Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 18:05   #1456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I don't think 4 laning work until Bellur cross has slowed down. But, I doubt that work on the Bellur cross-Hassan stretch will even start, atleast till this govt is in power.
Goverment may come and Goverment may go. But its been almost 4 years and still the Nahional Highway authorities have not been able to give better roads for public in Bangalore - Mangalore stretch.

I sometime wonder having all the latest technology in India, still we are not able to make a good road. Forget visiting foreign countires our authorities should visit atleast Maharastra where the national highways are just excellent. Even there more than 40 ton trucks ply including heavy haulage trucks with more than 200 ton capacity.

Again in the Shiradi ghat it was looking like the contract has been given to some local company and they are doing the work manualy. So dont expect good roads in future also.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:29   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Even there more than 40 ton trucks ply including heavy haulage trucks with more than 200 ton capacity.

Again in the Shiradi ghat it was looking like the contract has been given to some local company and they are doing the work manualy. So dont expect good roads in future also.
It not about 40 ton Trucks or 200 ton trucks, Its about a truck which has 10 ton limit carries a 50 ton weight, the weight distribution increases and pressure on road increases. This is what exactly happening with iron ore loaded bellary lorries.

Before these iron ore lorries came, there was average of 800 oil carrying massive trucks which used to move daily. But the roads were butter smooth.
Old 16th December 2009, 08:34   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I came back to Bangalore today from Mangalore after a two day visit. And here is the latest update on the road condition.

I had booked in Durgamba Motors sleeper coach bus from Bangalore. It left Bangalore at 10.30 PM.

The first stretch between Bangalore city and Nelamangala came as a surprise to me. The road was very clear in and around Jalahalli , Dasarahalli, 8th Mile stretch. Even at the check post road was quite clear. The bus reached Nelmangala at 11.15 PM. This is despite all the road work happening in this stretch. This stretch has a bit improved.
So i think anyone leaving out of Bangalore can go through the main road itself, there is no need to try out other alternative routes.

One more surprise, the 4 lane road work has picked up between Nelmangala and Kunigal. This stretch has become pretty rough. In many paces the roads are uneven. Be cautious in this stretch. In some places the roads become narrow.

Kunigal to Chenrayapatna is also not that smooth compared to earlier days. My bus managed to reach Udayapura, the Kamath Hotel at around 1.30AM. I found a new KSRTC Volvo that has been put to Kundapura from Bangalore.

Chenrayapatna to Hassan is pretty OK. My bus was just flying and i got a good sleep for a while. Hassan By-pass road stretch is bad as usual. The bus was dancing side to side.

Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch patch work has been completed. Something better than nothing. The road seemed to be OK and my bus was doing some good seed again.

Then comes the Shiradi ghat from Sakleshpur to Nelyadi. One word to say. "Horrible". Though in some places i saw patch work was done. 90% of the road is still in a pathetic shape.

I didn't even get 5 mins of sleep. My bus was coming down the ghat as if it was in a express way. It managed to over take 2 Volvo buses which were struggling to come down.

Another competition between a KSRTC sarige bus and my bus for sometime almost had a experience of a roller coaster ride. I thought if there was a cross country race for buses in the world. Our Indian driver's would win all the first three prizes.

By 4.30 AM it was in Nelyadi and again a tea break of 15 mins. Still the Volvo buses had not come down the ghat. They in fact left Kamath hotel before us.

Nelyadi - Uppinangadi - BC road. Almsot 80% patch work is done, stretch is a bit ok compared to earlier days. BC road - Mangalore - 40% work is completed. But the reaming 60% is just horrible.

And Guess what i reached Mangalore by 6.00AM. That's just in 7.30 Hrs to Mangalore with 30 + 15 mins break.

Overall: I think National Highway 48 needs to be renamed as Village Highway 48.

While coming i took the VRL Volvo. Bus was good. But roads were the same. It was pretty fast but it could not go like Ashok Leyaland in the bad stretch. It left at 10.30PM and reached Bangalore by 6.45 AM Almost 45 mins more than the normal Ashok Leyalnd bus to cover the same distance.

I can say god bless the Bus drivers who still struggle daily in such road condition. I feel the Government must make a resolution that politicians and authorities concerned should travel only by road in a normal bus. Only then these guys would realize our pain.

Photos and other updates in my next post.

Here are the pics from Mangalore trip, VRL Volvo had video also.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-030.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-027.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-179.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-picture-180.jpg  

Old 16th December 2009, 09:35   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics from Mangalore trip, VRL Volvo had video also.
@ Kadri

I never went in sleeper bus, just wanted to know will it be difficult in sleeper especially in shiradi ghat where road is worst? or is it better than sitting ?
Old 16th December 2009, 10:26   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
@ Kadri

I never went in sleeper bus, just wanted to know will it be difficult in sleeper especially in shiradi ghat where road is worst? or is it better than sitting ?
I have travelled in almost every kind of bus in Bangalore - Mangalore route. Be it 2+2 seater, 2+2 Semi sleeper,2+1 seater, 1+1+1 seater, 2+1 semi sleeper, 2+ 1 sleeper, 2+2 Sleeper.

I have been travelling in this route every month from Past 7.5 years. Earlier i used to travel every alternative week since roads were good. Now its come down to once a month due to bad roads.

And i have explored almost all buses in this stretch. Be it KSRTC or Private, Non AC, AC or Volvo.

I find 2+1 Non AC sleeper much comfortable since you can stretch your leg and sleep. Though the buses dance in the Shiradi ghats, still you wont feel the jerk so much as in a seater. I came back in Volvo seater and it feels more uncomfortable to sleep in the bad stretch.

If the driver of sleeper bus is very fast then sometime you may fly in your bed. But you have more space compared to seater. And atleast in the good stretch you can get some good sleep.

Last edited by kadri007 : 16th December 2009 at 10:27.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:47   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It not about 40 ton Trucks or 200 ton trucks, Its about a truck which has 10 ton limit carries a 50 ton weight, the weight distribution increases and pressure on road increases. This is what exactly happening with iron ore loaded bellary lorries.

Before these iron ore lorries came, there was average of 800 oil carrying massive trucks which used to move daily. But the roads were butter smooth.
+1,. even when there hundreds of gas tankers using this highway, the Bangalore-Mangalore Highway was considered among the best roads in the country. It was even listed among the top 10 best driving roads in India in an auto magazine.

A 40 ton truck or a 200 ton truck will have its weight distributed equally. This will not result in damages whereas the ore truck are totally overloaded which is resulting in roads being damaged everywhere they go and not only Shiradi ghat. It's just that the ghat roads are more vulnerable than other roads.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:50   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have travelled in almost every kind of bus in Bangalore - Mangalore route. Be it 2+2 seater, 2+2 Semi sleeper,2+1 seater, 1+1+1 seater, 2+1 semi sleeper, 2+ 1 sleeper, 2+2 Sleeper.

I have been travelling in this route every month from Past 7.5 years. Earlier i used to travel every alternative week since roads were good. Now its come down to once a month due to bad roads.

And i have explored almost all buses in this stretch. Be it KSRTC or Private, Non AC, AC or Volvo.

I find 2+1 Non AC sleeper much comfortable since you can stretch your leg and sleep. Though the buses dance in the Shiradi ghats, still you wont feel the jerk so much as in a seater. I came back in Volvo seater and it feels more uncomfortable to sleep in the bad stretch.

If the driver of sleeper bus is very fast then sometime you may fly in your bed. But you have more space compared to seater. And atleast in the good stretch you can get some good sleep.
Thanks for the information, will plan for next mangalore trip in sleeper if i don't get train. It seems recently launched day train is treat for our eyes in western ghats.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:53   #1463
BHPian

Someone traveled using a car/ private vehicle please update the conditions of road.
Understand the buses can take. But really keen on knowing if the Car (Dzire, in my case) can handle it? I am soon (24,25, 26, 27 December) in for a Trip to Dharmasthala/Subramanya.
I checked the buses and trains, all are running full.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 16th December 2009 at 10:54.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:00   #1464
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Someone traveled using a car/ private vehicle please update the conditions of road.
Understand the buses can take. But really keen on knowing if the Car (Dzire, in my case) can handle it? I am soon (24,25, 26, 27 December) in for a Trip to Dharmasthala/Subramanya.

You can use the Madikeri road to Subrahmanya. This should be the best for Dzire. I will be using the same road to Mangalore on 25.12.2009.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:04   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Kadri, what if the driver brakes hard? incase of the sleeper?
Old 16th December 2009, 11:06   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information, will plan for next mangalore trip in sleeper if i don't get train. It seems recently launched day train is treat for our eyes in western ghats.
You can try out Sugama or Durgamba, both have AC and Non AC 2+1 Sleeper coach. You can book online in redbus.

The night train has been extended to Kannur since Monday.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:12   #1467
BHPian

Quote:

In a car i would advice taking the Madikeri route to Subramanya. I saw many cars in Shiradi ghat at night struggling in the bad roads.

Buses have larger wheels and the drivers know in and out of the roads hence they cover this stretch easily.

While coming you can come via Charmadi route since going back all the way to Puttur will add up Kms and time.

Day time travel would be advisable.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:31   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kadri, what if the driver brakes hard? incase of the sleeper?
Sometimes it dances as you can feel the road inside the bus. Try avoiding seat no 13 (Single berth in Sugama AC sleeper) as it is just above the rear tyres. You can't sleep through out the journey.
Old 16th December 2009, 11:35   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
In a car i would advice taking the Madikeri route to Subramanya. I saw many cars in Shiradi ghat at night struggling in the bad roads.

Buses have larger wheels and the drivers know in and out of the roads hence they cover this stretch easily.

While coming you can come via Charmadi route since going back all the way to Puttur will add up Kms and time.

Day time travel would be advisable.
I second that. Madikeri is better than Shiradi any time. You can easily do it in your dzire. Roads are bad from Madikeri - Sampaji though.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:20   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
The Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Mangalore is the best way to get to Mangalore from Bangalore as of now if you are travelling by your own vehicle. Did this route last weekend in an Indica and it is slow but manageable and much much better than Shiradi.
Bangalore-Kushalnagar is a breeze as usual. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is horrendous to say the least. Try the Kushalnagar-Dubare-Bylakuppe-Siddapura-Madikeri route instead. This road adds 12 kms to your distance but can be done much faster thanks to its even nature. Madikeri-Sampaje ghat road is also bad. The onward road to Sullia is good in patches. Sullia-mani(Before BCRoad) is excellent. The less said about Mani-BCRoad-Mangalore the better Overall you get about 320 kms of good roads in a jurney of 410kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks