Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 15:00   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goa Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Road till phonda is good, the ghat section is good as well. The problem is on NH 17, its not good to drive. You should avoid NH17 as far as possible. Try Kolhapur - Belgaum - Goa. If you want to visit some place in North Goa, you can try Kolhapur - Nipani - Gadhinglaj - Ajra - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa
My destination is Calangute, Goa. Belgaum - goa route will be longer, little more time consuming I suppose.

The other route I looked at google maps is from pune - Kolhapur - Gaganbawda (state highway 115) - Vaibhavwadi - Talere naka - back on NH17 just before Nandgoan.

How is the ghat section on Nipani -> Amboli route ?
I am travelling with my wife whose to prone to some motion sickness plus 320d is relatively newly so want to avoid the bad roads.
Any idea what's the best with least amount of ghat travel.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:20   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
My destination is Calangute, Goa. Belgaum - goa route will be longer, little more time consuming I suppose.

The other route I looked at google maps is from pune - Kolhapur - Gaganbawda (state highway 115) - Vaibhavwadi - Talere naka - back on NH17 just before Nandgoan.

How is the ghat section on Nipani -> Amboli route ?
I am travelling with my wife whose to prone to some motion sickness plus 320d is relatively newly so want to avoid the bad roads.
Any idea what's the best with least amount of ghat travel.
Phonda ghat is the longest but best road (Ofcourse road is bad when you hit NH 17 later)
Amboli ghat section is okay, not that bad now (The road condition was bad till sometime back due to landslides in the last monsoon season)
Belgaum goa will be longer for you as you are heading for north goa but that road is supposedly the best one as mentioned in this same thread.
Gaganbawda road, the ghat section is pretty long with too many turns which you would want to avoid (Though this is the shortest route).

So you got to take your decision now
Old 18th April 2011, 02:33   #213
BHPian

Returned to Goa from Mumbai by NH-17 on 17th April. Carpeting is in progress on various patches, but much of the road still has a broken surface. I took nearly 12 hours from Bandra to Madgaon, as against 10 hrs 20 min via Pune/Belgaum on my last trip in February.

db
Old 18th April 2011, 14:07   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
Returned to Goa from Mumbai by NH-17 on 17th April. Carpeting is in progress on various patches, but much of the road still has a broken surface. I took nearly 12 hours from Bandra to Madgaon, as against 10 hrs 20 min via Pune/Belgaum on my last trip in February.

db
What I understand from you is that NH17 would be a bad idea to take to Goa. How bad is it? I have never travelled on the Pune Kholapur Goa route. Could some one please provide markers / Toll booths that one has to keep an eye out while on the expressway?

thanks
RoS
Old 18th April 2011, 16:46   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
What I understand from you is that NH17 would be a bad idea to take to Goa. How bad is it? I have never travelled on the Pune Kholapur Goa route. Could some one please provide markers / Toll booths that one has to keep an eye out while on the expressway?

thanks
RoS
Just go on NH 4 till Belgaum and it is a blast except for Pune - Satara stretch where you will encounter bit of traffic both from two wheelers and those going towards mahabaleshwar.

After Belgaum take the road to Panjim via Amboli - Sawantvadi. The road condition is decent and hardly any traffic. You will have added bonus of driving through picturesque Amboli ghat with couple of waterfalls.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:52   #216
BHPian

Thanks Fauji. I've always travelled on NH17 this should be a new experience.

RoS
Old 19th April 2011, 10:32   #217
BHPian

I am planning for a trip to goa this weekend. Please suggest best route to North Goa from Bangalore. I am planning to leave on Thursday night and return on Monday evening/ night.

Suggestion to stay and things to do are always welcome.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:41   #218
BHPian

Hello Mac187, Go through this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-route-94.html

Search Team-bhp and you will find all your answers. There a lot of things to do in Goa whatever your taste. Accommodation in Goa can be found in beach side huts (Rs.600 onwards) Hotels (Rs1000 onwards) Villas, boutique hotels, home stays and lodges.

In north Goa I prefer candolim to calangute as it is less crowded. Go through the site.

Regards
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 10:42   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
After Belgaum take the road to Panjim via Amboli - Sawantvadi. The road condition is decent and hardly any traffic. You will have added bonus of driving through picturesque Amboli ghat with couple of waterfalls.
Hi Fauji,

Could you please elaborate on how to join this Belgaum - Amboli road, if I am travelling to Belgaum from Kolhapur side? Do I have to enter Belgaum city, or is there any turn off on NH4 itself before/after the exit to Belgaum city?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th April 2011 at 10:43.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:59   #220
BHPian

Could you please elaborate on how to join this Belgaum - Amboli road, if I am travelling to Belgaum from Kolhapur side? Do I have to enter Belgaum city, or is there any turn off on NH4 itself before/after the exit to Belgaum city?

Cheers,
Vikram[/quote]

When coming from kolhapur, take the first exit for belgaum. You will then come to a under pass, Take a right here. after the underpass, if you take a left , you go towards the city. If you want to drive straight towards amboli, Go straight and dont take the left. This is a bypass to Amboli / Sawantwadi.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:37   #221
BHPian

Guys,

If you want to take the Amboli route, there is no need to go up to Belgaum, just take the Sankeshwar exit (after Nipani), take a right turn towards Gadhinglaj and follow the road Gadhinglaj -> Ajra -> Amboli.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:52   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
When coming from kolhapur, take the first exit for belgaum. You will then come to a under pass, Take a right here. after the underpass, if you take a left , you go towards the city. If you want to drive straight towards amboli, Go straight and dont take the left. This is a bypass to Amboli / Sawantwadi.
Thank you very much Sahir! This will help the next time I travel to Goa.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th April 2011, 12:02   #223
Senior - BHPian

NH4A has been reported to be in good condition,so going via Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda is a good option as well.

PS:Sahir,how did your HYD drive come along?
Old 19th April 2011, 12:13   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH4A has been reported to be in good condition,so going via Belgaum-Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda is a good option as well.
Yup, you're right ranjitp1! However, I've gone to Goa via this route (and also via Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi and Nippani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi). So just wanted to explore a new one.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th April 2011, 12:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

PS:Sahir,how did your HYD drive come along?
Ranjit,
The trip was good, thanks for your help on the same. I took the Belgaum - bagalkot - raichur - hyderabad route to & fro. The route is good and the speedbreakers are a pain.

Regarding, Khanapur - londa - mollem - ponda, there is a possibility that you get stuck in the minning tipper traffic after mollem. Amboli - sawantwadi - panjim is adviseable.

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks