Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 14:26   #7501
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Konanur - Kushalnagar is the route. Google sometimes routes you directly from Arkalgud to Konanur via a very narrow stretch of road - do ensure that you go via Ramanathapura. Arkalgud - Ramanathapura stretch was redone sometime last aug/sep and was reported to be good. Not sure if the road works you are talking about is after that time period.
I guess it the Arkalgud-Ramanathapura stretch itself, that I was talking about. So, between the above route and the arkalgudu - shanivarasanthe - somwarapete - madikeri route, which is recommended if I am going towards Mangalore?
Old 5th February 2018, 14:37   #7502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I guess it the Arkalgud-Ramanathapura stretch itself, that I was talking about. So, between the above route and the arkalgudu - shanivarasanthe - somwarapete - madikeri route, which is recommended if I am going towards Mangalore?
Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Kushalnagar might be slightly faster as its not twisty. If you want a nice twisty drive then somwarapete - madikeri is good. Roads on both stretches are good except for a small stretch between Ramanathapura - Konanur temple which passes through Konanur town.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 18:38   #7503
BHPian

Any latest reports on Charmadi traffic chaos? Are the heavy vehicles restricted or is it open to all?
Have to drive to Udupi this Friday - 9th Feb, starting @6PM from Bangalore.
Old 12th February 2018, 20:18   #7504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Any latest reports on Charmadi traffic chaos? Are the heavy vehicles restricted or is it open to all?
You would have completed the drive by now and hence better placed to answer the query .

Just out of curiosity, i drove along a part of this route yesterday and found that the chaos is yet to subside. Large tourist buses appeared to be the major cause of blocks at many places. Also, the sheer number of vehicles make it difficult for the authorities to regulate traffic. Until the Shiradi ghat is opened, traversing this route will demand a lot of patience and time.

Meanwhile, the raison d'être of the trouble:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20180211_114533.jpg

Entrance to Shiradi closed: In front of Manjrabad fort, Sakaleshpura

Last edited by dailydriver : 12th February 2018 at 20:24.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 21:27   #7505
BHPian

Hi need to travel to Udupi tomorrow I plan to start my drive from Bangalore at 4.00Pm . Need information about the traffic condition in the Charmadi route? Is it better to take the Chennarayapatna-Holenarasipura- Arkalgodu- Madikeri route?
Old 14th February 2018, 21:35   #7506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
Hi need to travel to Udupi tomorrow I plan to start my drive from Bangalore at 4.00Pm . Need information about the traffic condition in the Charmadi route? Is it better to take the Chennarayapatna-Holenarasipura- Arkalgodu- Madikeri route?
If its Udupi, why not Agumbe? You can go via Thirthahallu/Agumbe/Someshwar/Hebri/Udupi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 06:30   #7507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its Udupi, why not Agumbe? You can go via Thirthahallu/Agumbe/Someshwar/Hebri/Udupi.
What is suggested route to Thirthahalli ?
Map suggests via Hiriyur OR Arsikere with marginal travel time difference and both have some extent of tolls. Please advise if anybody is frequent on this route.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 15th February 2018 at 06:37.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:48   #7508
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
What is suggested route to Thirthahalli ?
You can do Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli.
You get 4/6 lane upto Chitradurga and the road widening work closer to Shimoga is almost complete as per recent posts here, so this will be good if you start early morning from Bangalore.

Between Shimoga-Tirthahalli on this route you have option for quick visits to Gajanur dam and Sakrebyle elephant camp both accessible from the road directly.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 10:30   #7509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli.
Thanks NPV. Is driving all the way to Chitradurga necessary, just wondering diversion at Hiriyur will help. Also, my requirement is to drive upto Hebri so exploring if Hassan - Chikkamagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe route is any good,its scenic for sure.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:36   #7510
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, my requirement is to drive upto Hebri so exploring if Hassan - Chikkamagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe route is any good,its scenic for sure.
I thought your destination was Tirthahalli. Even if it's not, having taken this route earlier, I would prefer this compared to Hassan-Chikkamagulur or Hiriyur-Tarikere route.

Hassan-Chikkamagalur is good but probably will have more traffic these days since Shiradi is closed.

Last edited by NPV : 15th February 2018 at 10:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:03   #7511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV. Is driving all the way to Chitradurga necessary, just wondering diversion at Hiriyur will help. Also, my requirement is to drive upto Hebri so exploring if Hassan - Chikkamagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe route is any good,its scenic for sure.
I would any pick Agumbe if my destination is Hebri.

The traffic that you would encounter most will be till Belur after which it will still be the usual traffic to Sringeri that you will see after Belur since Mangalore or Kalasa traffic would have headed towards Mudigere anyway.

The progress beyond Chikmagalur will be slow mainly due to continuous twisty roads all the way but then nothing should be unusually heavy (In comparison) to how Charmadi gets when Shiradi is closed.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:15   #7512
BHPian

Quote:
Hassan - Chikkamagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe route is any good,its scenic for sure.
This route is good all the way except little rough patches between Chikkamagaluru and Adluru. Since as NPV mentioned Shiradi closed, vehicle taking Charmadi route give you company till Beluru. Thus traffic might be high between Hassan Nh75 junction till Beluru (This road is two lane). In addition, Shimoga-Thirthalli-Agumbe is short ghats (100km, less twists and turns) compared to Chikkamagaluru - Agumbe(121km, more twists and turns) route. If you intended to drive non-stop in ghats, Shimoga-Agumbe route is advised.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 15:57   #7513
BHPian

How about the route, Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shivamogga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi. I went on this route till Agumbe 5 years back. The route was very scenic and roads were good too.
According to Google Maps, it's only ~30 minutes more than the regular route via Hassan, Shakleshpur. If the roads are in as good condition as they were 5 years back then I think this route will be worth the extra time.
I am planning a trip next week.
Old 18th February 2018, 11:18   #7514
BHPian

I might have to travel to Bantwal next month for a function. Which route is better in terms of roads and traffic congestion - the Charmadi ghat one, or the one via Madikeri?
Old 18th February 2018, 11:38   #7515
BHPian

Hello All,

A lot of people seem to have questions on roads around Shivamogga and Thirthahalli, more so after the closure of Shiradi. Pls check Bangalore-Shimoga thread for latest updates. I had updated a couple of months back, I suspect conditions would be similar.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks