Team-BHP - On Bypassing Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   On Bypassing Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/84040-bypassing-bangalore-47.html)

Planning for a temple visit to Chikka Tirupati and from there headed towards Hubli.
I spent quite some time trying to check the chikkatirupati - hoskote-devanahalli-doddaballapura- dobaspet route, but google maps was showing a lot of twists and turns through village roads.

Given that PM is visiting Peenya tomorrow and there is a traffic advisory, i want to bypass Bangalore and head towards Hubli.
Can you please give me a more accurate route map to follow

https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-103038559

Quote:

Originally Posted by realactivex (Post 5611675)
Planning for a temple visit to Chikka Tirupati and from there headed towards Hubli.
I spent quite some time trying to check the chikkatirupati - hoskote-devanahalli-doddaballapura- dobaspet route, but google maps was showing a lot of twists and turns through village roads.

Given that PM is visiting Peenya tomorrow and there is a traffic advisory, i want to bypass Bangalore and head towards Hubli.

Drive on Doddaballapura Dabaspete section of STRR for around 35 km till you hit a major junction intersecting Bangalore-Pune (NH48) highway where you take right and merge ahead onto the main carriageway towards Hubli

This is the complete route from the point you are on Devenahalli-Doddaballapura part of STRR till the junction with Bangalore-Pune highway (Ignore the small diversion map is showing closer to Dabaspete for whatever reasons right now).

Suggestion is that you load the above way-points one after the other and reach Bangalore Pune highway because Gmaps still assumes there is no direct access to STRR from Devanahalli towards Dabaspete from Bangalore Hyderabad highway while in reality you can very well access I noticed it 2 weeks back.

As long as you manage the Hosakote Devanahalli part, you should have no issues driving towards Doddaballapura.

You can just load the above route when you cross Hyderabad highway underneath STRR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realactivex (Post 5611675)

When you are coming from Devanahalli towards Doddaballapur, STRR ends few KM before Doddaballapur town. You will have to use the regular 2-lane state highway till you exit Doddaballpur town.

You will pass by Hitachi Energy and L & T Hydraulics factories

L & T Hydraulics Doddaballapur
https://goo.gl/maps/MjBPALk23AwRAQnm8

Then you will enter Doddaballapur town and pass by police station (on your right),
Doddaballapura Town Police Station
https://goo.gl/maps/NqxV6Cvx1mZwuFek6

Take the left at the signal after the police station. You will now be on the road to Dobbaspet. You will get a mix of old 2-lane road + STRR but you don't have to take any major diversions. Ignore any Google instructions to enter village roads. Just keep straight and follow the trucks when in doubt.

What are the other alternative routes to get into Nelamangala town and onwards towards Hassan from Whitefield apart from the ORR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 5611736)
What are the other alternative routes to get into Nelamangala town and onwards towards Hassan from Whitefield apart from the ORR?

Depending on the time of day, through the city (Trinity > Cubbon Park > Kavery theate > Sankey Road > Yeshwantpura > NBTPL > Nelamangala) works out better for me, though I start from Marathahalli area. I don't think taking any of the orbital routes will save any time at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5611730)
Take the left at the signal after the police station. You will now be on the road to Dobbaspet. You will get a mix of old 2-lane road + STRR but you don't have to take any major diversions. Ignore any Google instructions to enter village roads. Just keep straight and follow the trucks when in doubt.

As long as you remember to turn left at this signal/roundabout, It is a pretty straightforward route, including exiting STRR onto the regular single carriageway route leading into Doddaballapura town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 5611736)

Whitefield - ORR - Hebbal - Yelahanka - Doddaballapura Road - CRPF - IVRI - Hesarghatta - Golahalli - Nelamangala - The route is from Hebbal to Nelamangala.

Pretty clean roads all the way, except 600 meters stretch after Golahalli. We drove only 2 days back from Yelahanka to Nelamangala and that 600 meter bad patch still exists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 5611776)

Is this worth taking when coming from East Bangalore? I'm going to Manipal on Sunday and might want to consider it. Google says 14 km / 30 mins difference over the regular ORR route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5611798)
Is this worth taking when coming from East Bangalore? I'm going to Manipal on Sunday and might want to consider it. Google says 14 km / 30 mins difference over the regular ORR route.

If the whole purpose is to beat traffic on ORR (Hebbal to Taj Vivanta) then yes, it is worth it because traffic on this (via Hesarghatta route) is pretty consistent. I have a friend who stays at Banaswadi and would always take Nelamangala Hesarghatta Yelahanka Hebbal route during his return trips to Bangalore from Hassan side.

From my experience of taking Yelahanka Hesarghatta Nelamangala route over the last few times, I can assuredly reach Nelamangala or Yelahanka in 45 minutes flat irrespective of the day of the week or time of the day. The only irritants here are:
- Crossing Nelamangala town till 4 lane road towards Golahalli begins (5-8 mins)
- 600 km bad patch near Golahalli (3-4 minutes)
- Crossing Hesarghatta town limits (2-3 minutes)
- And the new kid on the block, Yelahanka NES signal, applicable for return trips only (10 mins easily)

I think if you made it till Hebbal, you might as well take the ORR to reach Taj Yeswantpur and get on the elevated road. Off late, ORR near the railway bridge has been decongested due to closure of the right turn into Jalahalli. The only congestion is at the Taj signal which is manageable. Few years back, that Jalahalli right turn, railway bridge under construction and pre-fastag toll gate etc. used to be a nightmare but things are much better now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 5611806)
- And the new kid on the block, Yelahanka NES signal, applicable for return trips only (10 mins easily)[/indent]

rl:
Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5611820)
Few years back, that Jalahalli right turn, railway bridge under construction and pre-fastag toll gate etc. used to be a nightmare but things are much better now.

Very true; that part is far better now.

Now the left turn from Tumkur Road towards KIAL (GGPalya side) and the right turn from (again) Tumkur Road (Manyata side) are total nightmares.

Today, I had to travel from Hoskote to Chikkaballapura for a wedding and had a chance to take the STRR stretch from Hoskote to Devanahalli (and back). During my onward journey, I took the old NH 207 until Sulibele and took the STRR from there on.

The speed limit is marked as 80kms. The toll booth is located 2-3 kms after Sulibele exit ( when going from Hoskote to Devanahalli) and while all infra seems done, there is no toll collection just yet. The road is a combination of 4 lanes to 6 lanes ( elevated sections are 6 lanes and some non elevated sections are also 6 lane ). I'm not quite sure of why it isn't 6 lanes at all places, it's an important road, both for cargo vehicles and interstate/city travelers.

The exit to Chikkaballapur is around the Nandi Grand hotel near Nandi Hills cross at Devanahalli. The interchange from STRR to NH44 ( to Hyderabad and beyond ) is done poorly. You hit the NH44 and then travel a few meters towards the airport and then make a U turn on the NH44 to travel towards Chikkaballapur. The U turn is tricky given the high traffic flow on NH44. Once you make the U turn, you again get stuck at the traffic signal at Nandi Hills cross.

While all this is indeed messy, you are more than compensated for in terms of time by taking the STRR. It takes about 15-20 mins from Hoskote entry on STRR to Nandi Hills cross (Nandi Grand).

On my return from Chikkaballapur, I was again stuck again at the Nandi hills cross but it was smooth after that. The exit to Hoskote ( as is the entry ) on the STRR is somewhere near Indian Institute of Astrophysics ( Hoskote-Jangamakote road, SH 35 ). The exit is a bit of mess too. The exit at Hoskote is mandatory right now as the stretches beyond the Hoskote are not done fully. Once you take the exit, you have to 2 options, continue along the service lane to connect to Chintamani road or to the Kolar NH or take a right to get to Hoskote. If you take the right after the exit, you travel for about 4-5 kms on the broken Jangamakote-Hoskote road and then join the Chintamani road (SH82) and proceed further to join NH75 and turn towards Hoskote.

Overall a very important road done, but some of the time saved is lost in navigating the exits at Hoskote and Devanahalli. Can't wait for the whole STRR loop to be done.

Given that the stretch between Devanahalli and Doddaballapur-> Dobbespet is done too, it's nothing short of a resurrection for the erstwhile NH207. We used to take the NH207 when traveling from Hoskote to Tumkur/Hubli/Belgaum and the 85 kms to Dobbespet would take us about 90-95 mins in 2010, after which the road deteriorated badly in terms of traffic and tarmac, so much that it used to take 2.5 hours and we gradually moved to taking the ORR to get to Nelamangala braving all the city traffic.

I estimate that Hoskote to Dobbespet via the STRR would now take 65-75 mins given that you will pass through seamlessly without needing any interchange at Devanahalli - the road to Dobbespet sails over the Devanahalli junction. I'm yet to try the whole stretch to Dobbespet though.

Google maps doesn't know about the road yet and goes bonkers. However, there is sizable truck traffic already heading from NH44 to NH75 using this road. The tarmac is pretty smooth, no bad undulations. Most of the stretches are well-lit and I could see quite a few RTO vehicles checking trucks etc.

Three cheers for a great road and our dream of reaching Sira ( either via Chikkaballapur or via Dobbespet ) in a time lesser than the Nelamangala route is a distinct possibility. I would also not be averse to trying out Kunigal - Kudur- Dobbespet - STRR - Hoskote one of these days if returning from Hassan, even though it would be 30 kms more, I expect that it would take the same time or lesser and without the harrowing traffic of Nelamangala - Goraguntepalya - ORR - Kr Puram.

PS Mods, It's surprising that we don't have a thread dedicated to Bangalore STRR updates! Should we start one?

On Bypassing Bangalore-2023_0826_212439_001.jpg
Somewhere near the Toll gate near Sulibele.

On Bypassing Bangalore-2023_0826_213007_008.jpg

On Bypassing Bangalore-2023_0826_213222_013.jpg
The forced exit at Hoskote.

On Bypassing Bangalore-2023_0826_213305_015.jpg
Just after the exit from the main STRR, to your right is the road to Indian Institute of Astrophysics ( Jangamakote - Hoskote road ), which joins the Chintamani - Hoskote road after a few more kms which in turn joins the Kolar-Hoskote highway after another 2 kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 5612459)
The exit to Chikkaballapur is around the Nandi Grand hotel near Nandi Hills cross at Devanahalli. The interchange from STRR to NH44 ( to Hyderabad and beyond ) is done poorly. You hit the NH44 and then travel a few meters towards the airport and then make a U turn on the NH44 to travel towards Chikkaballapur. The U turn is tricky given the high traffic flow on NH44. Once you make the U turn, you again get stuck at the traffic signal at Nandi Hills cross.

Just wondering..

Can this be a stop gap arrangement? The ideal exits should be in the direction of the flow. So surely something does not add up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5612516)
Just wondering..

Can this be a stop gap arrangement? The ideal exits should be in the direction of the flow. So surely something does not add up.

Possible, but I couldn't see anything in the works. Huge trucks were taking this U turn right in the middle of NH44, so it certainly didn't add up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5612516)
Just wondering..

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 5612577)
Possible, but I couldn't see anything in the works. Huge trucks were taking this U turn right in the middle of NH44, so it certainly didn't add up.

I hope they do proactively start building a cloverleaf there. Once the STRR north and south sections are both up, I expect serious HCV traffic trying to make elaborate U-turns at that crucial junction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwasntme (Post 5589794)

And not so great an update:
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...u-2609575.html