Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 21:12   #256
BHPian

Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Bhor (varandh) ghat. The road is full of graveled tarmac. This goes on for about 30 kms. One section of about 100mtrs has just loose red soil. Fun off roading and drifting over that particular turn
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:22   #257
BHPian

Hi Forum,

Just dropping a line to check if any one has been from Pune to Dapoli recently.

Monsoon break is coming up and the family is itching for a short holiday.

Any first hand experience about whether this is possible/advisable?

If yes, please guide with the best route at the moment, and other gotchas that may be there.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th November 2020, 15:03   #258
BHPian

Would appreciate an update on the latest road conditions on this route. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2020, 18:42   #259

Does anyone have latest experience of the route from Pune to Dapoli? I would like to know if Varandha ghat is better or Tamhini
ghat .
Old 27th January 2021, 09:14   #260
Team-BHP Support

Looks like no one has an update on the road between Pune and Dapoli. Perhaps we will stick to the standard Mulshi - Tamhini - Mangaon - Khed route.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:26   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Looks like no one has an update on the road between Pune and Dapoli. Perhaps we will stick to the standard Mulshi - Tamhini - Mangaon - Khed route.
This seems to be the most recent update for route till Mangaon via Tamhini:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4943570 (Pune - Diveagar : Route Queries)
Old 27th January 2021, 09:39   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satish_BHP View Post
Does anyone have latest experience of the route from Pune to Dapoli? I would like to know if Varandha ghat is better or Tamhini
ghat .
I had been to Varandha ghat in September 2020. There is a patch in the ghat proper that has totally caved in. Only cars were able to squeeze through. And mind you this cave-in had happened in the 2019 monsoon season.
Also roads were in various stages of repair. This did not matter for me as I was driving my Grand Vitara. But cars with lower ground clearance will need to be careful.

Tamhini road right from Pune is undergoing widening at a glacial pace. So again the same caveats apply.
Old 27th January 2021, 09:51   #263
BHPian

Sorry for the late response, I did the Dapoli to Pune route end of Dec, 2020.

Route details as below:
Dapoli-Palgadh-Mhapral - small 2 lane road with less traffic, the road surface is paved though uneven at places, no worries in my civic, so no worries for most cars. There were couple of stretches where road work was in progress, the surface was even but very dusty but no issues. Just be careful on bridges as they are very narrow and 2 vehicles side by side is a tight fit. Mhapral is where you cross the Savitri River.

Mhapral to NH66 junction - a very scenic Ghat route, was great to drive.

NH66 to Mangaon - Lot of laning work in progress and you need to drive carefully as there are diversions and overall traffic speed is high.

Mangaon - you have to cross this town and it is a nightmare with narrow roads and lot of traffic. We crossed on Sunday so it was very crowded and we spent around 15-20 mins more in navigating the town, so be patient.

Mangaon to Vile Bhagad MIDC - Narrow back road road to start with, but traffic is less. There was surfacing work in progress at a few places. As you get closer to MIDC, the road becomes better.

Vile Bhagad MIDC - Tamhini Ghat - Quick Bite on Mulshi - Super Tarmac and nice twisties, great drive

Quick Bite - Chandni Chowk - worst stretch as everyone has confirmed. Concrete work is done in patches and traffic generally is a bit unruly, so be patient and drive in a relaxed manner

Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-dapoli-pune-route-dec2020.png

Last edited by Meer : 27th January 2021 at 09:54. Reason: added some more info
Meer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 17:33   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Drove on this route towards Guhagar weekend of 17th January

Chandni Chowk to Pirangut - road work ongoing, one side road only at small hill next to Manas lake. Jams to be expected if any bigger vehicle comes downhill at the same time.
Pirangut - the usual lawlessness
Pirangut to Paud - not bad
Paud to Mulshi - no roads in some patches. Other patches there is a one way concrete road and lots of diversions.
Mulshi to Orchard resort - smooth tarmac except for a couple of surprise patches, one near that High places, one near the ghat viewing point.
Ghat itself road surface is ok. Monkeys all around, the animal type.
Ghat base to Mangaon - decent
Mangaon - usual mess
Mangaon to Mahad - diversions but lot of work is near done.
mahad to poladpur - decent roads
Kashedi - decent except for a couple of patches where you hope not to get stuck behind a slow trailer
Kashedi to Khed - awesome two way concrete road. Be careful at the end of this stretch, it ends in a diversion with the warning board put up at the diversion, not before.

We went all the way down to Khed and then towards Dabhol. Some broken patches but ok roads overall.
Breakfast at quickbite. Lunch at a small hotel immediately after Khed.

Took too much time, so tried returning via Kumbharli. That road is completely broken from halfway up Kumbharli ghat to almost Patan. No facilities between patan and Kumbharli. Please keep that in mind if trying that route. Though we did make up for lost time on the NH.

Vehicle used Scross. 4 people on board.

Hope it helps
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:22   #265
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to drive to Dapoli from Mumbai in Late March. Request guidance on route to be taken as I can make out from recent posts that the one shown in Google might not be the best one to take. We will be driving in a City Automatic. Thanx
Old 5th April 2021, 15:51   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
Guys, I am planning to drive to Dapoli from Mumbai in Late March. Request guidance on route to be taken as I can make out from recent posts that the one shown in Google might not be the best one to take. We will be driving in a City Automatic. Thanx

Hi, We did the trip on 2nd April and came back on 4th. As mentioned in other posts road condition was pretty bad in some stretches but not something which can't be done at a speed of 10kmph. However , the traffic was sparse and coming from Bombay It was quite relaxing. Would recommend Dapoli as a long weekend getaway from Mumbai as crowd is sparse.
Car- Honda City
Stay- The Fern
Midway Break- Strangely couldn't find the trusted Vitthal Kamath. Also, we were carrying over own refreshments owing to prevailing covid situatuon.
Shanks_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:13   #267
BHPian

Dear All,

Is there any recent update on the Pune Dapoli route please ?
Both Tamhini and Varandha are equally worse it seems.

Thanks
Rohan
Old 11th November 2021, 10:36   #268
BHPian

Since there are no updates on my query, let me provide my own
I took the leap of faith and took the Tamhini ghat instead of Varandha and was not disappointed.
I travelled from Pune to Karde beach and took the Tamhini - Mangaon - Dapoli - Karde route and I could make it it 5.5 hours with a 30 mins break with my Hexa. Another cousin of mine made it in same time in his Honda City.
The Tamhini ghat road is super smooth except for one or two small patches where the road is severely damaged.
The problem lies with the road before and after the Tamhini ghat.
The road through Bhugaon upto Paud is riddled with potholes and I could hardly accelerate at a stretch for more than 30 seconds.
Similarly, the road after Mangaon to Dapoli is bad with lot of potholes.
But there isn't any option to that part of the route. My main worry was on the quality of road in Tamhini and it is very good.

Hope this is helpful for fellow drivers
rohansd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 17:43   #269

Follwed the same route as @rohansd ( tamhimi - Mangaon - Dapoli ). The whole road is okay in general with patches of bad road.
Somewhere around 50km from dapoli, there is a very bad section of road.
From Hinjewadi to dapoli, it too around 5hr 30 mins with 40 min break and light footed driving.
automash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 23:19   #270
BHPian

I had promised I'd update varandha and tamhini ghat road conditions here on a monthly basis, but somehow it hasn't worked out. For folks who do want to travel, ping me as a reminder if I haven't posted any updates henceforth. I travel via tamhini twice a month and varandha once a month.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks