Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:00   #136
BHPian

re: Pune - Indore : Route Queries

Thanks amit_purohit20.

Looks like we'll be getting into Pune earlier than planned (around 4 or 5 in the evening).

We were wondering if it's easier to take the expressway towards Panvel, cut across to NH3 and then take the NH3 to Nasik, Dhule instead. It adds 90 km but seems to take the same amount of time according to Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/CFjT4

Also, we could probably continue towards Lonavla or Ahmednagar instead of halting at Pune - wondering it that's a good idea).

Any advice?
gadiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 17:40   #137
Team-BHP Support

Just back from a Bangalore-Bhopal-Bangalore road-trip.

Word of caution: Anyone taking the route via Ahmednagar, drive the Ahmednagar bypass through the MIDC area at your own risk. The entire bypass stretch has no roads (just sharp stones thrown roughly together), and is sheer torture for your machine.

If you happen to run Michelins or a similar soft compound tyre, pray like crazy before driving this bit. I know I did, and cursed myself afterwards. No permanent damage though, which is probably just random luck. I'd rather waste time in traffic in the main city that risk tyre damage on a road-trip.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:04   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Word of caution: Anyone taking the route via Ahmednagar, drive the Ahmednagar bypass through the MIDC area at your own risk. The entire bypass stretch has no roads (just sharp stones thrown roughly together), and is sheer torture for your machine.
I take this option:Nagar Bypass

Works well.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:14   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Hello All,

Just did Indore - Pune trip(and back) on the Dussehra weekend.

Took the following route both ways

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Kopergaon - Manmad - Malegaon - Dhule - Sendhwa - Mhow - Indore

Took me 11 hour's including 1 hour break. Left at around 5 in the morning both ways and made it at around 4 in the afternoon.

Good roads throughout, apart from the approach / departure route from Shirdi and the Ahmednagar MIDC bypass. Also the road from Shirdi onwards till Malegaon is a single lane with on coming traffic with division at few places.

Best Regards,
Somitra
Hey - good to read about your trip, can you pls post details of eateries/ restaurants etc. along the way. Also any major road diversions/blocks etc. that one should be careful of, since you have done this trip very recently?
Old 16th December 2014, 20:37   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Hey - good to read about your trip, can you pls post details of eateries/ restaurants etc. along the way. Also any major road diversions/blocks etc. that one should be careful of, since you have done this trip very recently?
Well here's what i remember :

1.) Pune - Ahmednagar : Smilestone (it has a Cafe Coffee Day as well) around 100 KM's from Pune and around 25 Km's before Ahmednagar. Good for breakfast. Decent toilets.

2.) Ahmednagar - Shirdi : Couple of Kamat's enroute, should have decent food and toilets. Though i have not used them personally. Offcourse you can take a break at Shirdi, which has a lot of options.

3.) Couple of eatries have cropped up near Dhule, this is post joining NH3 at Malegaon. They all look the same, look pretty new, not tried personally though.

4.) Around 80 - 100 KM's before Indore you would see another joint to your left, its a hot spot for catching up on local snacks. Just cannot remember the name. Decent food and toilets. There were some eatries between Sendhwa and Indore as well which looked decent.

Roads are all good throughout apart from the below hiccups :

1.) Pathetic Approach / departure route to / from Shirdi

2.) Single lane nuisance from Shirdi to Malegaon till you join NH3, road is ok though

3.) Ahmednagar MIDC by pass is awful, as has already been discussed
Old 18th December 2014, 18:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to avoid this stretch while going from shirdi to ahmednagar ?
Old 18th December 2014, 18:27   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to avoid this stretch while going from shirdi to ahmednagar ?
Ampere suggested an alternative a few posts above. Also, if your're driving odd hours (early morning or late evening), it's not a bad idea to go through town either. I went through town on my onward journey around 6.30 AM, no hiccups.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 18:31   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post

Well the only other way I know is going through Ahmednagar city. In the wee hours going through the city should not be a problem, the issue is during peak hour traffic.
somitra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 20:58   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Well here's what i remember :

1.) Pune - Ahmednagar : Smilestone (it has a Cafe Coffee Day as well) around 100 KM's from Pune and around 25 Km's before Ahmednagar. Good for breakfast. Decent toilets.

2.) Ahmednagar - Shirdi : Couple of Kamat's enroute, should have decent food and toilets. Though i have not used them personally. Offcourse you can take a break at Shirdi, which has a lot of options.

3.) Couple of eatries have cropped up near Dhule, this is post joining NH3 at Malegaon. They all look the same, look pretty new, not tried personally
though.

4.) Around 80 - 100 KM's before Indore you would see another joint to your left, its a hot spot for catching up on local snacks. Just cannot remember the name. Decent food and toilets. There were some eatries between Sendhwa and Indore as well which looked decent.

Roads are all good throughout apart from the below hiccups :

1.) Pathetic Approach / departure route to / from Shirdi

2.) Single lane nuisance from Shirdi to Malegaon till you join NH3, road is ok though

Latest updates : Did this route again on 02nd/03rd Jan 2015.

Final approach to Shirdi from Ahmednagar side has been patched up, so is in a much better state now, patch work was in progress as well. Widening and patch work in progress on the departure from Shirdi towards Malegaon side as well.

Ahmednagar MIDC bypass was in the usual bad state, however took the same to avoid afternoon traffic in the city. Good news is that work is on to put the road in order, parts of it have been relaid, but mostly patch work is being done. Due to the work being done the, the road has been reduced to one side at some places. We had to return back and take a detour as a bigger vehicle probably a truck had failed blocking the already narrow road.

Name of eateries near Indore -
Foodie And MTDC restaurant (run by private operator) : 80 Kms from Indore at Khalghat, near the toll plaza. One is before and one is after the toll plaza, depending on the side you are approaching from.
somitra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:38   #145
BHPian

+1 to the joint "Foodie" - 80 Kms from Indore at Khalghat, near the toll plaza. We took lunch there. They have reasonable Thali. But, there is also a separate family place inside.

Don't forget to pack the cheese vegetable sandwiches, they are pretty decent. The adjacent shop has pretty much all the required snacks/biscuits/coke etc..
Old 7th January 2015, 13:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

While approaching the ahmednagar bypass from Pune, are there any sign-boards to indicate the bypass section to shirdi or NH-3...which I need to keep a look out for?
In Google Maps, I saw a Swastik Chowk detour, is this the one going to Shirdi?
Old 7th January 2015, 13:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
While approaching the ahmednagar bypass from Pune, are there any sign-boards to indicate the bypass section to shirdi or NH-3...which I need to keep a look out for?
In Google Maps, I saw a Swastik Chowk detour, is this the one going to Shirdi?
Well it is quite clearly marked in a standard big blue sign board on your left. Bypass starts around 7 km's before Ahmednagar if approaching fron Pune and around 13 km's before Ahmednagar if approaching from Shirdi.
somitra1981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:01   #148
Senior - BHPian

Thanks
So am all set to drive down to Bhopal this weekend.
Route finalized : START from Pune (Warje) > Ahmednagar > Shirdi > Malegaon > Dhule > Sendhwa > Dhamnod > Indore > Dodi > Bhopal > RETURN via same route.

Have prepared an xls with enroute cities, restaurants, and some detour options with distances between them. Will update and post it once I am back to Pune next week.
Intend to start at 0500 and reach by 1900 same day.
Old 10th February 2015, 23:36   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
Route finalized : START from Pune (Warje) > Ahmednagar > Shirdi > Malegaon > Dhule > Sendhwa > Dhamnod > Indore > Dodi > Bhopal > RETURN via same route.

Hey guys
Planning for a trip to Indore on the 17th feb. The route suggested by google seems to be similar to your route can you let us know the current conditions. I will be leaving from Mumbai instead of Pune though.
Thanks in advance.
Old 17th February 2015, 14:51   #150

Quote:
Thanks

Have prepared an xls with enroute cities, restaurants, and some detour options with distances between them. Will update and post it once I am back to Pune next week.
Intend to start at 0500 and reach by 1900 same day.
JoshMachine, I hope you had a good trip to Bhopal! Would request you to update on your experience - route, travel time, road conditions, pit stop suggestions

I will also be taking this trip in early April, hence need your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks