Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:45   #211
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 477
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

I am planning for a weekend trip to Dapoli in my Micra. This will be our last trip in our humble Micra as after that she will go to a new home.


Last time I went by NH48 – BHOR -HIRDOSHI –KHED, which was no doubt a scenic route but had pathetic road conditions. While returning, took MAHABALESHWAR route, which was okay-okay. But it took considerably more time, thanks to traffic in Mahabaleswar.


Q1> This time, I am thinking of taking TAMHINI-MANGAON-MAHAD-KHED route. Is this road advisable over HIRDOSHI or MAHABALESHWAR route?



Q2>Also, can I cover either Harihareswar or Guhaghar from Dapoli in a day? We have 2 days in Dapoli and planning to utilize one day to visit either of the above. Google route suggests, I have to use ferry service for car for either of the places. Any pointer on those would be helpful.
PetrolRider is offline  
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:09   #212
Distinguished - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,942
Thanked: 3,251 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Q1> This time, I am thinking of taking TAMHINI-MANGAON-MAHAD-KHED route. Is this road advisable over HIRDOSHI or MAHABALESHWAR route?

Q2>Also, can I cover either Harihareswar or Guhaghar from Dapoli in a day?
The Tamhini route is recommended over the other 2 routes you mentioned. Try to leave early to beat traffic upto Paud village. As it is a 2 laned road with regular traffic, it gets difficult to overtake.

A friend who returned recently mentioned that road surface is decent, except for a couple of patches that should also be doable in a hatchback.

The ferry service to Guhagar from Dapoli is once every hour if I remember correctly. You will likely spend some time waiting for the ferry and loading/ unloading. However, a day trip to Guhagar is doable.

Sorry, I do not have any info about the ferry to Harihareshwar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Both are doable however not recommended if you have kids in the car as they will get too tired as it will take 2.5-3 hours one way.
Well, you never know; they might enjoy the ferry ride. It is better than them going bonkers in a hotel room

by the way, I had shortlisted this place for my Dapoli visit, which has not materialised for a few years now.
www.nisargasahavas.com/

seems like a decent place for families to go and stay. I am in no way affiliated to them

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd May 2018 at 15:20.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:16   #213
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 788
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Q1> This time, I am thinking of taking TAMHINI-MANGAON-MAHAD-KHED route. Is this road advisable over HIRDOSHI or MAHABALESHWAR route?
Route via Tamhini is way better than other two. Road condition in Tamhini is also good as per a friend who traveled last month to Dapoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Q2>Also, can I cover either Harihareswar or Guhaghar from Dapoli in a day? We have 2 days in Dapoli and planning to utilize one day to visit either of the above. Google route suggests, I have to use ferry service for car for either of the places. Any pointer on those would be helpful.
Both are doable however not recommended if you have kids in the car as they will get too tired as it will take 2.5-3 hours one way.

Still if you want to visit then better to visit Harihareswar and start early morning and return by 3PM.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:46   #214
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 477
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The Tamhini route is recommended over the other 2 routes you mentioned. Try to leave early to beat traffic upto Paud village. As it is a 2 laned road with regular traffic, it gets difficult to overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Route via Tamhini is way better than other two. Road condition in Tamhini is also good as per a friend who traveled last month to Dapoli.

Thank you Selfdrive and Skyliner for that info and Skyliner, thanks to you friend too. Can't help with the early reaching at Paud part as I stay at the extreme opposite side of Pune .


Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The ferry service to Guhagar from Dapoli is once every hour if I remember correctly. You will likely spend some time waiting for the ferry and loading/ unloading. However, a day trip to Guhagar is doable.

Thank you again, this info will help.



Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
by the way, I had shortlisted this place for my Dapoli visit, which has not materialised for a few years now.
www.nisargasahavas.com/

seems like a decent place for families to go and stay. I am in no way affiliated to them

Seems interesting, may be next time. This time we are already booked with a resort in Karde beach.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Both are doable however not recommended if you have kids in the car as they will get too tired as it will take 2.5-3 hours one way.

Still if you want to visit then better to visit Harihareswar and start early morning and return by 3PM.

I will be with my 4 year old and my sr. citizen parents. Any particular reason to avoid those places? Thought, people will get bored in resort all day, so better cover any one of those places. I can drop the plan if the roads are bad.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:13   #215
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 788
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I will be with my 4 year old and my sr. citizen parents. Any particular reason to avoid those places? Thought, people will get bored in resort all day, so better cover any one of those places. I can drop the plan if the roads are bad.
Roads are okay, at least they were okay 3 years ago. However, the ghat/curvy roads make passengers even more tired than the distance itself.

However, if you have a day to spare and can start early, it is doable. I would recommend Harihareswar as there is not much to see in Guhaghar except the beach itself.

And as selfdrive suggested, kids might enjoy the ferry ride which you will have to take for either of the destinations.

Have fun!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 15:21   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Folks, has anyone recently taken the trip to Dapoli? During or after monsoons? Any insight on the road conditions or best route to take? I am planning to go this weekend via Tamhini ghat.
quickfox11 is offline  
Old 28th September 2018, 17:35   #217
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Not sure about Tamhini ghat. Definitely avoid Varandha ghat though. Road conditions are very very bad.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 17:37   #218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 152
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Folks, has anyone recently taken the trip to Dapoli? During or after monsoons? Any insight on the road conditions or best route to take? I am planning to go this weekend via Tamhini ghat.

Both Varandha and Tamhini are in real bad shape...
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 17:59   #219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Reached Dapoli yesterday via Tamhini ghat. Now wish I could undo it. Roads are extremely bad, and mostly no road to drive! Even every road in Dapoli is broken and way to the beaches are very narrow. It rained last eve and its raining now!

For return journey, thinking of going to Khed, then Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani, then Pune.
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 23:32   #220
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Asked a local for a suitable way back and got this specific route as best suggestion. Anyone going to Pune (or even Mumbai) can try this. The guy mentioned he used it 2 weeks back and its definitely better than the Tamhini route.

Put these in Gmaps so that google doesn't pick the shorter (but crappy) route for you.
  • Dapoli -
  • Kumharwadi or Palgad -
  • Mandangad -
  • Ambet -
  • Goregaon -
  • Lonere -
  • Mangaon or Indapur -
  • Kolad -
  • Pali(don't go inside the city although map will show) -
  • Umbare or Imagica theme park -
  • Mum Pune Expressway (for Pune or towards Khalapur if going to Mumbai)
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:00   #221
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Reached Dapoli yesterday via Tamhini ghat. Now wish I could undo it. Roads are extremely bad, and mostly no road to drive! Even every road in Dapoli is broken and way to the beaches are very narrow. It rained last eve and its raining now!

For return journey, thinking of going to Khed, then Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani, then Pune.
It will be too crowded in Mahabaleshwear because of the long weekend. You will also have to pay the entry toll for Mahabaleshwar. Better avoid it.
Ketan T is offline  
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:25   #222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Update on the route below:
  • Dapoli to Kumharwadi or Palgad: Average roads while coming out of Dapoli for around 15 kms or so..smooth afterwards
  • Mandangad - Ambet - Goregaon - Lonere: Excellent smooth roads!
  • Mangaon or Indapur - Kolad: Mix roads. Left lane was mostly broken, a lot of diversions needed to drive on the right lane. Continues like that till you reach the left turn that takes you to Alibaug. Go ahead and the right turn takes you towards Pali
  • Pali - Umbare or Imagica theme park: A nightmare. The Khopoli - Pali road is all broken, double lane work is going on in patches (so some cemented roads but only for the right side). Pathetic!
  • Mum Pune Expressway (for Pune or towards Khalapur if going to Mumbai): As expected

Really disappointed with the overall drive. The left rear tyre also got a major damage. The road conditions are unbelievably bad! The guy who gave this route also warned me about taking the Mahabaleshwar route as it has very long ghats which are also in very bad shape!

I was expecting a calm family holiday around the beach but realized that the Dapoli beaches are not exactly favorable for this. They have more rustic charm, probably best for village type experience for stay (if you want to stay near the beach) in groups, without a lot of modern amenities. Or you are religiously attached to some of the temples there. To add to our woes, it was very hot till late afternoon and poured heavily both the evening we were there!

As of now, Alibaug or Dapoli-Harihareshwar-Shrivardhan etc stretch is totally off consideration for any kind of vacation. Alibaug because of the roads (otherwise it's comparatively better than Dapoli and have had a good time whenever we went), and the rest because of the roads and probably the lack of tourism friendliness I expect from the places.

Best option I see for long drives - Goa. For short ones - Lonavala or Panchgani.
quickfox11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 12:19   #223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Hi All,

Need to travel to Khed (Bharna naka) from Bangalore on coming weekend. Plan is to take bus from Bangalore on 13th night (VRL) and get down at Karad towards morning 5am -6 am. Further, take MSRTC/ any other bus service from Karad to Khed in morning so as to reach Khed by around 12.00 pm on 14th.

1. Is this the best itinery by public transport?

2. Where in Karad normally long distance volvo buses stop?

3. If MSRTC is the best way to reach Khed from Karad, is the Karad bus stand far from volvo stop? If not, please help me better modes to reach Khed

4. If Iam advised to take MSRTC bus from Karad, any information on timing of buses? Also any suggested restaurants in Karad for breakfast with clean restroom

Thanks
Aravindpn
Aravindpn is offline  
Old 9th October 2018, 12:57   #224
BHPian
 
distiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Flying around
Posts: 102
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Hi All,

Need to travel to Khed (Bharna naka) from Bangalore on coming weekend. Plan is to take bus from Bangalore on 13th night (VRL) and get down at Karad towards morning 5am -6 am. Further, take MSRTC/ any other bus service from Karad to Khed in morning so as to reach Khed by around 12.00 pm on 14th.

1. Is this the best itinery by public transport?

2. Where in Karad normally long distance volvo buses stop?

3. If MSRTC is the best way to reach Khed from Karad, is the Karad bus stand far from volvo stop? If not, please help me better modes to reach Khed

4. If Iam advised to take MSRTC bus from Karad, any information on timing of buses? Also any suggested restaurants in Karad for breakfast with clean restroom

Thanks
Aravindpn
Hello Aravindpn,
The Volvo buses will drop you on the highway itself and not in Karad bus-stand. Catch a rickshaw to MSRTC bus- stand.
As for good hotel in Karad, Alankar will be a good choice. Its right opposite to MSRTC bus-stand and has very good quality food.
Check out the MSRTC website, I think you ought to have good options.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:44   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,748
Thanked: 2,319 Times
Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravindpn View Post
Hi All,....

Thanks
Aravindpn
Time table for buses that will take you from Karad to Khed, taken from https://msrtc.maharashtra.gov.in/

Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-msrtc.png

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th October 2018 at 16:03.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks