i stayed on the bypass thinking the same thing but the road was actually NH45B - the highway to Madurai. To get to the Dindigul road, i heard there is no option but to get off the bypass and then get into town to join it. Wonder if it connects to the Dindigul road now. Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i drove this stretch a couple of years ago, i stayed on the bypass thinking the same thing but the road was actually NH45B - the highway to Madurai. To get to the Dindigul road, i heard there is no option but to get off the bypass and then get into town to join it. Wonder if it connects to the Dindigul road now. Anyway thanks for the help.
Lakshman, this is what I wrote when I took Dindigul Road for the first time. Yes, you will have to get off the bypass at the last exit (TVS tollgate). Time your start so that you don't cross Trichy at peak hours.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:25   #130
Senior - BHPian

Just did a Chennai - Kodai trip last weekend. The road our upto Vathalagundu from Dindigul has a lot of diversion. It is better to go via Palani the ghat road is in good condition as well.

I had opted to take a detour via Viralimalai from Manapparai and passing Trichy was a breeze, though it was longer by about 15 kms.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 19:04   #131
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Just did a Chennai - Kodai trip last weekend. The road our upto Vathalagundu from Dindigul has a lot of diversion. It is better to go via Palani the ghat road is in good condition as well.

I had opted to take a detour via Viralimalai from Manapparai and passing Trichy was a breeze, though it was longer by about 15 kms.
That's interesting. Does it mean that i can stay on the Trichy-Maduri hwy till Viralimali without having to enter Trichy?
Old 4th June 2012, 22:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do remember such diversions from 2-lane days, but is the detour better evil than the traffic from TVS tollgate to Dindigul road 4-lane start ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
That's interesting. Does it mean that i can stay on the Trichy-Maduri hwy till Viralimali without having to enter Trichy?
Yes these roads do exist, but not sure of the road conditions though.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:51   #133
BHPian

Got back from my trip yesterday. As mentioned earlier on this thread, a lot of road widening going on between the regular turn off to Vattlagundu after Dindigul.

So I carried on for another 25 kilometers on the 4 lane NH 7 until a toll plaza. Took the very next exit and turned right towards Vattlagundu. Follow signs to Kodai Road - the railway station. Once you get onto the smaller single lane road, take the 1st left. You will be in Vattlagundu in 15 to 20 minutes.

I find this route much faster and hassle free
Lakshman1645 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:43   #134
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Got back from my trip yesterday. As mentioned earlier on this thread, a lot of road widening going on between the regular turn off to Vattlagundu after Dindigul.

So I carried on for another 25 kilometers on the 4 lane NH 7 until a toll plaza. Took the very next exit and turned right towards Vattlagundu. Follow signs to Kodai Road - the railway station. Once you get onto the smaller single lane road, take the 1st left. You will be in Vattlagundu in 15 to 20 minutes.

I find this route much faster and hassle free
You mean you took the Dindigul-Madurai highway and joined Vathalagundu instead of coming through the Dindigul-Vathalagundu road.

Is this the route you took: Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu to Dindigul, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

I am planning a Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Kodai-Vathalagundu-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai route. In that case from Vathalagundu i should aim for hte Madurai highways, and take left once on the highway, right?
Old 5th June 2012, 19:23   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
You mean you took the Dindigul-Madurai highway and joined Vathalagundu instead of coming through the Dindigul-Vathalagundu road.

I am planning a Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Kodai-Vathalagundu-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai route. In that case from Vathalagundu i should aim for hte Madurai highways, and take left once on the highway, right?
Hi oss,

After looking at the map I'm honestly not very sure, thought that does look like the road I took. Following the route you want to take on your way back (Kodai-Vathalagundu-Dindigul), do not turn left when you get to the main junction in Vathalagundu. Instead, carry on straight. The road is not very wide but the surface is not bad. After about 20km approximately you will drive through an under bridge and immediately reach a T junction. Turn right and drive on this road for a couple of minutes until you reach the 4 lane NH 7. You will be forced to turn left and join it north bound. From here it's straight down to Dindigul and Trichy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks