Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 08:07   #106
Senior - BHPian

Dream diesel, I will be travelling to bangalore on saturday 20 Dec vasco karwar ankola hubli haveri chitradurga bangy. and will post the current state of roads after my trip.
Palolom beach is hardly 20 kms from KA GA border.
regards
GD
Old 28th December 2008, 12:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. the route I finally took was

Hyderabad-Jadcherla (leave Bangalore highway here)-MahbubNagar-Raichur-Gangawati-Gadag-Hubli/Dharwad-Ankola-Gokarna. A small patch near Gadag was bad and there was quite a bit of Lorry traffic from the opposite direction. I was still able to manage around 100Kmph on this stretch. There were couple of broken patches again before Ankola (turnoff on NH17 to Gokarna). All in all, we too around 14 hours for 700 kilometers. Gokarna was amazing...beautuful uncrowded white beaches with crystal clear water and less than half the commericalisation of Goa.

Three days later I drove to Goa on NH17, took us around 3 hours to complete the 132 odd kilometers (Varca beach in south goa) with so so road but awesome natural beauty. The issue is that as you get closer to Goa, the road gets narrower and that slows you down..
Old 14th November 2009, 15:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
no man.
kolhapur-gaganbavda route leads to kharepatan on nh17.
as far as kolhapur ratnagiri road is concerned, as you are going to goa, why are taking this route?. it means that you will travel to north west direction than south west travel to goa.
Attachment 38244
Ashish
I have a query here to an old post of yours.
If you view this map Google Maps

You will notice that at gaganbawda, if one turns left you can continue south west on the same SH115 to talere naka, passing Vaibhavvadi station, via kokisare . Wouldn't this be better than turning upwards on to SH114 and exiting at kharepatan on NH17? I think Spadival took this route in one of his old travelogues.
However Sawyer has mentioned that he used the talere naka exit sometime before the 2009 monsoons.
regards
Old 14th November 2009, 15:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
You will notice that at gaganbawda, if one turns left you can continue south west on the same SH115 to talere naka, passing Vaibhavvadi station, via kokisare . Wouldn't this be better than turning upwards on to SH114 and exiting at kharepatan on NH17?
You are correct.
One road from gaganbavda leads to vaibhavwadi and other road leads to kharepatan .
That post was in reference with some route query to go goa via kolhapur ratnagiri route.
Old 14th November 2009, 16:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashish
Now next query, any idea how is the condition of the kolhapur gaganbawda talere route post 2009 monsoons? I'm just considering a change from the Gadinglaj amboli sawantwadi route. This turn off is about 60 odd kms before sankeshwar. So one can have lunch at Sai international 31 kms before kolhapur, then proceed on to Nh17 via this route.
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 14th November 2009 at 16:53.
Old 14th November 2009, 17:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now next query, any idea how is the condition of the kolhapur gaganbawda talere route post 2009 monsoons?
on gaganbavda-vaibhavwadi-talera route, after getting down the ghat, there is [was] a bridge which washed away in this monsoon. there is a long diversion used as alternate to this bridge. do not venture on this route unless you confirm the condition of this bridge/ diversion.
better try kolhapur-radhanagari-phonda ghat-kanakvali route.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th November 2009 at 17:23.
Old 14th November 2009, 21:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
on gaganbavda-vaibhavwadi-talera route, after getting down the ghat, there is [was] a bridge which washed away in this monsoon.
better try kolhapur-radhanagari-phonda ghat-kanakvali route.
Ashish,
There my new route is washed away. Now will have to find out about the phondaghat route. Sawyer has posted on his recent travellogue about this route being bad for 50 kms approx between kolhapur to radhangari
Thanks for your update.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 14th November 2009 at 21:15.
Old 17th November 2009, 06:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

Duetch.. I used gaganbawda route for some other destination, not Goa.

What happened to moralfibre's patented nippani-amboli ghat-goa route? Washed away as well?
Old 17th November 2009, 09:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Spadival, That route of moralfibre is still there but is lacking in variety. From those two restaurants to Ajra it's lousy. From Gadinglaj to ajra it's ok. I was just thinking maybe the gaganbawda route will keep me wide awake.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this, if the bridge is washed away, then from what I read about where the bridge was, one can still proceed to Kharepatan from Bavda. After all the Kharepatan to Talere bit is not a huge distance, just 10-15 kms via NH17, if my memory serves me well.
The Radhanagari drive, with the huge lake is very scenic. Some bad roads, but these are there to some extent or the other, on every ghat crossing and the descent itself is an excellent road. The only exception to this bad road story is the road passing by M'war, but that gets you off NH4 way too early to make full use of its time cutting act.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:36   #116
Senior - BHPian

Sawyer any idea wher this bridge is located?. If after Gaganbawda from Kolhapur then I suppose one could take the other Ghat. I had a good view at this on wikimapia, and here is what I've figured Somewhere at Gaganbawda ST stand, a right turn takes you to BhuiBawda Ghat One of the twin Gaganbawda ghats, that leads you to Karephatan,
A left turn takes you to Karul / Gaganbawda Ghat Karul Ghat the other of the twin Gaganbawda ghats, Vaibhavvadi Station, Kokisare, and Telere Naka
After both ghats you come to a fork. At either fork you need to take the outer road. i.e. right one going towards Karephatan after the BhuiBawda Ghat and left one towards the telere naka after the Karul Gaganbawda ghat. If you take the inner one you can go to inner road of the other ghat fork.. amazing
Old 18th November 2009, 06:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Haven't a clue, I said what I did based on what Ashish posted about what route the bridge was on. From that it seemed that the Bavda Kharepatan road was not affected.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sawyer any idea wher this bridge is located?. If after Gaganbawda from Kolhapur then I suppose one could take the other Ghat. I had a good view at this on wikimapia, and here is what I've figured Somewhere at Gaganbawda ST stand, a right turn takes you to BhuiBawda Ghat One of the twin Gaganbawda ghats, that leads you to Karephatan,
A left turn takes you to Karul / Gaganbawda Ghat Karul Ghat the other of the twin Gaganbawda ghats, Vaibhavvadi Station, Kokisare, and Telere Naka
After both ghats you come to a fork. At either fork you need to take the outer road. i.e. right one going towards Karephatan after the BhuiBawda Ghat and left one towards the telere naka after the Karul Gaganbawda ghat. If you take the inner one you can go to inner road of the other ghat fork.. amazing
Hi DF,the only disadvantage with the Bawda route & Phonda route is that you would need to negotiate Kolhapur town traffic and the twists and turn offs inside the town.Otherwise Phondaghat route is a more scenic drive as compared to Bawda route.You would also cross the Dajipur Bison Sanctuary located on the backwaters of the Radhanagari dam on this route and the drive is quite spectacular.Coming from Panjim,on NH17,you need to turn right after Kankavli town.Ask for Phonda/Radhanagari. For the Bawda route,you need to travel further and then take a right after Nandgaon on NH17.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

Yes you're absolutely correct ranjit. Kolhapur town will be difficult for me, to navigate the turns and negotiate the traffic. But lets see I will study the map and maybe I wont have such a problem then. The only reason I prefered Gaganbawda to phondagaht is a bad strech of 50 kms from kolhapur town to radhanagiri. And Gaganbawda is a bit shorter too. Thanks for your inputs. If only the NH204 was directed south west from the NH4 towards the NH17. The amba ghat road looks very good to drive on.
Regards
Old 18th November 2009, 16:15   #120
Senior - BHPian

Kolhapur is not that difficult, it is a small town really in that sense, all you need to do is stop a few times at intersections and ask questions of the auto guys. Or, hire the first one you find to lead you as a pilot to the road you want, it will take 15-20 mins only. Victor Palace is a good place too, for lunch, and I am sure there are some other good places.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks