Team-BHP - On Bypassing Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   On Bypassing Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/84040-bypassing-bangalore-56.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5735512)
In my opinion, that route is far better in terms of time and stress when compared to Jalahalli-Yeshwantpura-Nelamangala route - assuming connecting from SH 9 to STRR is quick and painless. Last time I took it crossing Dodballapura was a big pain in its own right - though I made better time than coming through Nelamangala.

I'm going to Shimoga via the Hiriyur-Tarikere link, btw. Not Hubli.

My time of travel and intermediate stops are such that the through-city route of Trinity-Cubbon Park-Sankey tank is ruled out.

What about Marathahalli - Whitefield - Budigere - Devanahalli - STRR - Dobbespet ? There will be some traffic (depending on time) upto whitefield and then relatively free after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5735512)
My time of travel and intermediate stops are such that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 5735628)
What about Marathahalli - Whitefield - Budigere - Devanahalli - STRR - Dobbespet?

As mentioned in the previous message, I have intermediate stops (on the ORR) to make.

Plus Whitefield-Devanahalli-Dabaspete is excruciatingly circuitous. Even Yelahanka-Devanahalli is. If at all the STRR works out to be a better option, it would be via Yelahanka-Rajanukunte.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5735630)
If at all the STRR works out to be a better option, it would be via Yelahanka-Rajanukunte.

If Yelahanka - Dodballapur is your preferred option, then it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to cross Dodballapur town and get onto the highway again. As mentioned by @NPV, it shouldn't be hard to get back onto STRR.
Since you plan to take Hiriyur - Tarikere, you could also try Dodballapur - Madhugiri - Sira. Also if Shimoga is on the plan, i would recommend C'Durga - Shimoga as the roads are great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5735316)
I understand the NH207 background. I used to love driving on that stretch. They have re-aligned it and definitely will help. I guess even with the extra detour it would be worth taking it and that too without any city traffic to intrude.

The last I remember reading was all the tenders on the KA-TN Border at Anekal via Bannerghatta, Kanakpura, Ramnagar, Magadi were canceled. That was few months ago. So not sure of the back ground and also current status of the same.

Guess it is still the same with tender cancellation. A nice writeup on complete plan and each piece of contract
https://themetrorailguy.com/nhai-ban...pdate-tenders/

Quote:

Originally Posted by airguitar (Post 5735628)
What about Marathahalli - Whitefield - Budigere - Devanahalli - STRR - Dobbespet ? There will be some traffic (depending on time) upto whitefield and then relatively free after that.

Instead, Marathahalli-Whitefield-turn right onto Old madras road-Hoskote-STRR-Dabaspete is much easier, better and faster. However, @binand wants to go via ORR since he has other planned stops en route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5735630)
Plus Whitefield-Devanahalli-Dabaspete is excruciatingly circuitous. Even Yelahanka-Devanahalli is. If at all the STRR works out to be a better option, it would be via Yelahanka-Rajanukunte.

On the contrary, if you did Whitefield-Hoskote-STRR it would be quicker than going via Budigere which will only get you behind the KIAL and you still need to cross Devanahalli whereas STRR skirts around Devanahalli, goes over the Hyderabad highway and you’re even skirting around Dodballapura.
Of course not an option for you this time probably due to your ORR stops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5735919)
Instead, Marathahalli-Whitefield-turn right onto Old madras road-Hoskote-STRR-Dabaspete is much easier, better and faster. However, @binand wants to go via ORR since he has other planned stops en route.

Yes, I have to pick up passengers from KR Puram railway station.

Plus, that "Whitefield-turn right onto OMR" wasn't that straightforward the last time I took it. It was blocked. I had to take a minor connector road at the Kattamanallur end, join OMR underneath the flyover in front of Decathlon and double back a bit. That time it was something like 4 AM, I expect it would cost me about 20-30 minutes during the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5735941)
Yes, I have to pick up passengers from KR Puram railway station.

Plus, that "Whitefield-turn right onto OMR" wasn't that straightforward the last time I took it. It was blocked. I had to take a minor connector road at the Kattamanallur end, join OMR underneath the flyover in front of Decathlon and double back a bit. That time it was something like 4 AM, I expect it would cost me about 20-30 minutes during the day.

There is a flyover coming up at the junction hence the detour though I actually see vehicles at all times during the day going the wrong side to cross over to the other side!

Also, if KR Puram railway station is the only stop you have, you could then drive towards Hoskote and get onto the STRR from the Chintamani road (the other connection from the SH 35 Industrial estate road was very bad few months ago so I avoid it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5735986)
Also, if KR Puram railway station is the only stop you have, you could then drive towards Hoskote and get onto the STRR from the Chintamani road.

I'm not sure why this would be an improvement. From KR Puram to the CCD outside Dabaspete, I see:

Via Hebbal-Yeshwantpura - 64 km, ~2 hours.
Via Trinity-Sankey tank / Ulsoor-Mehkri circle - nearly the same distance/time.
Via Yelahanka-Dodballapura - 82 km, time almost the same.

But...

Via Hoskote-STRR - 104 km, ~2.5 hours.
Via Yelahanka-Devanahalli - 98 km, ~2.25 hours.

My view is that I should pick the least stressful of the first three, hence my enquiry about the Dodballapura-STRR interchange. Others all seem suboptimal? Am I missing something here?

I had taken the STRR on my way back from Manipal earlier in Feb; I found crossing Dodballapura very painful then. I made the mistake of going towards Devanahalli but still got to Hebbal from Dabaspete in 1.5 hours with a tea break in between.

KR Puram, Hebbal, Yeswantpur, Tumkur highway route is not too bad these days. Hanging bridge junction (towards Hebbal), Manyata Techpark, Hebbal junction (towards Yeswantpur), railway bridge closer to Yeswantpur, etc are no longer that congested and traffic moves pretty smoothly by Bangalore standards.

I am doing a road trip from Delhi to Malappuram, Kerala and google maps is showing this route to bypass Bangalore. Is the road condition good for a sedan?

On Bypassing Bangalore-img_1717.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5736116)
Via Hoskote-STRR - 104 km, ~2.5 hours.

My view is that I should pick the least stressful of the first three, hence my enquiry about the Dodballapura-STRR interchange. Others all seem suboptimal? Am I missing something here?

Based on my own experience couple weeks ago when I took the STRR from Hoskote to Dabaspete and then drove onwards to Tumkur, it added 45km vs the Yeshwanthpur route but was really stress free and I didn’t exceed 90kmph anywhere. Gmaps estimate for Yeshwanthpur route was 2h:15 and I reached my destination via STRR in almost the same time. The return was via the same route with similar timing as well, it was a Sunday afternoon though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhound82 (Post 5736314)
I am doing a road trip from Delhi to Malappuram, Kerala and google maps is showing this route to bypass Bangalore. Is the road condition good for a sedan?

Kunigal to Maddur is an awesome wide 2L and is worth it. Not sure about Tumkur-Kunigal.

A more basic question: Are you planning to come via Bombay or Nagpur/Hyderabad? you should evaluate that option as well.

But if you chose to come via Pune, then yes Tumkur-Maddur may be a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5736447)
A more basic question: Are you planning to come via Bombay or Nagpur/Hyderabad? you should evaluate that option as well.

Am taking below route : Delhi- Kota - Dhole- Aurangabad - Solapur - Tumkur - Mysuru - Gudalur - Tirur ( Agra - Gwalior - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore is much easier but to avoid travelling through Bangalore)

On Bypassing Bangalore-img_1718.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyhound82 (Post 5736545)
Am taking below route : Delhi- Kota - Dhole- Aurangabad - Solapur - Tumkur - Mysuru - Gudalur - Tirur ( Agra - Gwalior - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore is much easier but to avoid travelling through Bangalore)

Just to avoid Blr you are taking detour ? you can plan in a way that you stay in Blr or outside Blr and avoid peak time in and out. Plan out stays and stop over and then decide. Guess you would have already considered those aspects
The Nagpur-Hyd route is very much free most of time. With any city bypass you need to see what is the peak time and avoid that

Has anyone tried the STRR’s Doddaballapura bypass after it was remotely inaugurated 3-4 days ago by the Prime Minister?
Any idea if the Doddahullur (junction near Chintamani road & the nearby industrial estate road SH 35) to Kolathur junction on Old Madras road is also open now?