Team-BHP - On Bypassing Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   On Bypassing Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/84040-bypassing-bangalore-48.html)

If Hoskote to Dobbspet is connected mostly then it makes even more sense for folks coming from Chennai to take the OMR instead of Vellore - Krishnagiri route. Earlier one of the drawbacks of OMR when going towards connectivity was the transit through city areas of Bengaluru compared to NICE connectivity from Electronic City while coming via Hosur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth (Post 5614555)
If Hoskote to Dobbspet is connected mostly then it makes even more sense for folks coming from Chennai to take the OMR instead of Vellore - Krishnagiri route. Earlier one of the drawbacks of OMR when going towards connectivity was the transit through city areas of Bengaluru compared to NICE connectivity from Electronic City while coming via Hosur.

Absolutely. If you can get easy way to bypass Bangalore when coming from Chennai, anything for it. Even I would suggest the same.

Today I got a chance to drive from Kanakapura to my home in Magadi Road via Harohalli Industrial area, Bidadi and Magadi Road via Kommaghatta. It is a clean 4 lane road from Harohalli Industrial area to Bidadi with few stretches of two lane roads. It took me about an hour to reach my home from Kanakapura without any toll and traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 5617424)
Today I got a chance to drive from Kanakapura to my home in Magadi Road via Harohalli Industrial area, Bidadi and Magadi Road via Kommaghatta. It is a clean 4 lane road from Harohalli Industrial area to Bidadi with few stretches of two lane roads. It took me about an hour to reach my home from Kanakapura without any toll and traffic.

Very nice to read this! I assume this is mainly for the industrial area connect to the expressway and possible also the STRR.

But what I am really curious is why the STRR work on Dobbaspet to Magadi has not taken off? That should be ideally the expansion of currently wide 2-lane to a 4-lane/6-sale.

Magadi-Kanakputa-Anekal sensitivity I understand. But the rest of the sections should be possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5617448)
Very nice to read this! I assume this is mainly for the industrial area connect to the expressway and possible also the STRR.

Magadi-Kanakputa-Anekal sensitivity I understand. But the rest of the sections should be possible.

The Anekal to Kanakapura stretch is very bad for about 20 km from Indlavadi to Goduru, have shared the route map from Kanakapura to Nelamangala.

Drove to Hullukudi betta from Hoskote last weekend.

Hoskote to Vishwanathapura ( 6-8 kms before Doddaballapur railway crossing ) is fully done. From Vishwanathapura to Kodigehalli (Hanabe Cross or Athreya medical college cross or whatever you call it ), a good 16 kms is the old NH 648 - broken and slow moving traffic. After this spot, the 4lane is again available towards Dobbespet.

Not sure of Kodigehalli - Doddabelavangala - Dobbespet - Gudemaranahalli - will find out in the coming days.

Quick question on entering Bangalore and reaching Carmelaram station on Sarjapur Road from Hyderabad.

I've read on the Bangalore to Hyderabad thread that there is now a new bypass from Devanahalli that goes via Suliele and Chikkahullur that leads to the BLR Chittoor highway near Hoskote. Apparently this is not marked on Google maps yet.

Will it make sense for me to take that route and then merge with the Chitoor highway and proceed towards KR Puram, Mahadevpura and Marathahalli and finally to Sarjapur Road?

The picture posted on that thread by someone seems to indicate a very good 4-lane bypass all the way till the Chitoor highway, so I am quite tempted. This apart, it seems to be only 10 kms longer than the traditional route via Hebbal and Tin Factory/ KR Puram.

I'm posting the query here because this thread seems to be more active. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 5619334)
Quick question on entering Bangalore and reaching Carmelaram station on Sarjapur Road from Hyderabad.

I'm posting the query here because this thread seems to be more active. Thanks in advance.

I've posted an update on the Hyd-BLR route thread. The new bypass is a great escape from the traditional route via Hebbal and Tin Factory towards Marathahalli. The only bottleneck is the stretch from Hoskote to KR Puram, especially at traffic signal before the left turn towards Kadugodi.

Yesterday had to go towards Dodaballapura, so thought of checking the completed sections of STRR.

From here on the Hoskote - Madanapalle / Horsley hills route https://maps.app.goo.gl/1YbWWf426vw6L5eF8 to just outside of Dodaballapura (till this location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/tf8xqiaESeEtfAvL8) the road is fully done and is a bliss to drive. Very less traffic. The one toll booth just near Hoskote side is not obviously not open.

From the start point mentioned towards East/ Old Madras highway / Kolar highway side the road is closed. From what distance I can see, it looks done, I am assuming the major delay that side will be the bridge over Old Madras highway, hope it gets done quickly.

For me the entire STRR route took less than 45 mins or so, once traffic picks up, it may be different story. However, since as of now the road is devoid of any signals or crossings, it will anyway be considerably faster that via city.

One negative aspect of the road design is that, though the greenfield section is partially access controlled with service lanes, the entry exit is ah-hoc and ill designed like the ones in Mysore - Bangalore road. Add to that, the road switches between being a 6 and 4 lane roads suddenly for no apparent reason. A good option of getting access controlled ring road like that of Hyderabad/ Chennai/ Delhi thrown down the lane by NHAI. More painful since this will act as the feed road to upcoming Chennai - Bangalore E-Way and also the planned Bangalore - Pune Eway.

Past Hoskote and off Hoskote - Malur highway, around here saw the road work ongoing, this looks like it may take few months to get done.

I am not sure if this section is done by Bangalore - Chennai EWay contractor or the STRR - Hoskote - Sarjapur - TN border package. Past this, I was not able to spot any road work being happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 5622331)
I've posted an update on the Hyd-BLR route thread. The new bypass is a great escape from the traditional route via Hebbal and Tin Factory towards Marathahalli. The only bottleneck is the stretch from Hoskote to KR Puram, especially at traffic signal before the left turn towards Kadugodi.

It will take some more time to have this fixed. But still I am not sure how easy it would be. Because the STRR does not have an exit at the Baglur-Malur road intersection or nearby. That would have been great. One will need to get off on the Old Madras Road at Hoskote and then drive back into the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 5622599)
Past Hoskote and off Hoskote - Malur highway, around here saw the road work ongoing, this looks like it may take few months to get done.
I am not sure if this section is done by Bangalore - Chennai EWay contractor or the STRR - Hoskote - Sarjapur - TN border package. Past this, I was not able to spot any road work being happening.

The exit on STRR from the expressway is I think after the e-way turns 90 degree. Also it's not the same contractor. STRR has its own bidding and contracting process (I think Hoskote to KA/TN Border is a Joint Venture between 2 companies who are working on it. Also the earth work is on in full steam and I think a lot of it is already done in this parts. Also even in TN the work is on full swing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5622682)
Because the STRR does not have an exit at the Baglur-Malur road intersection or nearby.

I am assuming this as in the currently work in progress / yet to be started package.
STRR is to pass the existing Sarjapur - Chikka Tirupati section of NH few KMs from Sarjapur side as per what I understood. This and then, the Hoskote clover flyover on to Tirupati highway once it gets done will be helpful.

STRR is not an access controlled highway, so the exits will not be much of an issue I feel.

However, yes, once this road joins the Hosur road side is when there will be a major advantage for those in this side of town who want to use this as an alternative to reach Tumkur road or the under construction Chennai E Way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 5622702)
STRR is not an access controlled highway, so the exits will not be much of an issue I feel.

As far as I know there are no exits planned on the SHs. I see Clover leaves planned only on NH intersections. Tumkur Road, Old Madras Road, Expressway (only STRR exit), Hosur Road, NH844, Kanakpura road, Mysore Expressway.

Magadi Road am not sure. Also what is surprising is no clover leaf on the Hyderabad highway. Not sure what is the plan there.

The route to access STRR till Devanahalli Exit and Back is easy. Sharing the route I took.

On Bypassing Bangalore-screenshot_20230911_091716.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5623707)
I see Clover leaves planned only on NH intersections. Tumkur Road, Old Madras Road, Expressway (only STRR exit), Hosur Road, NH844, Kanakpura road, Mysore Expressway.

Since I took the STRR from Dabaspete to Doddaballapura in July, I am inclined to believe that the clover leaf kind of entry/exits at this junction may not happen anytime soon. If at all this is planned, it better be elsewhere and not at this junction.

NHAI widened the road that starts from Dabaspete to make way for STRR which otherwise was an extremely narrow path right after taking left at Dabaspete. The road which is currently done also has welcome signages at the very beginning of where 4 lane STRR beings at Dabaspete.

STRR in my opinion should be of great help to freight traffic and ideally such roads are to be designed keeping in mind the fact that large trucks will have to negotiate the entry and exit points. We were discussing, while it may not be a problem for cars or even trucks heading towards Doddaballapura from Dabaspete, for traffic in the opposite direction wanting to merge towards Tumkur from Doddaballapur, they will still need to take a right turn below NH48 under the overbridge. This for sure is not a friendly merger to NH48 especially if there are mutli-axle trucks. The junction itself is congested as it also leads to Shivagange-Gudemaranahalli-Magadi & Madhugiri. The area below the overbridge is filled with carts, tempos and autos all the times.

Expecting a cloverleaf here at this junction is wishful thinking considering that NH48 itself is on an overbridge here. There is simply no place for a cloverleaf like entry/exit here unless they are doing to demolish a considerable area of the busiest section of Dabaspete town here.

Talk about planning, the Dabaspete Doddaballapura Devanahalli section of STRR in 2023 is still a 4 lane road. While the alignment of the route is not a question, 4 lane road will soon get busier once trucks and private vehicles start to take this road regularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5623707)
As far as I know there are no exits planned on the SHs.

Clover leaf kind of proper exits from the Hoskote till Dodaballapura, its not present. Not sure what was the logic in having that only for old madras road.

However, that aside, the exits are present in plenty and are ill designed as Parag mentioned.

For example, from Budigere road entry till Devanahalli bye-pass, there are 3 entry / exits. None of them are properly designed, its almost similar to the ones on Mysore - Bangalore road. With trucks entering / exiting it, it will be a mess for sure. Do note that these are random entry / exits made since road work is in progress, but its properly marked ones - both signboard & lanes (or lack of it, when 3 lane suddenly becomes 2 lane)

Past Devanahalli towards Dodaballapura where alignment is same as earlier, its just a 4 lane road without any service road and hence no entry /exit logic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 5624120)
While the alignment of the route is not a question, 4 lane road will soon get busier once trucks and private vehicles start to take this road regularly.

Yes. I was hoping that since eventually this road will connect 2 expressways, it will be a proper access controlled road like Hyderabad ring road (not NHAI) or atleast Chennai ring road. But :Frustrati