Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 14:08   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi Ampere

I agree continuing on the 4 lane stretch is definitely longer from a distance point of view. However, by exiting off Kodai Rd Toll Plaza after Dindigul, the advantage is that you cover more distance faster and you get to delay the inevitable a bit (SH driving).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its a wide 2-lane. And its a NH45 and not SH. Though I have not driven recently, so I cant comment on how heavy is the traffic.
Of course as you said the 4-lane option is quite smooth too.
Can't really see the merit of driving 10 kms extra (And paying an additional toll as well of whatever amount) in order to reduce a 2 lane drive of 30 kms to 20 kms. (You still need to drive 20 kms on the SH from the Kodai Road exit to reach Batlagundu and that is again a 2 lane road).

Was probably justifiable during the time when roadwork was ongoing there, but from what reports I've seen here there are no more diversions due to roadwork and the drive is pretty much smooth on NH45.

And by the way - I thought the road work on NH45 was for conversion to 4 lane. Isn't that so ?
Old 14th October 2013, 14:46   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
And by the way - I thought the road work on NH45 was for conversion to 4 lane. Isn't that so ?
I thought the NH45 was a 4-lane was only till Dindigul. Beyond its a wide 2-lane road. The re-work was to make it into a good 2-lane.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I thought the NH45 was a 4-lane was only till Dindigul. Beyond its a wide 2-lane road. The re-work was to make it into a good 2-lane.
OK. Haven't travelled that way since the roadwork started, so haven't had a chance to drive on the "new improved" road
Old 6th March 2014, 07:24   #169
BHPian

Hey guys, I have to travel to Kodaikanal this weekend. Would be a great help if anyone has any recent update on the Dindigul - Batlagundu road. Is the work completed by now or is it still better getting off at Kodai Road? Thanks in advance...
Anand3553 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 12:12   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Hey guys, I have to travel to Kodaikanal this weekend. Would be a great help if anyone has any recent update on the Dindigul - Batlagundu road. Is the work completed by now or is it still better getting off at Kodai Road? Thanks in advance...
Dindugul-Vathalakundu, road works over long time ago.
This road is wide, buttersmooth, and in excellent condition all the way.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 12:42   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Dindugul-Vathalakundu, road works over long time ago. This road is wide, buttersmooth, and in excellent condition all the way.
Thank you for the info Ddrive..Appreciate it
Old 10th March 2014, 15:40   #172
BHPian

Just back from the trip to Kodaikanal. If it helps anyone, the road from Chennai is amazing all the way till Vathalagundu. But watch out for the numerous bad patches while travelling uphill/downhill.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:57   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Just back from the trip to Kodaikanal. If it helps anyone, the road from Chennai is amazing all the way till Vathalagundu. But watch out for the numerous bad patches while travelling uphill/downhill.
Can you tell us a little bit more about the exact route taken? Also how long did it take to reach etc?
Old 12th March 2014, 13:31   #174
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Can you tell us a little bit more about the exact route taken? Also how long did it take to reach etc?
Recently, I rode on my Thunderbird 500. I left my Chennai Royapettah home at 4:10 am, took a break for 1 hour at Trichy for refuelling and breakfast, reached Kodaikanal at 1:30 pm with many photographic breaks on the way, left Kodaikanal at 3:30 pm, took a break for 1 hour at Trichy for refuelling and dinner and reached back home at 3:25 am the next day. The details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th March 2014 at 13:36.
  (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 13:50   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Tambaram – Chengalpet – Tindivanam – Ulundurpet – Trichy – Dindigul – Batlagundu – Kodaikanal was the route taken. But we somehow missed the direct route to Manapparai after Trichy and ended up doing a slightly longer route through Viralimalai and joined Manapparai. Joining the highway at Manapparai turned out to be tricky as it involved navigating through a very busy and narrow market road and about 500 mtrs off-roading. The actual road which joins the highway was blocked due to ongoing construction of an over bridge.
I apologize for not having the time noted. We were a group of 6 cars with a couple of inexperienced drivers on their first long trip because of which it was stop-wait-start every now and then.
To give an idea of the traffic on the highway, we started at around 5 AM and had a good number of trucks all the way till Trichy after which the trucks became far and few inbetween.
Anand3553 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 18:17   #176
BHPian

The route taken by Anand3553 is the shortest and fastest.
The return route by J.Ravi is through Palani and he has done for a change.
How long will it take to reach depends on the speeds you drive.

At 60kmph average speed.
Tambaram-Vathalagundu 437 kms can be done in 7 hours with breaks.
Vathalagundu-Kodaikanal 60 kms ghats, can be done in 2 hours (@30kms/h)
So totally 9 hours or may be 10 hours. leisurely by any car.
Volvo buses are covering Kodaikanal-Tambaram in 10 to 11 hours, I believe.

Seen people driving super fast cars on speeds over 120, 140 or more (mostly), doing this Tamabaram-Vathalakundu stretch well below 5 hours

Last edited by Ddrive : 12th March 2014 at 18:20.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:31   #177

Hi All,

I am planning to go the Chennai - Kodaikanal route in a few days.

I plan to take the Chennai - Trichy - Bathlagundu - Kodaikanal route.

I would be travelling in a Laura 2.0 DSG Diesel Automatic.

I need your help on the below:

1. Though I have done many long distances, this is the first time I will be driving in the ghats. How difficult is this ghat road for a beginner? How many hairpin bends are there?

2. I have gone through numerous threads for tips on hill driving. Are there any specific tips to drive an automatic car?

Regards,
Sriram
Old 17th April 2014, 17:27   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickgenius View Post
1. Though I have done many long distances, this is the first time I will be driving in the ghats. How difficult is this ghat road for a beginner? How many hairpin bends are there?
The ghats are nothing treacherous.Just maintain prescribed speeds and overtake judiciously and you should be fine.
Old 17th April 2014, 18:29   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. I have gone through numerous threads for tips on hill driving. Are there any specific tips to drive an automatic car?
Just take care against the TN State buses coming in opposite, when you are in the ghats. They are known to drive very rash.
Old 17th April 2014, 19:00   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Regards,
Sriram
Some suggestions

- You have to be cautious not just while climbing uphill or downhill, but also while driving between sightseeing spots. Since it is summer vacations, there will be considerable traffic on the hills and you will have to do the stop-n-go thing on the slopes or declines with vehicles at front and behind. So be extra cautious and watch out for vehicles going behind.

- While climbing uphill/downhill, always strictly stick to left at any given moment, never ever assume the road ahead is gonna be free and tread to the middle or to right. In the ghats, the reaction time and space to maneuver will be very less leading to dangerous situations. So always keep this in mind - Strictly left all the time - while taking hair pin bends, small straight stretches and everywhere else.

- This is in case the car does not have Hill-Assist. Always know where your hand brake exactly is. In case of car going backward, people in the car might raise noise. Do not panic, but pull the hand brake.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 17th April 2014 at 19:03.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks