Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 10:20   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If your question is on this route from Srirangapatna to Yelawala, I would say that its a mixed bag. Lots of broken sections, crater like potholes, two wheeler traffic and speedbreakers. If you drive a sedan, you might be better off taking mysore ring road.
Roads around these region, whether approached via SR Patna or KR Pet have always been this way I remember. We had once driven to Mysore via Hisirave - Shravanabelagola to reach a wedding hall closer to KRS and the last 15+ Kms after we deviated from KR Pet was really bad.

Considering all this, reaching Mysore ORR and driving all the way on the ORR till Ilwala makes sense and roads remain good.
Old 13th October 2020, 10:32   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Roads around these region, whether approached via SR Patna or KR Pet have always been this way I remember
True, this road has remained this way for the last 6-7 years IIRC. I usualy end up taking this route if i am driving after 9am as the traffic on ORR - Srirangapatna can be a little irritating. I dont have a lot of trouble dealing with bad sections or speed breakers Advantages of a ladder frame with decent suspension.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 10:35   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have a lot of trouble dealing with bad sections or speed breakers Advantages of a ladder frame with decent suspension.
LOL!! Actually bad roads are best dealt with a mindset. You are well aware that the roads are going to be bad, thats half battle won. You are taken by surprise that suddenly the roads are getting worse, that's where it gets you, including your kids and family complaining of neck pain and nausea due to the body roll and swaying motion.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 17:25   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would suggest you stick to Hunsur - Mysore route both ways as Kushalnagar - Ramanathapura is unnecessary detour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You want to have clean and peaceful roads, a slight detour from where you start shouldn't be an issue and I strongly suggest you take the Hassan highway till Bellur Cross (Nelligere) and reach Srirangapattana via Nagamangala - Pandavapura.

This stretch connecting Hassan highway to Srirangapattana is in prestine condition, widened fully a year before and devoid of much traffic too that it takes just about 60 Km to cover a distance of 65Km of this wide single carriageway road. And once you hit Srirangapattana, all it takes is 12-15 minutes to reach Columbia Asia signal where you turn right onto Mysuru ORR to head towards Ilwala - Hunsur.
Just back from a great weekend in Gonikoppal.

So to update on the road conditions.

Going we took the route as suggested by Parag. 4 lane to Belur cross was super. Then we turned left towards Pandavapura. Oh Man what a drive, butter smooth surface, very few villages in between, very little traffic, superb scenery and best of all NO SPEED BREAKERS
After Pandavapura the road surface deteriorates somewhat, the traffic increases and this gets worse till Mysore ring road. Traveled on the ring road to the exit towards Hunsur road which was OKish, and then onto Hunsur road. This was in poor shape with the top layer of tarmac come off in many places, potholes scattered around, a fair amount of traffic but one could do about 80 kmph or so with deft driving to avoid potholes.
The road then branches off towards Kushalnagar to the right and Gonikoppal to the Left. This road passes through wildlife areas and therefore there are speed breakers every 400 meters or so, making progress very slow. surface is not that bad but patchy. Total drive time was 6 hours from my house in CV Raman Nagar with breaks.

On the way back took a route which I am more familiar with. Gonikoppal to Piriapatna is super after the forest check post. Piriapatna to Arakalagud is a beautiful 2 lane highway with 2 toll collection booths. Few speed breakers but very scenic and light traffic. (Used to love the curves on a motorcycle). Arakalagud to Holenarsipur and CR Patna are good roads with the ever present speedbreakers. But surface is good with occasional potholes, again deft driving will allow you to keep the speed up. From CR Patna its again 4 lane super road. Took 5 hours with short breaks.

Both routes distance from my place was exactly the same, 272 kms. My choice is obvious, for stress free driving, less traffic, good road surface, great scenery throughout, it's the latter route.
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 08:21   #350

I am driving from Banglaore to Madikeri tomorrow. I stay around Bellandur. What's the best route to drive ? My preference would be nice roads and good scenery. I wouldn't mind driving few additional kms and some extra time.

Google maps suggested me multiple routes
- Mysore -> Hunsur -> Kushal nagar
- Ramnagara -> Chenna Patna -> Srirangapatna -> Hunsur -> Kushal nagar
- Nelamangala -> Kunigal -> Channanarayapattana -> Arakalagud -> Kudige -> Kushal nagar

What would be your recommendation ?
Old 1st December 2020, 09:39   #351
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for good scenery and twisties, the C R Patna , Arkalgud - KushalNagar will be hard to beat , especially the last hour, compared to the rest.

If time is of essence and if you’re able to leave early , then , the Srirangapatna-Hunsur - KushalNagar will be the faster
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:06   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suviswan View Post
I am driving from Banglaore to Madikeri tomorrow.
Quote:
Google maps suggested me multiple routes
- Mysore -> Hunsur -> Kushal nagar
- Ramnagara -> Chenna Patna -> Srirangapatna -> Hunsur -> Kushal nagar
- Nelamangala -> Kunigal -> Channanarayapattana -> Arakalagud -> Kudige -> Kushal nagar
Are you traveling to Madikeri or Kushalnagar? If Madikeri, I would recommend Nelamangala - Channarayapatna - Arakalagudu - Shanivarasante - Somawarapete - Madikeri.

Maps - https://goo.gl/maps/jeqZk8MPr2wT5MXV8
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:14   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Are you traveling to Madikeri or Kushalnagar? If Madikeri, I would recommend Nelamangala - Channarayapatna - Arakalagudu - Shanivarasante - Somawarapete - Madikeri.

Thanks. I am driving to Madikeri. I want to drive via scenic route with better roads. Time and distance is not that big constraint.
Old 1st December 2020, 13:23   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suviswan View Post
Thanks. I am driving to Madikeri. I want to drive via scenic route with better roads. Time and distance is not that big constraint.
Then take the Nelamangala - CR Patna - Arkalagud route mentioned in above posts.

Bangalore - Mysore stretch is currently a pain with the road expansion working going on. Forget about the scenery.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 15:13   #355

Any recommended / COCO petrol bunks in the Nelamangala - CR Patna - Arkalagud route ?
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:42   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

Hey! I also have an upcoming trip to Madikeri later this month. I had noted down this route from your other thread. That route you had taken looks very enticing !
Just to spice up things more, also wanted to include a slight deviation to SH121 from CR Patna to HN Pura instead of Google suggested route, ever since I had read about SH121 from @procrj's threads. So with this, the entire route from CR Patna to Madikeri should be one of the most scenic routes of all the other routes to Coorg I had taken previously!

Just one thing, How long it took from CR Patna to Madikeri ? Had you noticed any decent places for restroom breaks on this route ? I think the food part can be taken care at either CR Patna or Bellur Cross before entering SH121, its the restroom breaks that I need to take into account for ladies/kids.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 2nd December 2020 at 12:46.
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:01   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
So with this, the entire route from CR Patna to Madikeri should be one of the most scenic routes of all the other routes to Coorg I had taken previously!
Yes, this route is very scenic with good roads. You don't see much traffic and the occasional village traffic too is pretty disciplined compared to the other state highways.

Quote:
Just one thing, How long it took from CR Patna to Madikeri ? Had you noticed any decent places for restroom breaks on this route ? I think the food part can be taken care at either CR Patna or Bellur Cross before entering SH121, its the restroom breaks that I need to take into account for ladies/kids.
It usually takes 3.5 hours from CR Patna to Madikeri with breaks. Food must be taken care of before you leave the Mangalore highway. There are few small hotels at Shanivarasante and Somawarapete but have tried none.

Most of the fuel stations on this stretch have decent restrooms. The fuel station attendants generally allow you to use the restrooms even if you are not refueling with them. The restrooms in the Essar fuel stations are generally well maintained. There are couple of them - one between Holenarasipura and Arakalagudu and another one near Shanivarasante.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 09:02   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Hey! I also have an upcoming trip to Madikeri later this month. I had noted down this route from your other thread. That route you had taken looks very enticing !
Just to spice up things more, also wanted to include a slight deviation to SH121 from CR Patna to HN Pura instead of Google suggested route, ever since I had read about SH121 from @procrj's threads. So with this, the entire route from CR Patna to Madikeri should be one of the most scenic routes of all the other routes to Coorg I had taken previously!

I took the route Bangalore -> CR Patna -> Arakalagudu -> Shanivarasante -> Somawarapete -> Madikeri. The roads are good till Arakalgudu. After that there are a lot of patches and pot holes. Need to drive care fully. But you will enjoy the drive as it has a lot of curves and the roads are also bit narrow. But almost no traffic. We stopped at petrol bunks in CR Patna, Arakalagudu and Sowvarpete for bio breaks. It took approximately 2:30 hours from CR Patna to Madikeri (just driving hours)

On return i took Madikeri -> Kushal Nagar -> Arakalagudu -> CR Patna -> Bangalore. The roads are pretty good all the way except few kms. But a lot of traffic as it was Saturday
suviswan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 18:47   #359
BHPian

Hi,
The planning for Nelamangala>CRPatna>Arkalgud>Kushalnagar>Madikeri next week.

Till CRPatna it should be fine. After that any insights on the road conditions? Up to Kushalnagar via Arkalgud.

Arkalgud to Kushalnagar, are there route options or one straight road?

Are there good restroom options especially between CRPatna and Kushalnagar?
Old 6th December 2020, 19:06   #360
BHPian

I did a Mangalore - Madikeri - Channarayapatna - Bangalore in late October (as part of my return from Goa). I did not face any issues with the roads in this stretch on my Jazz.

Regarding rest stops, there is one CCD near Belur on NH-75 (you can get its location by searching for CCD Belur). After that, the only place I had identified as a rest stop was the CCD just before Madikeri. Belur-Madikeri is about 164 km (you should be able to cover it in 3-3.5 hours driving conservatively).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Hi,
The planning for Nelamangala>CRPatna>Arkalgud>Kushalnagar>Madikeri next week.

Till CRPatna it should be fine. After that any insights on the road conditions? Up to Kushalnagar via Arkalgud.

Arkalgud to Kushalnagar, are there route options or one straight road?

Are there good restroom options especially between CRPatna and Kushalnagar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks