Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 17:49   #121
BHPian

re: Pune - Indore : Route Queries

Hi there,

Welcome to Indore in Monsoon !

Pune to Indore is a straight forward 24 hrs open road. It is explained in detail in this post itself.

As for site seeing.

Day1 : Mahakaleshwar and Shipra Darshan. In ujjain you can visit many other temples too and complete the entire day there (Kaal Bhairav / Mangalnath / Harsiddhi Mata)

Alternatively , after Mahakaal Darshan you can move to Omkareshwar which is directly opposite to it. Both can be done comfortably in a day provided you leave by 7 AM and are willing to return by 10-11 PM depending on what time you spend.

Day2 : Maheshwar : You can plan darshan as well as site seeing. Patalpani is a water fall and other water falls can be managed enroute (Slight Diversions)

Day 3 : You can give the entire day Mandu . Leave early. Return late as it is 100 kms on not so good route. You will have to travel 70-80 kms on Pune Road to move towards Mandu as it is alternative route that is the best to go.

Please visit : If foodie : 56 Shops (56 Dukaan) , Sarafa at nite ,
If Histroy freek : Rajbada, Lalabaugh Palace,
If Traveling : Mandu, Sitla mata fall, kajligarh ka killa & Regional Park
bhavtol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:31   #122
BHPian

Planning a Mumbai indore Bhopal journey in 1st week of October. Mumbai nasik malegaon dhule indore Bhopal is the proposed route. Would be nice if someone who has done this route tell me the best possible route for this journey, any bad or slow patches on this route. How is indore Bhopal road? Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 22:20   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Planning a Mumbai indore Bhopal journey in 1st week of October. Mumbai nasik malegaon dhule indore Bhopal is the proposed route. Would be nice if someone who has done this route tell me the best possible route for this journey, any bad or slow patches on this route. How is indore Bhopal road? Thanks

a. Road from Mumbai to Indore is good. At Some places the road surface is rough but nothing major. 24 hrs motorable 4 laned roads throughout.

b. Indore Bhopal is again 4 laned beautiful route with tolls. Indore Byepass is a mess rite now and while coming from Mumbai and going to Bhopal you may take this, being under construction it will slow you down a bit but not a headache all together. IDR-BPL is max 3hrs by route (190 kms) with good food options (but lesser stay options enroute)

Hope it helps
bhavtol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 18:29   #124
BHPian

Hello All,

Just did Indore - Pune trip(and back) on the Dussehra weekend.

Took the following route both ways

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Kopergaon - Manmad - Malegaon - Dhule - Sendhwa - Mhow - Indore

Took me 11 hour's including 1 hour break. Left at around 5 in the morning both ways and made it at around 4 in the afternoon.

Good roads throughout, apart from the approach / departure route from Shirdi and the Ahmednagar MIDC bypass. Also the road from Shirdi onwards till Malegaon is a single lane with on coming traffic with division at few places.

Best Regards,
Somitra
Old 13th October 2014, 23:42   #125
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning a Pune – Bhopal – Mumbai – Pune drive during the Christmas break. I have a wedding to attend in Bhopal on 28th, and the break gives me a perfect opportunity for a long drive. Considering I will be driving with family, I am looking at the following travel plan:

Day 1: Pune – Indore?? I am looking for a 10-12 hour drive, and retire for the night. Is Pune-Indore feasible in 12 hours, with adequate breaks? I am keen to cover majority of the distance on day 1, so that we would be fresh for the next day, with not much of a drive…

Day 2: Indore – Bhopal (4 hours)

Day 3: Wedding

Day 4: Bhopal – Nashik (same considerations as day 1)

Day 5: Nashik – Mumbai

Day 6: Mumbai – Pune

The focus of the trip is just to enjoy the drive, and attend the wedding. Other interesting places will have to wait.

All feedback on road conditions, places to eat and stay and other do’s and don’ts is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 14th October 2014, 01:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Friends,

I am planning a Pune – Bhopal – Mumbai – Pune drive during the Christmas break. I have a wedding to attend in Bhopal on 28th, and the break gives me a perfect opportunity for a long drive. Considering I will be driving with family, I am looking at the following travel plan:

Day 1: Pune – Indore?? I am looking for a 10-12 hour drive, and retire for the night. Is Pune-Indore feasible in 12 hours, with adequate breaks? I am keen to cover majority of the distance on day 1, so that we would be fresh for the next day, with not much of a drive…

The focus of the trip is just to enjoy the drive, and attend the wedding. Other interesting places will have to wait.

All feedback on road conditions, places to eat and stay and other do’s and don’ts is appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello,

1 This is feasible but would take some 13 hours of tiresome driving. NH 3 is a busy highway. Instead if you feel you could not make it to Indore, plan a stop at dhamnod.

2. Indore to bhopal is 4 laned road. Hardly a 3 hour drive. You could do the whole drive in 5 hours if you halt at Dhamnod on day 1, just in case

3. Bhopal to nashik, same as 1. You will have to plan a stop midway around malegaon. Just be ready to take halt rather than pushing yourself, its a holiday, meant tobe enjoyed.

In any case you need any help in Indore let me know.

Thanks.
Old 14th October 2014, 08:52   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 1: Pune – Indore?? I am looking for a 10-12 hour drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
...This is feasible but would take some 13 hours of tiresome driving. NH 3 is a busy highway. Instead if you feel you could not make it to Indore, plan a stop at dhamnod...
+1 to @mercedised. I just did Pune <-> Indore about ten days ago. While returning, I started at about 9AM from Maheshwar (~90kms before Indore, near Dhamnod) and reached home (east Pune) about 8:30PM with few breaks and Election Commission check near Malegaon. The drive to Nashik some, 375kms, was breeze. But, beyond that to Pune, it was not so enjoyable and took me ~6hours for last 200kms.

Had taken, Nagar-Shirdi road while going and some ~50-60kms stretch near Shirdi is bad. Hence, avoided it while returning.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 14th October 2014 at 08:56.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:24   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hello,

1 This is feasible but would take some 13 hours of tiresome driving. NH 3 is a busy highway. Instead if you feel you could not make it to Indore, plan a stop at dhamnod.

3. Bhopal to nashik, same as 1. You will have to plan a stop midway around malegaon. Just be ready to take halt rather than pushing yourself, its a holiday, meant tobe enjoyed.

In any case you need any help in Indore let me know.

Thanks.
@mercedised, appreciate your inputs. It would be good to keep the options open, I agree. However, in the peak vacation season, would it be advisable not to book ahead, when you are traveling with family?

Another point I forgot to mention - my wife can drive, and does drive everyday. So she would take up the driving for couple of hours, easily. It's the kids that I am worried about.

Any pointers for stay in Dhamnod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
The drive to Nashik some, 375kms, was breeze. But, beyond that to Pune, it was not so enjoyable and took me ~6hours for last 200kms.
-BJ
Yes, I am aware of the vagaries of Pune-Nashik road. Hence I will start from Pune early (latest by 6am), and on the way back, I am bypassing it since I have to go to Mumbai anyway.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mercedised, appreciate your inputs. It would be good to keep the options open, I agree. However, in the peak vacation season, would it be advisable not to book ahead, when you are traveling with family?
You donot need any bookings. Dhamnod is a small town, you would find only average hotels. There is a Tourist Motel in Khalghat (a town 15 kms before Dhamnod), that would be a fairly nice place to stay.

If two of you are driving then you can reach Indore. I did Pune-Indore some years back in 12 hours with bike and roads at that time were okay. In Indore, there are plenty of Hotels, on the interior AB Road itself, Silver Oaks, Kings Park are good but a little expensive around 1.5-2.5k.

Last edited by mercedised : 14th October 2014 at 11:47.
Old 26th October 2014, 15:48   #130
BHPian

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a Bangalore - Indore trip around 7 November, with a stopover around Pune. We plan to start from Bangalore around 5 AM and reach Pune around 7-8 PM, then halt overnight at Pune and start for Indore the next day at 5 or 6 AM.

We have a few questions:

1) Which route is better for Pune -> Malegaon -> Indore if we will be starting around 5AM:
Pune - Ahmednagar - Rahuri - Kopargaon - Malegaon
(this seems to be the most recommended route)
or
Pune - Narayangaon - Sangamner - Kopargaon - Malegaon
or
Pune - Nashik - Malegaon

1b) Does it really take about 5h30 - 6 hours to reach Malegaon?

2) What's a good place to stay overnight in Pune?
(Ginger and Coccoon were two hotels suggested earlier in the thread, but they are on opposite sides of Pune and I guess where to stay depends on which route to take?)

3) What are the best stopping points on the route for food and break?

4) We plan to start back from Indore on Friday the next week. I guess we'll be getting into Pune around 7-8 in the evening. Again, which route is better entering Pune, and what's a good place to stay to continue onwards to Bangalore.

Also, does anyone know how long the Shell pumps are open in Pune or what time they open in the morning?

Thanks in advance,
Anand
Old 26th October 2014, 17:01   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Hello all,
1) Which route is better for Pune -> Malegaon -> Indore if we will be starting around 5AM:
Pune - Ahmednagar - Rahuri - Kopargaon - Malegaon is the best option
Quote:
Yes, it would take approx 5.5 hrs from Pune. Infact you will not touch Malegaon. You will hit the NH3 around 4-5 km before Malegaon and NH3 bypassess Malegaon
Quote:
(Ginger and Coccoon were two hotels suggested earlier in the thread, but they are on opposite sides of Pune and I guess where to stay depends on which route to take?)
Ginger is on Bangalore - Mumbai highway where as Coccon is in Magarpatta city. There are others like Ibis on Nagar road
As you are coming from Bangalore side. Better to stay at Coccoon or somewhere on Nagar rd
[quote ]
[/quote]
First stop for food /break can be at Smilestone around 25 km before Nagar

Number of decent places around Shirdi

Near Indore , after crossing Narmada you get Foodies
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 22:44   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I am planning a Pune – Bhopal – Mumbai – Pune drive during the Christmas break. Considering I will be driving with family, I am looking at the following travel plan:

Day 1: Pune – Indore?? I am looking for a 10-12 hour drive, and retire for the night. Is Pune-Indore feasible in 12 hours, with adequate breaks?

>> 12 Hours are more than sufficient for Pune - Indore. Did this route on 26th Sep this year. Was travelling with a four year old kid and parents. Took sufficient breaks.

If you are planning to go via Sangamner, then the road condition is not all that good. It is patchy and single lane. Right from Rajgurunagar until you hit NH3.

>> Which car??
Though you have mentioned "Other interesting places will have to wait", yet would like to suggest that if you get a chance, do visit Gargoti stone museum in Sinnar MIDC. It is unlike any other muesum!

>> Have only the usual suggestions:
1. Keep yourself and everyone with you hydrated.
2. Take sufficient breaks.
3. Keep a tool kit, torch and towing rope handy. Also, keep a couple of Goodnights/All-outs with you when for the night.
4. Don't know if pomegranates will still be in season, yet, at Malegoan turn off you get real good pomegranates at Rs.100 for 3 KG.

Thanks!
Except for Mumbai - Pune, haven't got a chance to drive on any of the above routes you have mentioned. So not sure. However, from what I have heard is Nasik - Mumbai is a good four lane road.

Have a safe journey!
Old 26th October 2014, 23:39   #133
BHPian

Thanks mm403.

Another question: which route is better while entering Pune from the south around 7 PM - via Katraj Ghat Road or NH4 -> Mumbai-Pune Bypass road.
Old 27th October 2014, 00:40   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a Bangalore - Indore trip around 7 November, with a stopover around Pune. We plan to start from Bangalore around 5 AM and reach Pune around 7-8 PM, then halt overnight at Pune and start for Indore the next day at 5 or 6 AM.

We have a few questions:

(this seems to be the most recommended route)
or
Pune - Narayangaon - Sangamner - Kopargaon - Malegaon
or
Pune - Nashik - Malegaon

4) We plan to start back from Indore on Friday the next week. I guess we'll be getting into Pune around 7-8 in the evening. Again, which route is better entering Pune, and what's a good place to stay to continue onwards to Bangalore.

Also, does anyone know how long the Shell pumps are open in Pune or what time they open in the morning?

Thanks in advance,
Anand
1) Pune - Ahmednagar - Rahuri - Kopargaon - Malegaon is the best route.
Roads are not good for 10 kms before and after Shirdi but manageable.
Rest this is the best route and also used by Pune- Indore Buses.

2) Stay in Cocoon as its on the "within Pune" route from Bangalore to Indore. You enter Pune through Katraj Ghat- Katraj- Swargate-Hadapsar-Magarpatta-Cocoon. Its in Magarpatta city. Food is not so great.

Next day Cocoon- Ahmednagar road (4-5kms)- Ahmednagar-Rahuri....

3) Bangalore to Pune takes 14+ hours especially for people like me who drive at 80-90 kmph speed. This offcourse is with minimum break times for breakfast, food and nature breaks. Enter Pune from the Katraj Ghat route. Its very easy to miss this small opening before pune on the road going from above which leads to Katraj Ghat. If you miss this it takes unnecessary more time as you plan to travel East once in Pune to reach Magarpatta.

4) The fuel pumps are place quite some distance apart on the Bangalore- Pune road (Within Karnataka territory) so plan properly.

5) Once you enter Maharashtra expect the toll rates and the road users to increase exponentially. Highways in Maharashtra pass through towns leading to many villagers using the roads so be carefull. I would say cover faster the distances upto Maharashtra Boundary then be a bit slow. Start early it really benefits to be a early starter.

Beware of unmarked Speedbreakers. I always have a habit of jumping my car over them

6) Kamaths are the best place for eateries.

7) Pune- Indore route takes 12-13 hours. Count 1 hour extra to enter Indore city considering the traffic.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:24   #135
BHPian

@ObsessedByFIAT, thanks for your inputs. I would be driving an innova.

I am contemplating a change in route/plan. I may start on the earlier evening, and will stay in Thane for the night. That would help me in two ways - I don't have to contend with Pune - Nashik or Pune - A'nagar - Malegaon stretch, and my long 12 hour travel gets split as 3 + 10 hours.

Will keep the thread updated with the changes as I go ahead...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks