Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Pune - Indore : Route Queries

Hi friends,
I am planning a trip to Indore (from Pune) on one of the long weekends of September. I have searched for routes on Google maps (attached below) and have the following routes in mind:

Route A: Pune - Nasik - Dhule - Julwania - Indore
Route B: Pune - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad - Edalabad - Burhanpur - Indore

The first route is a national highway while the second is state highways only.

I am travelling with family and therefore will drive only during day-time.

Request any advice on the following:
1. Road condition (I have read a few posts on the Edalabad - Buhanpur - Indore section, however I am not sure of the Pune to Edalabad section. Also unsure of the latest position of the NH3; is this now 4-laned?)
2. Facilities (Fuel, food etc)
3. Safety
4. Traffic (This I'm sure will be higher on NH3)

Since this is my first long drive, I am a little skeptical. I have already read the posts on what to carry and am getting this list actioned. Any advice on car checks etc will also help me. I will be driving my Getz.

I have looked the route on Google maps and distance-wise they seem almost equidistant.

Route A:
Pune - Indore : Route Queries-pune-indore-via-nh3.jpg

Route B:
Pune - Indore : Route Queries-pune-indore-via-edalabad.jpg
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Why don't you check with some of the bus operators who operate from Pune to Indore. I've travelled from Indore to Pune a couple of times - a few years ago. The only way points I remember on that road are Ahmednagar and Shirdi.
The buses were sleeper ones and used to leave Indore and Pune around 6 in the evening and reach the destinations in the mornings.

I remeber - because A'nagar/Shirdi used to be the stops for breaks and rest of the times I was asleep
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:49   #3
BANNED

I did route A a few years back twice. Excellent roads.

We were easily doing 110+ in my old Carb Zen. Speed dropped by about 15kph once we entered MP!!! I hear that the Agra Bombay road has been upgraded a lot since then.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd September 2009 at 16:52.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:16   #4

Ptushar, I recently did this trip and can tell you that the roads between Dhule and Nasik is not very good since there is road work going on all over. Plus road via Nasik is longer. While coming back from Indore I did
Indore>>Dhule>>Aurangabad>>>Ahmednagar>>>Pune

This road is much better and in a very good condition, although you will still see construction happening after Dule but its not bad.

I will suggest from Pune go to Ahmednagar then go to Aurangabad then to Dhule then on to Sendhwa to Mhow and to Indore.
This road is much better and if I remember this correctly the distance would be in the range of 600-650 kms and you can easily do it in one day. Best of luck
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:56   #5

Quote:
Route A: Pune - Nasik - Dhule - Julwania - Indore
The Khalghat -Indore section on 85 Kms is four laned now. Also there is work in progress between Khalghat and Sendhwa (Around 45) Kms. Last I know Nasik-Malegaon Section is also four laned. I think the NH3 route will be better considering the route conditions after monsoons.

Also there is one more alternate route you can try. This route was followed by bus operators in Pune Indore sector. This is Pune-Ahmednagar (110 Kms Four lane)-Shirdi (Four laning WIP)-Manmad-Malegaon-Dhule-Sendhwa-Julwania-Khalgaht-Indore. This route shld be around 600 Kms. and Road conditions may be good. People in Pune, Dhule area can give better update on road condition on MH sector of this route.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
I will suggest from Pune go to Ahmednagar then go to Aurangabad then to Dhule then on to Sendhwa to Mhow and to Indore.
This road is much better and if I remember this correctly the distance would be in the range of 600-650 kms and you can easily do it in one day. Best of luck
Thanks Armyman. Just checked the distance. The distance only marginally increases by 13 kms. However if the road condition is good then its all worth it.

What about the roads from Aurangabad to Edalabad? This passes through Ajanta caves, which I presume would be a hot tourist destination. Are the roads good on this section?
If the traffic is lower on the Aurangabad - Burhanpur - Indore route AND the roads are good then I would want to try this one.
Old 4th September 2009, 18:44   #7
BHPian

It is better to take the Aurangabad- Burhanpur route. It is preferred by bus operators also. I went last year and did both the routes. I went from Aurangabad to Dhule (stayed overnight) and reached Indore next morning. I returned via Burhanpur. On the way via Burhanpur don't miss seeing the majestic Aseergadh fort which is along the highway. Even from the base of this tall fort one can see the bastions very clearly.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
T
What about the roads from Aurangabad to Edalabad? This passes through Ajanta caves, which I presume would be a hot tourist destination. Are the roads good on this section?
If the traffic is lower on the Aurangabad - Burhanpur - Indore route AND the roads are good then I would want to try this one.
Aurangabad-Ajanta-Jalgaon road is good. So is the route via Burhanpur.
Old 4th September 2009, 23:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Hi friends,

Route B: Pune - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad - Edalabad - Burhanpur - Indore
On this route road conditions are good. I am not sure of Ahmednagar-Aurangabad stretch but rest of the route has good roads. Please not the facilities are not good between Edalabad and Indore. May be HVK can give you more details on road condition on this stretch.
Old 5th September 2009, 15:15   #10
BHPian

Ahmednagar and Aurangabad is being converted to four laning and was almost done when I drove six months back. Theer is little traffic and one can travel quickly and safely once out of Ahmednagar. Keep 30 min to pass thro A'nagar however as there is no bypass yet.
Old 5th September 2009, 16:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

I did this trip last year and the route I had taken was "Pune - Ahmadnagar - Aurangabad - Pahur - Jamner - Bodwad - Muktainagar (Edlabad) - Burhanpur - Indore". The roads were good throughout except for the stretches under construction mostly between Pune - Ahdmadnagar. Even most of that should be in good shape by now.

You can read about the whole trip here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...k-1306-km.html

If you need the trip log, let me know and I will send it across. I am planning to drive again this Diwali.
Old 5th September 2009, 20:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
It is better to take the Aurangabad- Burhanpur route... ...On the way via Burhanpur don't miss seeing the majestic Aseergadh fort which is along the highway. Even from the base of this tall fort one can see the bastions very clearly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Aurangabad-Ajanta-Jalgaon road is good. So is the route via Burhanpur.
Thanks hvkumar and frequentflyer for the info. This helps. I will take the Bhurhanpur route on my way to Indore. While coming back, I have just been informed by my parents that I need to visit a village near Julwania, so no choice but to take the NH3 on my way back. Well, the positive side is that I can come back and write a quick travelouge on both the routes.

frequentflyer, I will certainly lookout for the fort. I know that this is going to be photo stop for the family. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
You can read about the whole trip here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...k-1306-km.html

If you need the trip log, let me know and I will send it across. I am planning to drive again this Diwali.
pjbiju, went through your travelogue. Its excellent and quite informative. The route for me is very much finalised. Thanks.
Will PM you for the trip log. That will be useful indeed.
I have a few questions on where you purchased the equipment that you have mentioned in your post, which I have posted on the same thread. Appreciate if you could let me know.

Thank you folks.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:35   #13
BHPian

Indore via Aurangabad-Ajanta is a good option. Not sure about Pahur-Muktainagar section though. I have done this via Jalgaon-Raver & Jalgaon-Muktainagar which are good roads.
Indore via Shirdi-Dhulia is not bad either, except patches between Nagar - Shirdi & Khalghat - Indore.
Pls share you experience once done. This would help us choose better option while driving in future.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:32   #14
BHPian

Hello Ptushar,
Have you completed your trip to Indore? If so, would appreciate if you share latest road condition on Pune-Indore via NH3 (Shirdi-Dhule) and also between Indore-Burhanpur.

Regards
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:10   #15
BHPian

I did Pune-Indore stretch this past week, and observed following issues:
- Nagar - Shirdi road widening is still not complete. I had seen work in May 2008 as well.
- Flyover in progress in Dhule city at junction of NH-3 and NH-6 (I got stuck for 45 mins!)
- MP stretch of NH-3 is bad till Khalghat. Morevoer - there are couple of narrow bridges and there is always a chance of traffic jam (I go stuck at one of them for 30 mins)

Khalghat-Indore is a good experience now. You do not have to enter Mhow, and also the old ghat section is no more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks