Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2015, 00:41   #241
BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess the best route would be Trivandrum - Cochin - Coimbatore byepass - Annur - Metupalayam - Ooty. This will help you avoiding Coimbatore city traffic.

Mpksuhas .. I was looking for route info on Coonoor to Dindigul stretch, and after fishing around at various locations found this to be optimal solution:
(Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul)

Would like to get idea on how are various sections on this stretch?
Or any other deviations work better?

Let me know if anyone has insights on these.

Thanks!
Old 26th December 2015, 17:09   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
([i]Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul
s!
Mettupalayam - Annur is a good road, I had driven through that route last year and also a friend of mine did that few months ago.

There was a report about Coonoor Metupalayam going bad in some thread, not sure about the conditions though.

Regarding best route to Dindugal, I am not sure of the conditions past Palladam.

Also, I think the fastest route from Annur towards Avinash will be Annur - SH 165 - Avinash bypass. Apart from the slightly U turn looking turn from Annur the road is very much devoid of any deviations. It will come and join NH 47 below a road over bridge. This may be the fastest route since you will avoid driving via Annur town.

From there SH 166 to Palladam is also good. However past that I am not sure of the road conditions.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 11:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taxis are easily available. Last June I paid ~1200 for a 35 km distance. Vythiri is approximately 90 km from the Airport. So expect a charge of at least 3500-4000. Also, most of the Airport Taxis are Ambassadors and they go in a sequence. So not sure if you can be guaranteed to get an Indica. Cannot expect any other vehicle (say an Etios or a Fiesta).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Whoa, I dont think the cost will be this high. Should definitely be below 2k. I have a driver whom I call frequently to drive my Jeep. Give me some time, i'll quote the prices from Major towns in Wayanad to the Airport/Railway station in Calicut.
FYI, I had a hatchback taxi arranged from Calicut airport to the homestay (5km down from Vythiri) by a local travel company, cost us 2k for the journey. The name of the agency was Vishnumaya Travels, Kalpetta. Our local host managed to arrange it.

Thanks for the inputs.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 16:51   #244
BHPian

Quote:
.. after fishing around at various locations found this to be optimal solution:
(Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Mettupalayam - Annur is a good road, I had driven through that route last year and also a friend of mine did that few months ago.

There was a report about Coonoor Metupalayam going bad in some thread, not sure about the conditions though.
Took the above route with a little modification.
After Annur didn't go towards Avinashi, instead took direct road towards Palladam after Annur (GM shows its to be SH165).
Got some input from my hotel owner at Coonoor about the route and took the plunge, the road turned out be very good without much traffic either.

Otherwise also didn't face many bad stretches all the way till Oddanchatram.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 10:21   #245
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took the above route with a little modification.
After Annur didn't go towards Avinashi, instead took direct road towards Palladam after Annur (GM shows its to be SH165).
Looks like you've taken the Annur-Mangalam-Palladam route which is in good condition (this passes below the NH47 on the Avinashi bypass section).
The Mangalam road was our regular route for Bangalore-Pollachi-Palakkad till a few months ago.
Old 13th January 2016, 00:24   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like you've taken the Annur-Mangalam-Palladam route which is in good condition (this passes below the NH47 on the Avinashi bypass section).
No .. not the route through Mangalam, that was the original plan.
Here is link for route I am talking about, comparing on GM its looking almost same distance to the one through Mangalam.
Old 14th January 2016, 20:15   #247
BHPian

Quote:
No .. not the route through Mangalam, that was the original plan.
Here is link for route I am talking about, comparing on GM its looking almost same distance to the one through Mangalam.
That's the Karumathampatti-Karanampettai road. I believe it was a little rough earlier. Good to know that it is decent now - one more option!
Old 9th March 2016, 13:22   #248
BHPian

I am planning for a trip to Wayanad, specifically the Vythiri area during end of April, first week of May. Can somebody please let me know how the weather is going to be at this time of the year? I know the calicut area would be too hot, but is it the same in Wayanad as well?

Information available online is quite confusing, so I am looking forward to some first hand information from people who have visited wayanad earlier in this season or some locals.

PS: I would be travelling from Bangalore.
Old 9th March 2016, 14:10   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I am planning for a trip to Wayanad, specifically the Vythiri area during end of April, first week of May. Can somebody please let me know how the weather is going to be at this time of the year? I know the calicut area would be too hot, but is it the same in Wayanad as well?
Expect it to be very hot during the day time. Nights may be cooler, but don't expect Hill Station kind of cold.

Wayanad is not at that high an altitude, so it will not escape the peak of the Kerala Summer.

Note: I am not a local, drive regularly via Wayanad to Calicut. Input based on that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 14:18   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Information available online is quite confusing, so I am looking forward to some first hand information from people who have visited wayanad earlier in this season or some locals.

February to May is generally the hottest season in Kerala - including Wayanad. You do get the occasional pre-monsoon showers once in a while which cools down things for a few days, but in spite of that it would be fairly hot during the daytime if you're out in the sun. Not as bad as it would be in Calicut (or even Bangalore these days) though.

Evenings and nights tend to be cooler - thanks to the plentiful vegetation that you'll see all around. And most resorts tend to have a lot of greenery around, so that makes it quite pleasant.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 18:32   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Climate, I'd say will be exactly same as Bangalore. With a little bit of greenery thrown in.

At noon it'll be really sunny and hot, but dry. And at night it'll be cool.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:25   #252
BHPian

Planned a trip to Vythiri on this goodfriday weekend. Please indicate best route from Bangalore ? Google map shows 2 routes
1. Blr-> Mysore-> Nanjanagude->Gundlupete ->Vythiri ( Some woad work signs near Nanjanagude)
2. BLR-> Kanakpura->Chamarajanagar->Gundlupete ->Vythiri

Any good options for food (preferably non veg) en route & in Vythiri is welcome.
Current plan is to start early morning on Friday from Bangalore. and start the return journey on Monday morning to avoid the crazy Mysore rode traffic on Sunday afternoon.
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:05   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Please indicate best route from Bangalore ? Google map shows 2 routes
Bangalore - NICE Road - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Vythiri if you want to avoid the traffic on Mysore - Bangalore Highway. Good roads throughout. But limited number of good eateries enroute (Sangam Paradise in Kanakapura and Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajnagar)
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:49   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Planned a trip to Vythiri on this goodfriday weekend. Please indicate best route from Bangalore ? Google map shows 2 routes
1. Blr-> Mysore-> Nanjanagude->Gundlupete ->Vythiri ( Some woad work signs near Nanjanagude)
2. BLR-> Kanakpura->Chamarajanagar->Gundlupete ->Vythiri
If you can start by 5 am latest, route 1 should be good. If it is past 5-5.30, traffic wise 2nd route will be better. As mentioned by Klub Class, no real good eateries on the 2nd route.

Several options for non veg food once you reach Bathery.
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:42   #255
BHPian

Thank you Klub class & Rajeevraj for quick response . I am planning to start by 4:30 AM. My preference would be route 1 as that's familiar. For some unforeseen reason if its delayed I'll take route 2.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks