Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:48   #76
BHPian

Re: Pune to Dapoli

Hi Everyone. Did the Pune - Dapoli trip over the weekend.
Stayed at a fantastic place called Aryawarta in Dapoli. Weather was superb and we had a blast.
The only sour note was the condition of the roads via Tamhini ghat. Beyond Mulshi only SUVs and trucks should attempt!!
I have heard from some people I met in Dapoli that the Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar route is much better. Unfortunately didnt try that since we got delayed starting back from Dapoli and thought that a known devil is better than an unknown angel :-)

Last edited by shreeps : 23rd November 2011 at 10:49. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:53   #77
BHPian

re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Folks,

I am planning following route on 30th December, considering it to have least amount of turns and hilly areas any concerns?

+LT
Attached Thumbnails
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-kunal-icon-shopping-complex-naad-beach-resort-google-maps-mozilla-firefox_20111202_214010.jpg  

Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-kunal-icon-shopping-complex-naad-beach-resort-google-maps-mozilla-firefox_20111202_214056.jpg  

Old 4th December 2011, 10:26   #78
BHPian

Re: Pune to Dapoli

Folks,

Can you please comment on following planned route:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2597694
Old 4th December 2011, 13:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtechie View Post
Folks,

I am planning following route on 30th December, considering it to have least amount of turns and hilly areas any concerns?

+LT
The route you mentioned has neither least amount of turns nor less hilly.
The road upto khopoli is e-way and thats the end of good story.
Khopoli-pali-nagothane is two lane road passing through country side of hilly konkan.
From nagothane till bharne phata, its two lane NH17 passing through planes between hills with ups and downs and couple of ghats.

The road pune-nh4-satara-nh4-umbraj-right turn-patan-kumbharli ghat-chiplun-right turn-nh17-parshuram ghat-bharne phata-left turn dapoli will be good bet if you really want least amount of turns and hilly areas. [ This is not shortest route for pune to dapoli.]

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 4th December 2011 at 13:37.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 13:43   #80
BHPian

Pls refer to my earlier post at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-dapoli-2.html

I would reiterate, I would always take Patan road for a Dapoli trip (at least one way). Kumbahrli ghat is well built and scenic. You have option to stop on the banks of Koyana, you wont see such clean waters in many Indian rivers.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 4th December 2011 at 13:45.
Old 4th December 2011, 15:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
The route you mentioned has neither least amount of turns nor less hilly.
The road upto khopoli is e-way and thats the end of good story.
Khopoli-pali-nagothane is two lane road passing through country side of hilly konkan.
From nagothane till bharne phata, its two lane NH17 passing through planes between hills with ups and downs and couple of ghats.

The road pune-nh4-satara-nh4-umbraj-right turn-patan-kumbharli ghat-chiplun-right turn-nh17-parshuram ghat-bharne phata-left turn dapoli will be good bet if you really want least amount of turns and hilly areas. [ This is not shortest route for pune to dapoli.]

Thanks Ashish.

I guess I can cover till Umraj in about 2 hours and from there till Murud in another 3 hours.

This one is a deviation of about 50km as per Google (from what I proposed), but assuming I can do an average 90-100kmph till Umraj I like you route. From there about in 3 hours I can make it to Murud, is that a fair judgement?

+LT
Old 4th December 2011, 16:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtechie View Post
I guess I can cover till Umraj in about 2 hours and from there till Murud in another 3 hours.
pimpri-nh4-satara-umbraj will take 3 hours.
umbraj -murud will eat easily 4 hours.

Umbraj-chiplun= 2hours
chiplun-parshuram ghat-bharne phata-khed= 1hour
khed-dapoli-murud= 1hour

In konkan region, you cant estimate time of travel wpt distance.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 4th December 2011 at 16:15.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Planning a visit to Dapoli from March 23 - 25, and thinking of going via Tamhini. Has anyone traveled through Tamhini recently? If yes, what is the road condition like? I'm not expecting carpet like tarmac, but if it's only huge potholes throughout, then might need to think of the Varandha option. If it's a mix of broken and average surface, then Tamhini it is.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th March 2012, 16:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Planning a visit to Dapoli from March 23 - 25, and thinking of going via Tamhini. Has anyone traveled through Tamhini recently? If yes, what is the road condition like? I'm not expecting carpet like tarmac, but if it's only huge potholes throughout, then might need to think of the Varandha option. If it's a mix of broken and average surface, then Tamhini it is.

Cheers,
Vikram
I took this road in November, details here

I am sure both roads must have deteriorated since then, but I think I would suggest to stick to Tamhini, just because it would be faster. Again, depends on which car you drive and what type of road you like
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 17:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I took this road in November, details here

I am sure both roads must have deteriorated since then, but I think I would suggest to stick to Tamhini, just because it would be faster. Again, depends on which car you drive and what type of road you like
Thanks Figopian! I drive a Scorpio, so bottom scraping is not a issue. However, there'll be 2 kids [ages 4 and 2.5] in the vehicle, and am more concerned about their comfort.

We're planning to leave at 3 PM on March 23. That is why, like you, I'm also leaning towards the Tamhini Ghat route rather than Varandha/Poladpur. This is purely to avoid the chaos that is NH4 traffic these days from Pune - Surur Phata in general and Khed Shivapur toll in particular.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th March 2012 at 17:12.
Old 17th March 2012, 00:26   #86
BHPian

I am also planning for a family outing on the same dates (23-25) and Dapoli is one of the places I want to take my family to.

I would like to know if there are any other places at shorter distances? Have a two kids with me, elder one just about 2 years and my son just above a year. So do not want to spend too much time on the road.

Please suggest ..
Old 17th March 2012, 13:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT
I am also planning for a family outing on the same dates (23-25) and Dapoli is one of the places I want to take my family to.

I would like to know if there are any other places at shorter distances? Have a two kids with me, elder one just about 2 years and my son just above a year. So do not want to spend too much time on the road.

Please suggest ..
Matheran would be a good option. Considering the exam season, it should not be as crowded as in peak season and not as hot as any beach location as well.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Matheran would be a good option. Considering the exam season, it should not be as crowded as in peak season and not as hot as any beach location as well.
Thanks!

Though Matheran is a good option, but with all the dust and lack of taking my car there for site seeing would make it a bit difficult. My parents are 65+ aged and for them to travel on horse backs would not be a good idea. :(
Old 18th March 2012, 17:35   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post

Please suggest ..
Dapoli is an excellent option.. You can go to my native place.. Kolthare. It is 18 kms from Dapoli and roads are not a problem for your ride.
There is a good resort in the place also (Pure veg ). Please pm me your number so I can give you the details. I can't pm you mine.. still a newbie.
cheers!
Old 18th March 2012, 22:45   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Dapoli is an excellent option.. You can go to my native place.. Kolthare. It is 18 kms from Dapoli and roads are not a problem for your ride.
There is a good resort in the place also (Pure veg ). Please pm me your number so I can give you the details. I can't pm you mine.. still a newbie.
cheers!
Hey buddy! Thanks! Will PM you my number.

Any idea of the climate there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks