Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 14:53   #256
BHPian

Re: Goa Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Ravi,thats quite a "long" suggestion.Your reccomended route adds up close to 200kms to the direct route which IMO is a waste,especially when the direct route via Amboli is absolutely fine.(Kolhapur-Belgaum 90,Belgaum-Hubli 90,Hubli-Baleguli Cross-180,Baleguli Cross-Karwar 40 Karwar-Madgaon 70km Total of approx 450kms) while the direct route via kolhapur-sankeshwar-amboli-panjim-madgaon is around 240kms

Hi Drivepassion,I saw your posts on so many different threads asking for the same detail,I dont think you would get a different reply.The best route for you to take would be the Sankeshwar-Amboli-Panjim-South Goa,approx 240kms to madgaon and can be covered in approx 5hours.There is a different and offbeat route from Belgaum to Goa via Tilari which I dont think you would be interested in as it has quite a bit of offroading to.Write to Sahir for more details.I would reccomend you stick to the Amboli route and enjoy your drive.
As i had mentioned , the best route is via the sankeshwar route. The reason why i suggested the route via Hubli was the sheer pleasure of driving , as the roads are in real good shape. On our return journey we tried the NH4A , the stretch is hardly 170 Km but it took us almost 5 hrs to cross it.

Kolhapur which is 350 km from panvel was covered in flat 4:30 Hrs . Kohlapur to canacona via Hubli is another 400 Km which is easily do-able is 5 hrs. Its a bit longer but your back and suspension are taken care off.

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 12th December 2011 at 15:03.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:34   #257
BHPian

Hi

Do accept the logic of what Ranjit says however still for sheer driving pleasure would I would request Ravi to elaborate and detail the Hubli - NH63 - Karwar - Goa route - along with travel time from Hubli to Goa. Also taking into consideration the fact that I would be driving in from Delhi - Shirdi - Pune to Goa - I would not mind extra mileage while going in - I guess I am a driving buff
Old 12th December 2011, 16:42   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi Ranjit

I get your perspective - I gather Amboli ghats have narrow roads and there is one point where the landslide occurred which is a bottleneck - otherwise what about the condition of the road and traffic - waiting to hear from you.

Concurrently I did read in one of the threads that someone had done Belgaum Anmod ghats mollem route and they said that the craters had been filled in with mud and that mining trucks were off due to a SC ruling on mining

Please comment -
Amboli ghat roads are good to drive on, except that you will face fog en route.
Belgaum-Molem route is not in good shape currently and the mining trucks are back.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 16:46   #259
BHPian

Thanks HVK

I think what you and Ranjit have to say more or less closes the debate for me - just one more:

If I should take the Belgaum - Hubli - Karwar - Goa route as suggested by Ravi how is the:

1. Travel time
2. Mining Trucks density
3. Extra Kms done
Old 12th December 2011, 17:50   #260
BHPian

Hi all

If I take the Hubli karvar goa route what would be the travel time if I start from Hubli at 4 AM and where do I encounter the ghats
Old 12th December 2011, 18:00   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Do accept the logic of what Ranjit says however still for sheer driving pleasure would I would request Ravi to elaborate and detail the Hubli - NH63 - Karwar - Goa route - along with travel time from Hubli to Goa. Also taking into consideration the fact that I would be driving in from Delhi - Shirdi - Pune to Goa - I would not mind extra mileage while going in - I guess I am a driving buff
Hello Drivepassion, good to hear that you don't mind the extra kms. I regret not taking this road during my return trip. My friend is from Karwar , and he regularly does this stretch .According to him the roads are extremely good i.e Makhan .

Kohlapur -Belgaum: 1.30 Hrs (Taking into account fog at nipani else 1 hr Max ).
Belgaum - Karwar : 270 Km : 3.30 Hrs (Max )
Karwar - Canacola (goa) : 30 Km : Half hour.

Total Travel Time : 5 Hrs . With some sprinted driving i think u can do it in much lesser time . Here is the turn connecting NH4 and NH63. I don't remember the name of the place , i will update you once i have a word with him.
Name:  nh63.png
Views: 530
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 12th December 2011 at 18:04.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:11   #262
BHPian

Hi Ravi

Thanks for the update - will wait for your input on the turn off - just a few queries:

1. Do you turn off for Karwar from Hubli(on NH4 I assume)
2. Recommended hotel in Karwar for night stay(your friend may be able to help)
3. When do we cross the ghats
Old 12th December 2011, 18:42   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK

I think what you and Ranjit have to say more or less closes the debate for me - just one more:

If I should take the Belgaum - Hubli - Karwar - Goa route as suggested by Ravi how is the:

1. Travel time
2. Mining Trucks density
3. Extra Kms done
DrivePassion , if you take the Pune-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Panji-Canacona( assuming the southern most tip of goa) the distance is around 500Km . If you take the route suggested by me its 640 Km. So its just 140 km extra not a big deal i guess.

Another point the road between Sankeshwar and Sawantwadi is very Motorable but don't expect to do a 80/100 on these roads . Your average speed will remain between 50/60. Regarding the mining trucks , i have no idea but can get u an update . Hope this helps and have a happy Safe Journey.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:06   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravi

Thanks for the update - will wait for your input on the turn off - just a few queries:

1. Do you turn off for Karwar from Hubli(on NH4 I assume)
After you enter the Dharwad-Hubli bypass, travel 30 kms (bypass is 31 kms long) till you reach a intersection (or underpass) where you see Hubl to the left and the NH63 towards Karwar to the right. No need to go into Hubli city. Clear signage.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:23   #265
BHPian

HVK

I am a little confused - where do I get the Dharwad Hubli Bypass - does it branch off from NH4
Old 12th December 2011, 20:31   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
DrivePassion , if you take the Pune-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Panji-Canacona( assuming the southern most tip of goa) the distance is around 500Km . If you take the route suggested by me its 640 Km. So its just 140 km extra not a big deal i guess.

Another point the road between Sankeshwar and Sawantwadi is very Motorable but don't expect to do a 80/100 on these roads . Your average speed will remain between 50/60. Regarding the mining trucks , i have no idea but can get u an update . Hope this helps and have a happy Safe Journey.
Ravi

I think I will go with this route and post a travelogue with pic once I am back - this one is great for me considering that driving is an experiential obsession with me and concurrently considering that I would be driving a Honda City - we all know what the ground clearance for this beauty is!
Old 12th December 2011, 21:48   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
After you enter the Dharwad-Hubli bypass, travel 30 kms (bypass is 31 kms long) till you reach a intersection (or underpass) where you see Hubl to the left and the NH63 towards Karwar to the right. No need to go into Hubli city. Clear signage.
HVK

How do I identify the point of turnoff from NH4 and when do the ghats start on this route and is is OK to drive by night between Hubli and Goa
Old 12th December 2011, 21:52   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK

How do I identify the point of turnoff from NH4 and when do the ghats start on this route and is is OK to drive by night between Hubli and Goa
Clear signage showing Hubli to left and Karwar to right. You cannot miss it. If you do, within 1 km or so, you will reach the end of the Dharwad-Hublu bypass (and the exit toll gate).

If recall correctly, after Yellapura (some 65 kms from the turn off), the steeper sections of the ghat roads start.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:20   #269
Senior - BHPian

Here is the GMaps of the point:

NH 4 to Hubli-Karwar Rd - Google Maps
Old 13th December 2011, 08:29   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Clear signage showing Hubli to left and Karwar to right. You cannot miss it. If you do, within 1 km or so, you will reach the end of the Dharwad-Hublu bypass (and the exit toll gate).

If recall correctly, after Yellapura (some 65 kms from the turn off), the steeper sections of the ghat roads start.
Finally hvkumar , to the rescue. Thank you sir for the detailed information. Drivepassion if you are bit concerned driving on the ghats at night , plan your trip from pune to belgaum in such a way you reach belgaum early morning .You can then safely cruise through the ghats or May be a night halt at kohlapur/belgaum will take care of your concern.

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 13th December 2011 at 08:38.
Ravi Yadav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks